PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

I've been playing the Last of Us for maybe 4 of 5 hours and I'm a little unsure of what people like about the game so much at this point. I find the gameplay itself to be rather clunky and since it is also very repetitive I'm often frustrated by fairly simple scenarios. I'll finish the game but can't imagine revisiting this one even if the story becomes something compelling.

1 hour ago, tbca said:

I've been playing the Last of Us for maybe 4 of 5 hours and I'm a little unsure of what people like about the game so much at this point. I find the gameplay itself to be rather clunky and since it is also very repetitive I'm often frustrated by fairly simple scenarios. I'll finish the game but can't imagine revisiting this one even if the story becomes something compelling.

I found the gameplay decent, although at least in the first one - the way the clickers didn’t react to Ellie was very immersion breaking. But it was forgivable IMO bc the story was very compelling and the environments were top notch. I never put it on a pedestal as others around here have, but it’s a sold 8.5 game to me. 

1 hour ago, tbca said:

The gameplay in the second game is MUCH better. Like @atom631 said, ellie not alerting clickers was VERY immersion breaking for a game that does so much to be realistic. They fix that aspect in the second game for the most part. What sets the game apart is the story and atmosphere though.

8 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

We are gonna need a "Show me your setup" thread now that everyone had to fit this monstrosity into the setup somehow.

I moved so you're just gonna see a TV plopped on the ground next to a PS5. It will be a bad photo.

Though damn, the thing is fucking huge. I'm with @sblfilms in that it looks a lot better sitting next to the TV, but I never had a problem with its look to begin with. There are very few times I thought a console looked bad. :p 

15 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@legendwe’ve been accusing you all this time, but it was actually @cusideabelincoln!!!!

After John Wilkes Boothe shot me, Antifa encoded my consciousness on the microscopic pits of the penny.  When you place one at the east\west joining of the continental railroad and let a train flatten it, then place that on the top step of my memorial at noon of the yearly fall solstice the sunlight will shine on the monument's head and animate it with my entire knowledge database for 4 minute time span.  Over the next one hundred years diligent people recorded and transcribed my being into binary, and now that technology has become sufficiently fast that binary is what you are now interacting with.

• Confused 1

For those looking for more stuff to play. The Black Friday Sales on PSN are pretty solid. I just picked up Judgment & Yakuza Kiwami for cheap (I have both physically but want digital versions so I can put away the PS4, judgment was holding me back while I finished up the game).

If Sony would not be so stubborn and release a Dualsense with the left stick and d-pad reversed, this would be my favourite controller ever, I think. In general, I've found Sony controllers to be “good” at best, but I really, really like this one a lot. Its heavier, feels stronger, the haptics and triggers are awesome, and I really, really like the feel of the controller. Ergonomically it sits in my hands perfectly. 

But damn, Sony! Give me switched thumbsticks! They would probably sell millions over the generation. I’d buy two right away. 

• Guillotine 1

@Spork3245 Have.you read about anybody mentioning a loud buzzing/alarm sound coming from the PS5? I don't believe it was the disc drive sound it kinda sounded like a PSU warning sound? I had switched to a different HDMI input to check some stuff on my PS4 when the sound happened. It scared me so much i switched over to the PS5 and turned it off right away. 

1 minute ago, Remarkableriots said:

@Spork3245 Have.you read about anybody mentioning a loud buzzing/alarm sound coming from the PS5? I don't believe it was the disc drive sound it kinda sounded like a PSU warning sound? I had switched to a different HDMI input to check some stuff on my PS4 when the sound happened. It scared me so much i switched over to the PS5 and turned it off right away. 

On resetera, there is a thread about coil whine with regards to the psu. 

26 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I have not, but maybe just coil whine like @ManUtdRedDevilssaid?

So I only had a little time to mess around with the PS5 since it was delivered yesterday. Not much else I can say that hasn't been echoed many times.  I do love it, but the ui feels unfinished to me. Is there no way to customize a theme or anything? Maybe after a few updates things will be better.

My only other complaint is the disc drive. I need to hear some impressions from you all that have it. The PS5 is whisper quiet but I put a 4k movie in and it's loud as fuck. It doesn't sound like the drive is faulty. When you first hear it you almost think "man that's a strong disc drive". It kind of sounds like a solid vibration inside the PS5, beading directly into the shelf of the tv stand. I lifted the console up off the shelf carefully and it continued to do it, so I know it's not the shelf. It does stop once the movie is playing, but while it's loading up going through the menus it's very noticeable. Do your drives sound similar? 

Edit: console is laying horizontal. 

49 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

This was way worse like i first thought it was an alarm going off in my apartment building. This was like shit your pants my PS5 is going into meltdown/system failure very very loud pitch sound.

If it went away, that’s great. Maybe something was obstructing the fan and it’s now fine. People on resetera show that the whine is way worse playing a game when the device draws more power from the psu. 

7 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

Wow. That’s unfortunate. Luckily that guy felt comfortable fixing it. I would not have. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

This was way worse like i first thought it was an alarm going off in my apartment building. This was like shit your pants my PS5 is going into meltdown/system failure very very loud pitch sound.

WWW.RESETERA.COM

Disclaimer: I speak for my own anecdotal experience with my PS5 and my brothers, as well as what I’ve seen posted online. This is in no way indicative of a mass problem with...

here is the thread if you want to check it out 

20 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:
WWW.RESETERA.COM

Disclaimer: I speak for my own anecdotal experience with my PS5 and my brothers, as well as what I’ve seen posted online. This is in no way indicative of a mass problem with...

here is the thread if you want to check it out 

I already looked that up and it wasn't that. The sound i heard was much louder high pitched sound.