PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Chip shortage and pent up demand are the culprits.  It doesn't matter how stacked the lineup is with system sellers or not.

People don't buy consoles for the game library anymore.  And I say that as cynically as possible about the state of the industry.

And we're still dealing with bots/scalpers.

17 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Chip shortage and pent up demand are the culprits.  It doesn't matter how stacked the lineup is with system sellers or not.

People don't buy consoles for the game library anymore.  And I say that as cynically as possible about the state of the industry.

Brand loyalty has always been first over games, but games are still incredibly important.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Brand loyalty has always been first over games, but games are still incredibly important.

Almost no one is buying these next gen consoles for games they couldn’t have played already, unless they’re switching sides.

Or unless someone really wanted Returnal, Ratchet and Demon Souls.

The amount of games announced as next-gen only is extremely low.  On the positive, with the chip shortage that means people aren’t missing out on a ton.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Almost no one is buying these next gen consoles for games they couldn’t have played already, unless they’re switching sides.

Or unless someone really wanted Returnal, Ratchet and Demon Souls.

The amount of games announced as next-gen only is extremely low.  On the positive, with the chip shortage that means people aren’t missing out on a ton.

Disagree. I game on my PS5 far more than I would my ps4. Unless is was a PS exclusive, I would game on PC because of framerates and load times. The ideas that there aren't next gen games is moot when last gen games play so well. 

Convenience is worth more than next gen only games.

59 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Disagree. I game on my PS5 far more than I would my ps4. Unless is was a PS exclusive, I would game on PC because of framerates and load times. The ideas that there aren't next gen games is moot when last gen games play so well. 

Convenience is worth more than next gen only games.

I'm with you to some degree.  I didn't want to play PS4 games that got 60fps patched.  My use for my PS4 Pro was limited, in my mind.

But I'm technically not buying a PS5 to play them.  Because I always could play them at acceptable framerate/resolution for their time of release.  I started a few of them there.  Even then, I'm only spending an extra $100 for better performance after trade-in credit and gift cards.  That's the right price for me with the next-gen library not being much of a selling point so far.

If Sony had a BoTW-impact game already and wasn't doing cross-gen stuff, I'd be willing to spend hundreds of dollars more.

Also, Switch Pro not being a thing was a factor in my decision.  I would have gone that route instead this year.  Because some of those games genuinely run bad to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: "State of Play" announced for October 27 @ 1700 Eastern/1400 Pacific
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Holy shit. Congrats, man.

I was shocked when the order pick up went thru. 2 hours later got the confirmation email. Was like 

japan it's happening GIF

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Enjoy your director's cuts!

I know I’m super excited. Lol.   Nah I ain’t downloading shit except Gran Turismo 7 and Elder Ring. 

I feel obliged to share that I also managed to get one! The Best Buy of one of my friends who lives in a different state had them in stock, so he bought and shipped me one!

Currently working through Miles Morales. My replay of FF7R is planned for after that, and probably a replay of Ghosts of Tsuhima with the new DLC. Will probably pick up other exclusives like Returnal at some point.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, legend said:

I feel obliged to share that I also managed to get one! The Best Buy of one of my friends who lives in a different state had them in stock, so he bought and shipped me one!

Currently working through Miles Morales. My replay of FF7R is planned for after that, and probably a replay of Ghosts of Tsuhima with the new DLC. Will probably pick up other exclusives like Returnal at some point.

Miles-Demon's-Sackboy-Returnal-Ratchet-GoT-Astro-FF7R will last you a while. Add Great Ace Attorney to the list because hell yeah.

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

I was shocked when the order pick up went thru. 2 hours later got the confirmation email. Was like 

japan it's happening GIF

I know I’m super excited. Lol.   Nah I ain’t downloading shit except Gran Turismo 7 and Elder Ring. 

Horizon Forbidden West? That will be a show piece!