PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

13 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I dunno if I'd say "FTW." PS5 has a lot more coming, but I dunno, nothing on that last besides Yakuza and I guess Demon's Souls has me even vaguely interested. Seems like a typical middling launch line-up.  I'm not exactly thrilled to run out and spend $70+tax on a bunch of 6 hour launch games.

I mean, you guys are all free to hype up Destruction All-Stars as this year's Knack Souls or whatever, don't let me stop you.

A "typical" Sony and Microsoft console launch lineup is basically garbage.  Middling is too kind.  Microsoft's not even crossing that low bar this year without a brand new 1st party game at launch.

The PS5 line-up is the first time since the original Xbox that either company has a launch list I'd consider 'reasonably good.'  You wouldn't even need to spend $70 on a 6 hour game, because you get one packed in with the system.  Plus, Spiderman MM is discounted.

If you took Destruction All-Stars out of the picture entirely, the PS5 would still have a 'reasonably good' launch line-up.  I have no idea what's with the fixation some of you have with it.  The only thing to discuss is how little there is to discuss.

I'm still disappointed by how few actual next-gen exclusives we're getting, across the board.  But I'd take Sony's PS5 line-up over another Killzone/Knack or Resistance/Genji kind of launch.  It's not even a question.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Even this guy doesn't care about Destruction  All Stars.

24 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I have no idea what's with the fixation some of you have with it.  The only thing to discuss is how little there is to discuss.

Who even knows if DF got to play it yet.

50 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

A "typical" Sony and Microsoft console launch lineup is basically garbage.  Middling is too kind.  Microsoft's not even crossing that low bar this year without a brand new 1st party game at launch.

The PS5 line-up is the first time since the original Xbox that either company has a launch list I'd consider 'reasonably good.'  You wouldn't even need to spend $70 on a 6 hour game, because you get one packed in with the system.  Plus, Spiderman MM is discounted.

If you took Destruction All-Stars out of the picture entirely, the PS5 would still have a 'reasonably good' launch line-up.  I have no idea what's with the fixation some of you have with it.  The only thing to discuss is how little there is to discuss.

I'm still disappointed by how few actual next-gen exclusives we're getting, across the board.  But I'd take Sony's PS5 line-up over another Killzone/Knack or Resistance/Genji kind of launch.  It's not even a question.

HOWEVER, Fantavision and NFL Gameday 2001 gave Mario 64 a run for its money.

Why is everyone ganging up on Destruction All-Stars, exactly? Could be fun, but even if it didn't look fun to me, I'm all set with the rest of the line-up, not to mention Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart during the launch window.

Just now, SaysWho? said:

HOWEVER, Fantavision and NFL Gameday 2001 gave Mario 64 a run for its money.

Hopefully you're just joking here.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Why is everyone ganging up on Destruction All-Stars, exactly? Could be fun, but even if it didn't look fun to me...

I just want to see if it looks fun to play.  That shouldn't be that much of an ask 3 weeks before launch.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

They will, just not on launch day. A lot of retailers, like Amazon and Target, sent emails saying that they cannot guarantee that everyone will receive their console on launch day.

That's pretty typical of almost any launch. People are expecting their units will be on their doorstep the morning/afternoon of launch day and with the state of the postal system and the number of units that must be processed and delivered is just not possible. So some will get launch day, some will get it a few days later. People just need to learn to sit patiently.

Even for PS4, I had multiple units on order from the same retailer (they went to coworkers who had trouble getting one). Only 1 showed up launch day, the other the next day and the other a few days later. 

Regarding the launch day discussion. Dreamcast continues to be the only system with a good launch day lineup. :talkhand: (yes sure N64 with Mario 64 but that was the only game, Pilotwings fans do your worse).

40 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Why is everyone ganging up on Destruction All-Stars, exactly? Could be fun, but even if it didn't look fun to me, I'm all set with the rest of the line-up, not to mention Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart during the launch window.

I personally don't find rocket league exciting or interesting for me to play and yet it's a huge success played by many. I think people need to wait before making remarks. It's not like this forum hasn't shitted on a game recently that actually was loved by many (genshin impact).

21 minutes ago, chakoo said:

That's pretty typical of almost any launch. People are expecting their units will be on their doorstep the morning/afternoon of launch day and with the state of the postal system and the number of units that must be processed and delivered is just not possible. So some will get launch day, some will get it a few days later. People just need to learn to sit patiently.

Even for PS4, I had multiple units on order from the same retailer (they went to coworkers who had trouble getting one). Only 1 showed up launch day, the other the next day and the other a few days later. 

No, you misunderstand, the emails are stating it’s from high demand, not simply warning of delays from shipping times. Orders placed may not even be fulfilled with the launch shipments.

