Sign in to follow this  
Rachel

Double spacing after a period means you're old

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

From my subordinates, I require double spacing after all sentence endmarks and colons.

Yes, we know you're old. 

I got this ingrained in my head when learning to type in elementary school, and I have a hard time stopping. My wife (who is all of 20 days older) has done some copy editing for books and thinks double spaces after periods is about the worst thing a human being can do.

According to Wikipedia the movement toward single spacing started a while back, but it seems quite plausible that learning to type in the early 90s one could reasonably have been told to double space things. Given that the average age of my computer teachers back then was easily over 65, even if convention had changed, it's easy to see how it got passed down.

5 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My wife (who is all of 20 days older) 

FUCK, I had a snazzy gif and everything because I read "20 years older" at first.

@legend Do you double space at the end of your sentences?  This is crucial to the peer review study that I am conducting.  Thanks you, and may God bless the USA. 

16 minutes ago, Boyle5150 said:

@legend Do you double space at the end of your sentences?  This is crucial to the peer review study that I am conducting.  Thanks you, and may God bless the USA. 

You mean manually like a peasant? No. If formatting matters, I use LaTeX, obviously, and it will automatically do the right thing.

I'm 35 and I can remember learning to type the proper way in school and being told that it was largely a personal choice. :shrug:

To be fair, I always questioned this habit in grade school growing up. Then came college with MLA documentation and all of THAT horse shit, yeah fuck all that nonsense. If there's A space, then you're welcome I took the time to do so.

Agree with OP. Two spaces after a period is weird and unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, johnny said:

What if I said you're weird and unnecessary?

7 hours ago, johnny said:

Finally you fucking acknowledge me. 

I'm sick and fucking tired of you constantly ignoring me on discord even though I mention you. 

It hurts my feelings :(