PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

Prices will come down as the PC market for those parts mature. Vita memory cards will never come down in price. :frustrated:

Also the BS on the complexity for a feature that is only being rolled out in beta and we're just barely learning the details over. Shit the internet has detailed instructions on converting an FPGA development PCB into a fully functioning console. 

-edit-

Like seriously, I watched a youtube video a few weeks ago on how to tear apart my PS3 (fat) and replace the thermal past and it wasn't that difficult to do. Are people really excited to shout from the rooftops how incompetent they are at simple things or just waiting till people figure out a simple buyers guide so that you'll have what you need off amazon in two simple clicks?

11 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Lolololol

That Twitter thread should be used as an example on why people shouldn’t be able to breed. I know the average person is dumb but good Christ not this dumb.

How come it’s not USB?

USB isn’t fast enough 

But my PC has a USB hard drive 

USB isn’t fast enough

But my PS4 uses USB hard drive 

USB isn’t fast enough

• Haha 1

Kind of surprising that, for the moment it's cheaper to add 1TB to the Series X than the PS5. Given how high storage prices are, that might actually remain the case for a while.

Personally, since my primary platform is PC, I don't need to keep too many games on my PS5, so I probably won't expand it anytime soon, if ever.

7 hours ago, SimpleG said:

That Twitter thread should be used as an example on why people shouldn’t be able to breed. I know the average person is dumb but good Christ not this dumb.

How come it’s not USB?

USB isn’t fast enough 

But my PC has a USB hard drive 

USB isn’t fast enough

But my PS4 uses USB hard drive 

USB isn’t fast enough

Obviously not the same thing, but theoretically USB 4 is fast enough. The bandwidth is high enough, and it's basically just porting over PCIe lanes, but I'm not sure if it works with PCIe 4.0, as I'm pretty sure that existing Thunderbolt 3 only supports PCIe 3.2.

390d105b07269e20d22cd1786d4a4064.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Sony PlayStation 5 development units were yanked almost as soon as they appeared

Earlier today, a pair of PlayStation 5 development kits reportedly popped up on eBay before being taken off the auction site within a few hours.

The items—a DFI-D1000AA dev kit and a DFI-T1000AA test kit—were originally spotted by Twitter users Zuby Tech and iDCx1337, both of whom were able to pull images from the listing prior to its disappearance. A screenshot of the eBay page indicates that the two consoles managed to reach €2,850 EUR (around $3,373 USD) after 12 bids.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, upate: PS5 dev kits briefly appeared on eBay earlier today
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 10:41 AM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

PS5’s first revision removes a big chunk of the heat sink. I assume it won’t have any impact on games and noise, but we will have to wait for some tests to be done. 

Eurogamer just did a nice write-up refuting Evans crazy claims.  They're in the early stages of testing the new model themselves.  Thus far, without testing thermals yet, power and fan wise, it's behaving exactly the same as the launch model.

38 minutes ago, Hurricane Game said:

Feasting for now, but demon souls is on my radar. You have any suggestions?

Depends what you like. It helps that Astro Bot comes with the system. Demon’s Souls is a must buy IMO, so good on ya.

Sackboy and Ratchet & Clank excel as platformers. Sackboy is also a great couch co-op and online game.

Returnal excels as a bullet hell shooter and, a bit biased toward the developer, makes me so happy that Housemarque found success.

Miles Morales is a lot of fun and streamlined the Spider-Man experience, and I didn’t think the 2018 game was even bloated, so it’s an easy recommend for me based on fun factor and respecting your time.

To go lesser known, I’ve heard really good things about Chicory, which looks like an indie Concrete Genie and a feel good game overall. I’ve not played it yet, but the concept was intriguing enough that it’s tempted me a few times.

Those are good starting points. There’s plenty of other games, especially third party, but at that point, it’ll stop being helpful. :p 

• 2 weeks later...

So I saw Gamestop might be doing a $50 trade in bonus for consoles for Pro members.  (it's more like $35 extra if you have to sign up)

I'm seriously considering bringing my PS4 Pro in.  I have $125 in gift cards, plus the ~$300 trade in. That'd be enough for a digital PS5, but I'd probably spring for a disc edition since I have bunch of games physical, no 4K player, and want the Last Guardian at 60fps. :p

So many PS4 games I never finished (or hardly played) will be 60fps now, I think that's worth it.

I just hope this chip shortage stuff gets resolved soon.  Because I refuse to buy a bundle.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

So I saw Gamestop might be doing a $50 trade in bonus for consoles for Pro members.  (it's more like $35 extra if you have to sign up)

I'm seriously considering bringing my PS4 Pro in.  I have $125 in gift cards, plus the ~$300 trade in. That'd be enough for a digital PS5, but I'd probably spring for a disc edition since I have bunch of games physical, no 4K player, and want the Last Guardian at 60fps. :p

So many PS4 games I never finished (or hardly played) will be 60fps now, I think that's worth it.

I just hope this chip shortage stuff gets resolved soon.  Because I refuse to buy a bundle.

Is November, 18 2025 soon enough?

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Bit the bullet. Sold my PS4 Pro for $310.  Kind of nuts considering I paid $350 for it years ago.

I’m officially PlayStation-less.  Fingers crossed I can find a PS5 disc edition at GameStop in the next 6 months or so. 

I'm tempted to do the same. Good luck!

33 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Chip shortage could go on for a while @crispy4000  I mean it’s almost been a year since launch. And GameStop won’t be selling just the console for a very long time. Not since they can make so much extra on those shitty bundles. 

I'm patient, so I don't mind.  I doubt there will be a trade-in deal as good as this again, so to me, it's worth giving it up now.

I have plenty of PC games to play in the meanwhile too.  90% of my games are there, and I was running out of things I'd be willing to play on the Pro regardless.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

With Kena, Little Devil Inside, Horizon:FW, Stray, GoW:R and lots of remasters and collections rolling out over the next six months, the wait for a restock could be worse, at least

GoW isn't coming within 6 months. IF we get it next year, it won't be before Holiday Season.  Kena is good, but its no system seller. Only Horizon is likely to really add to the stress of their supply line. 

It's definitely a strange situation, I figured they would be readily available by now.