13 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Regarding the launch day discussion. Dreamcast continues to be the only system with a good launch day lineup. :talkhand: (yes sure N64 with Mario 64 but that was the only game, Pilotwings fans do your worse).

The N64 did have a pretty solid launch window though with games like Wave Race 64 and Wayne Gretzsky's 3D Hockey (first 4 player N64 game).

39 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Gamecube comes close.  Rogue Squadron II, Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, THPS3 and Wave Race: Blue Storm were all great games, IMO.  Smash Bros Melee also came out only 3 days later.

The original Xbox had a good launch too.  Halo is obviously the star, but there was decent stuff around it too like Project Gotham and DoA3.

PSP had a solid line-up too.  It was Sony's best effort until now.

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

No, you misunderstand, the emails are stating it’s from high demand, not simply warning of delays from shipping times. Orders placed may not even be fulfilled with the launch shipments.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious but I got the same emails over the PS4. This shit is the same for most launches. Retailers were given an initial quota which will get 95-100% filled by the initial shipments. Not to mention that some retailers will hold back some of their allocation.

18 minutes ago, Duderino said:

The N64 did have a pretty solid launch window though with games like Wave Race 64 and Wayne Gretzsky's 3D Hockey (first 4 player N64 game).

I didn't get mine at launch but got it at christmas as it was a gift for the whole family. So I benefited as we got Mario64 & Extreme G (I actually love this game). So window wise n64 got much better. Yet with that said we are talking about PS5 & XSX launch day lineup and not window. 

12 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Gamecube comes close.  Rogue Squadron II, Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball, THPS3 and Wave Race: Blue Storm were all great games, IMO.  Smash Bros Melee also came out only 3 days later.

The original Xbox had some solid games as well.  Halo is obviously the star, but there was decent stuff around it too like Project Gotham and DoA3.

PSP had a pretty good launch line-up.  It was Sony's best effort until now.

As a fan of WR64, WR:BS still continues to be a massive disappointment to me. I just don't find it very good. RS2, LM & SMB are all great games that still hold up. I was actually not hugely impressed with GCN launch and went with an Xbox instead. I waited out in the cold like a chump thinking demand would be high and yet there was only like 5 of us from midnight till 1h before the store opened, lol, on top of that of the 5 people there two were my friends who came with me to also buy one. Halo made it worth it.

PSP I didn't really consider because I was more focused on consoles than portables which tend to fair better for launch. PSP is one of the few systems where it's launch titles are still some of it's top games of all times (Ridge Racers & Hot Shots Golf).

14 minutes ago, chakoo said:

As a fan of WR64, WR:BS still continues to be a massive disappointment to me.

I enjoy both games equally. 

WR:BS issue is that it plays almost nothing like the first game.  It tries to make good use of the analog triggers to lean into turns.  But the best way to play it is to lightly tap them, in the same way you would tap the brake in other racers.  You keep control much better.  Also, never boost unless you can quickly regain your charge.  Once I figured those things out, I ended up enjoying it a ton and beat every difficulty level.

It's still a beautiful game, holds up better than most games that generation.  The weather effects too.  Stormy days dramatically change how races play out.

I think this generation by far for consoles, Launch Lineup matters least.  Thanks to both consoles backwards compatibility, you won't be stuck only playing "Launch Games".  I understand those that think, well then why'd I spend $500.  I've explained myself before, but you are spending that $500 to play the new releases at their best fidelity on console, as well as knowing that you are good to go for another 6-7 years of new releases.  Unless your plan is to wait a few years for a price drop or console revision, there is no benefit to to waiting til next year when HZD or Halo drops.  

I also do think Sony's launch lineup is pretty solid regardless.  The Souls games are very popular and Demon Souls looks very well done, and while I haven't played Spiderman, its obvously a very well loved Franchise now, so to have one at launch is obviously a huge win as well.  I can't say Sackboy get's me excited as I literally haven't played any 3d Platformers that I own, but it looks like a decent title.  GodFall could be a pleasant surprise for those that enjoy  looter hack'n slashers.  

Destruction All-Stars gets joked about because we know absolutely nothing about it, as far as I know.  It's a $70 price tag on a game that looks like it could possibly mimic a F2P sales model.  Is it Multiplayer only? Is there some kind of single player campaign story?  How many characters, vehicles, game modes?  It just looks a lot like a lot of the Multiplayer Only F2P games that keep getting released without knowing more about it.  If an article has come out about it and I haven't seen it then I could be wrong, but as far as I've seen, we know next to nothing about the game.

