PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

...wait, that was a thing with HDR on the PS5? It was just auto- enabled all the time even for non HDR content? That must have been awful. 

and The Verge, way to make a feature to store PS5 games on an external HDD seem like a big deal, and not the bare fucking basic thing Sony should have had DAY FUCKING ONE. 

it’s like even when Sony is awful and won’t even do the bare minimum these publications still flock to suck Sony off over it. Have some standards. 

No shit. It’s like them going into the PS3. They’re number 1 and lost that consumer forward focus. They’re trying to one up with a competitor/ counter to Gamepass? That’s fucking easy. They just don’t want people paying $14 a month to be able to play their exclusives in day one. And that’s why they will NEVER come up with a counter to Gamepass. 

Sony could do plenty for their customers and fans to be more consumer friendly. They’re just not going to. Or they’ll take so long that it should barely worth praising them. 

6 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

No shit. It’s like them going into the PS3. They’re number 1 and lost that consumer forward focus. They’re trying to one up with a competitor/ counter to Gamepass? That’s fucking easy. They just don’t want people paying $14 a month to be able to play their exclusives in day one. And that’s why they will NEVER come up with a counter to Gamepass. 

Sony could do plenty for their customers and fans to be more consumer friendly. They’re just not going to. Or they’ll take so long that it should barely worth praising them. 

What was more consumer-friendly at the beginning of the PS4 generation?

PS5 actually has BC again, with just about every PS4 game. PSVR works on PS5; PSVR2 will be BC with PSVR1. It's even easier to develop games for it than the PS4 (more dev-friendly), and its controller is actually cutting-edge tech. PS Now's price was cut in half. Share-play is cross-gen, and they moved from multiplayer with PS3/4/Vita/PC to multi with other consoles. A game was actually bundled with the console, and while its exclusives didn't release on PS Now or PS+, maybe it should be noted that they released exclusives and have a significantly strong year 1 line-up compared to the PS4?

I'd also quibble that streaming services are inherently consumer-friendly. I think it's cool that a PS+ Collection was given for purchase of a PS5, and the improved PS+ has been exciting (I still remember the monthly complaints of "Why are we getting only one game a month and it's some cheap indie what happened to my big games?" at the start of the PS4), but a purchase of a game or movie means I have it regardless as to what moves in and out of streaming services, and I hope we're not moving away from the ability to own forms of media long-term (or that it gets in the way or preservation). I'm not too worried as music and movies have a good combination right now between ownership, digital and physical, and streaming, but tech moves so fast.

16 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

What was more consumer-friendly at the beginning of the PS4 generation?

PS5 actually has BC again, with just about every PS4 game. PSVR works on PS5; PSVR2 will be BC with PSVR1.

But anything older than PS4 is archaic. Why would anyone play those games? Let's just take them down and remove the servers that patch those games.

34 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But anything older than PS4 is archaic. Why would anyone play those games? Let's just take them down and remove the servers that patch those games.

Most PS2 servers shut down before the PS4 even came out.

So again, based on what I brought up in my post, I'm asking what was more consumer-friendly at the time. 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Most PS2 servers shut down before the PS4 even came out.

So again, based on what I brought up in my post, I'm asking what was more consumer-friendly at the time. 

Most PS2 games don't have an online component and most of them don't require patches. I was mainly referencing PS3 in that post.

Wow. So I was in Target today with my son and he said he wanted Call of Duty: Cold War for PS5. So I’m like, whatever that’s cool. So we go to purchase it and...

...holy crap did I not know this before, or did I somehow forget that PS5 games cost a whopping SEVENTY GOD DAMN DOLLARS?!? How the hell are they getting away with this? This is some early-to-mid-nineties SNES games pricing garbage. 

Is this widely known? Am I just an idiot? (I mean, yes...but still. Jesus that took me by surprise) 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Yeah and I’m glad PS+ gets me (well, my son) “free” games, too. 

But whatever. He’s enjoying the game (didn’t take too long to install, which was nice) so I guess the extra $10 should end up being worth it. *shrug*

Bruh, it’s on sale on PSN for $48.99

What Shocked GIF

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You have to install the game if you have a disc, it doesn't play off the disc so you'll need that HDD space anyway, plus room for huge patches.

Well, it’s at capacity now. Hopefully there aren’t more patches because I’m not interested in getting an external HDD for this thing.

13 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

I don’t need any more kids! :p 

Myeh, I’ll just Google it! 

EDIT: What the heck!? A free-to-play Call of Duty game!? And I just dropped $70 on one?! 

FFFFFFUUUUUUUU.....!

You're son might be playing the traditional multiplayer, but just about everyone is only playing Warzone it seems.  My nephews only ever play Warzone, the only reason they care about owning Cold War, was so they could unlock guns for Warzone faster.

• Like 1