PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

Silly question but can you not bring up a menu to power off/turn on rest mode from the controller anymore? I hold the PS button like you used to be able to do and it doesn't happen. I have to hunt around for some power button in the UI. I haven't seen a setting for this yet either. 

5 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Silly question but can you not bring up a menu to power off/turn on rest mode from the controller anymore? I hold the PS button like you used to be able to do and it doesn't happen. I have to hunt around for some power button in the UI. I haven't seen a setting for this yet either. 

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

So, with PS3 and PS4, and even the 360 and Xbone, holding the PS button (the Xbox button for MS consoles :p ) for several seconds would basically be a shortcut to get to the power options (off/rest mode) - with the PS5, holding down the PS button doesn’t seem to do anything. Tapping it brings up that menu on the bottom of the screen which allows you to go all the way to the last menu which is power - no shortcut anymore? Seems like a weird omission :confused: 

9 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Holding down PS button brings you back to the Home Screen. I agree it’s a weird change. 

9 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Oh, so in a game/app it’s a shortcut to go back to the home screen? That’s weird considering it’s the default icon when you tap it (ie: tap the PS button, tap X: boom, you’re at the home screen)

10 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I do really hate the way they changed where the power button is hidden in the menu. I hope they change this in the future. Just let me hold the ps button anywhere to bring it up.

IMO, the best option would be to let people customize it to do whatever they set it for... of course, I’d use it for power options :p 

I could put my PS4 back into rest mode easier before, since I could do it even if I was on a different video input. Even if you pay attention to where the power options are on the PS5, it doesn't work because it saves your cursor's last position, meaning you can't reliably put it into rest mode/power it off with just the controller anymore. I find that way more annoying than I should. I find it doubly annoying since the Samsung Note I got has a somewhat similar issue, where before you'd just hold down the power button for several seconds to bring up the ability to restart/shutdown, and now you have to hold power+volume down for some dumb reason. Copying Apple or something, I assume?

52 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I do really hate the way they changed where the power button is hidden in the menu. I hope they change this in the future. Just let me hold the ps button anywhere to bring it up.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the steps required to access some pretty regularly used features.  Wish they had kept it a bit more like the PS4 in those regards.  

On 11/16/2020 at 1:18 AM, Spork3245 said:

Yes, I’m not saying SM was being played off an external, merely that an external hdd being plugged in is the catalyst: this error, and the error I previously posted about, both state that it needs to “repair your external drive” prior to the system bricking. How could it need to “repair your external drive” if you don’t have one plugged in? Seems like this has to do with external drives being plugged in causing some type of glitch (regardless as to whether or not the game being played is located on said external drive).

It seemed to be working fine until last night when Spider-Man: Miles Morales crashed and turned my system off i got that "repair your external drive". Not using the external drive after that happened and disconnected it. 

21 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

It seemed to be working fine until last night when Spider-Man: Miles Morales crashed and turned my system off i got that "repair your external drive". Not using the external drive after that happened and disconnected it. 

Jeezes! Yea, probably best to simply not have an external plugged in until Sony fixes whatever is happening :/ 

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

thanks for the heads up. i saw that as well. highly unlikely as i wasnt even close to getting on last time, but im gonna try. 

Best Buy keep showing Open Box availability as well.  Depending on the area you are in, might get lucky and get a display unit?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Best Buy keep showing Open Box availability as well.  Depending on the area you are in, might get lucky and get a display unit?

i saw that and it allows me to add to cart, i get all the way to checkout and it says not in stock. go back and try again, same thing. 

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

i saw that and it allows me to add to cart, i get all the way to checkout and it says not in stock. go back and try again, same thing. 

I think its in store pickup only, so you need to search if there is one within your range.  Not sure how it all works, just saw it as available.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:
PS5_vs_Series_X.jpg
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Sony's consoles sold 118,085 units in four days, while Microsoft's machines sold 20,534 in six days

well not that shocked futurama GIF

Regardless of what BS PR microsoft was selling people on japan, the system wasn't all of a sudden going to be a huge hit there.

27 minutes ago, chakoo said:

well not that shocked futurama GIF

Regardless of what BS PR microsoft was selling people on japan, the system wasn't all of a sudden going to be a huge hit there.

I'm more shocked Sony only sold about 100k. But I think they mentioned on the Bombcast that Japan isn't a focus for Sony anymore. It's a reason why they switched X to being accept on the controller. Switch has a foothold of the market over there.

1 hour ago, The def star said:

I'm more shocked Sony only sold about 100k. But I think they mentioned on the Bombcast that Japan isn't a focus for Sony anymore. It's a reason why they switched X to being accept on the controller. Switch has a foothold of the market over there.

Sony sold through all that was shipped to japan. It's also in line with what they did for PS4. Japan will continue to get weekly restock due to it being closer to where they're manufactured.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

Microsofts play in Japan and other Asian markets is xCloud

While xCloud will have a better chance of working in Asia due to their high speed networks, there still needs to be demand for the service for it take off. It's also a pretty busy market for these services in japan as is (most major (game) publishers have offered some form of cloud game streaming in japan).

4 minutes ago, atom631 said:

got all the way through, past credit card info to place order.. hit the button and crash. back to cart.  unfuckingbelievable. 

Same. All I had left was one click and when I pressed the button it kicked me back to my cart. Walmart's system is trash.

3 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Same GIF by Debby Ryan

For me and my friends that were trying to get one for Christmas. One of my friend's son wants a gaming PC and a PS5. One of those is significantly easier then the other. Especially since I just upgraded.

Edit: full disclosure I broke and got my 6800XT and 5800x from scalpers. 5800x is installed I get my 6800Xt tomorrow. It sucks and rather not have but jesus I have had my monitor since August and would like something better then a 5700XT.

I wouldn't get a PS5 like this though. Gonna try to help my friends out.