On top of all that, you also have the new releases dropping at or within a week of launch.  While I understand that Cyberpunk is dropping a week later and with only a BC version, but how is one of the top, most anticipated games of the last 5 years coming out a few days after launch, not counted as a launch title.  If Witcher 3 was playable at launch on XB1 and PS4, would that not have been considered a huge win for launch of those consoles?  Also have AC: Valhalla, and the new AC's are considered pretty top tier games overall these days.  CoD:Cold War looks like it'll be a vastly better game than CoD: Ghosts was at launch last gen.

Then to wrap it all up, I have so many friends that own PS4's, that only play Warzone everyday.  They are getting PS5's Day 1 to do what, play Warzone, everyday.  Don't even know what Demon Souls is.  With all these big GAAS like Apex, Warzone, Fortnite, Destiny, Avengers, Borderlands, and whatever else, a lot of people will be more than happy to keep grinding and playing those same games but at a better performance than they ever had on their PS4 or XB1's. 

So to me, the launch of both consoles and deciding to upgrade is easily one of the best and easiest decisions when compared to previous gens.  

• Thanks 1

I think if Destruction All Stars was $20 the narrative would be flipped. It looks kinda like Rocket League so people are assuming that’s what it’ll be like and wtf would you spend $70 on rocket league. 

although I’ve bought Rocket League 3 times so I’ve basically spent almost that much on it 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I think if Destruction All Stars was $20 the narrative would be flipped. It looks kinda like Rocket League so people are assuming that’s what it’ll be like and wtf would you spend $70 on rocket league. 

although I’ve bought Rocket League 3 times so I’ve basically spent almost that much on it 😂

Rocket League was Free through PS+ when it first launched.

Maybe Destruction All Stars will be a PS+ Freebie for Launch too?

I better get my consoles launch day, Target keeps charging and refunding my account over and over for both of them. If I would have known it was going to be like that I wouldn't have used my debit card. I'm just glad I have some money in there so it's not fucking me over every time they charge it. 

Launch plans for me are on PS5 Demons Souls and most likely the new Spiderman. I couldn't get into the other one but I'll give it a try. Then on XSX, I'll get the new AC and then I don't really know. Perhaps Watchdogs if it reviews well. Oh and Gears Tactics. I enjoyed Wasteland 3 so I'll at least give that a go. Will check out Destiny Beyond Light, and then some last gen games optimized or just with lower load times. 

I'm also all over playing Bloodborne again if that has reduced load times and hopefully a frame rate boost. 

I tell myself I'll hold off on Cyberpunk until the patch comes, but I'm a weak person and probably won't be able to hold off. 

@JPDunks4

I don't agree that a next-gen console doesn't need to launch with a next-gen library.  This idea that current-gen+ feels substantial enough came to head with the Pro and X1X.  It was acceptable at the time, because they were supposed to be the stop-gap platforms, before a generational shift that would rock the boat.  So now we're at the generational shift, and by and large boats aren't being rocked, because developers aren't ready.  In that respect, the launches feel 6-12 months premature.

It begs the question: Why not wait to buy one until there's more next-gen exclusives that genuinely illustrate the hardware's potential?  If you think a early half-step forward is worth a full console price once again, the more power to you.  But I don't think that its a strong sell to an average gamer.  Even that gets diminished by patches that haven't or may never materialize.  Again, it's feeling like Pro and X1X deja vu.

There was another generational transition that was slowed by the early perception of a 'nice things' jump before: the 360/PS3.  I'm not saying it will happen again, but it can't be ruled out, especially with COVID.  At the very least, I think we can count on the cross-gen period being especially long.  There's nothing exciting about that.  Next-gen will be held back, current gen will be hit even harder with performance woes. 

I don't expect every launch game to make a case for either console's potential.  That's an impossibility, and unreasonable.  But I applaud any decision that leaves the current-gen behind, and that tries to sell us on a next-gen vision.  Because that's what makes the tech in these consoles truly exciting.  It should be the draw.

19 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

@JPDunks4

I don't agree that a next-gen console doesn't need to launch with a next-gen library.  This idea that current-gen+ feels substantial enough came to head with the Pro and X1X.  It was acceptable at the time, because they were supposed to be the stop-gap platforms, before a generational shift that would rock the boat.  So now we're at the generational shift, and still no boats are being rocked, because developers aren't ready.

I was trying to buy a 3080 or 3090.  Was I ready to spend $800-$2000 for some Next Gen only exclusive titles?  No, I was going to do it to play my existing library better than I could before, as well as being ready for future games and being able to play them better.  What launch day next gen games released with the 3080/3090's?

It begs the question: why not wait to buy until there's more next-gen exclusives that genuinely show the hardware off?  If you think a half-step forward is worth a full console price once again, the more power to you.  But I don't think that its a strong sell to an average gamer.  Even that gets diminished by promised patches that haven't or may never materialized.  Again, it's feeling like Pro and X1X deja vu.

So what are you waiting for? A price drop to $400?  A pack in game bundle?  I genuinely don't get the idea of waiting.  Of course if your plan is to buy both consoles, but financially you need to choose one, then launch lineup and exclusive games should play into that decision.  But if you are a PlayStation gamer, why wait til next year for HZD or GoW to buy one?  Why not improve your daily gaming experience by playing all the games this Holiday and throughout the next year better than you would have on the PS4?  Load times reduced, better graphical fidelity, better framerates.  Of course if finances are tight, and throwing $500 at a new console at such uncertain times doesn't make sense, it wouldn't make sense regardless of launch lineup.  I don't think either the XSX or PS5 are going to drop price until 2022 most likely, considering the PS4 Pro and XOX are still $400. 

I recently dropped hundreds on an SSD for my PC just to improve some load times.  I had a GTX 1080 but upgraded to a 2080ti, and got not one new game I could play on it that I couldn't play on my 1080.   I don't know why consoles are held to some new magical standard when it comes to investing in new hardware.  We need brand spanking new exclusive games in order to justify a $500, 7 year investment at launch.  If the games are Cross-Gen it doesn't make sense cause I can still play on PS4.  Well there's literally not one game PC gamers need a 3080 or 3090 for, but they are selling out in seconds.  There won't be a game that releases on PC that will list a 3080 as minimum card for probably what, 7-10 years at least?  Should people not buy a 3080 for 10 years because what's the point?

19 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I don't agree that a next-gen console doesn't need to launch with a next-gen library.  This idea that current-gen+ feels substantial enough came to head with the Pro and X1X.  It was acceptable at the time, because they were supposed to be the stop-gap platforms, before a generational shift that would rock the boat.  So now we're at the generational shift, and still no boats are being rocked, because developers aren't ready.  In that respect, the launches feel premature.

It begs the question: why not wait to buy until there's more next-gen exclusives that genuinely show the hardware off?  If you think a half-step forward is worth a full console price once again, the more power to you.  But I don't think that its a strong sell to an average gamer.  Even that gets diminished by promised patches that haven't or may never materialized.  Again, it's feeling like Pro and X1X deja vu.

We've had a previous generational transition that was slowed by the perception of a small jump before: the 360/PS3.  I'm not saying it will happen again, but sure, there is a possibility for it.  Especially with COVID.  At the very least, I think we can count on the cross-gen period being especially long this time.  There's nothing exciting about that.  Next-gen will be held back, current gen will be hit even harder with performance woes.

I don't expect every launch game to make a case for either console's potential.  That's an impossibility and unreasonable.  But I applaud any decision that leaves the current-gen behind.

I don't know what makes you think the developers aren't ready for a new gen. There aren't many "fully next gen" games, but it doesn't matter when you launch, that's just the reality of generational transitions. 

For myself, I'll buy a PS5 ASAP not because of some desperate desire to play all the launch games, but because I know I'll get one before the price comes down, so I may as well get it now and enjoy the games as they come out in the best possible fashion, "fully next gen" or not.

43 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I was trying to buy a 3080 or 3090.  Was I ready to spend $800-$2000 for some Next Gen only exclusive titles?  No, I was going to do it to play my existing library better than I could before, as well as being ready for future games and being able to play them better.  What launch day next gen games released with the 3080/3090's?

The whole business model of those upper end cards are people with heaps of disposable income (or little financial inhibition).  It's quite literally the 'nice things' audience.

PC gamers should want developers to hurry up and drop the current gen consoles regardless.

43 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

So what are you waiting for? A price drop to $400?  A pack in game bundle?  I genuinely don't get the idea of waiting.

Killer apps that make me feel like I couldn't want any longer.

It's not simply a matter of being tapped into an ecosystem.  It's a question if whether you can afford, or are willing to buy a new console at launch price.  During a pandemic, of all times.

There will be plenty of people who look at the consoles this year and say it can wait.  If I had a surplus this year, I'd probably end up investing it instead.  That's just me though.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Killer apps that make me feel like I couldn't want any longer.

It's not simply a matter of being tapped into one ecosystem.  It's a question if whether you can afford, or are willing to buy a new console at launch.  During a pandemic, of all times.

If I had a surplus this year, I'd probably end up investing it instead.  That's just me though.

If someone's financial situation is of concern, obviously they shouldn't be buying a new console, especially in the middle of a pandemic.  That is true regardless of a launch lineup being good for bad.

Just now, JPDunks4 said:

If someone's financial situation is of concern, obviously they shouldn't be buying a new console, especially in the middle of a pandemic.  That is true regardless of a launch lineup being good for bad.

I think its already true for most Americans, even outside of a pandemic.  Huge wake up call for everyone to get their financial house in order and spend less.  Anyways, it's veering a little off topic.