PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

WOW! So, make sure you go into your audio settings: the PS5 lets you configure your surround speaker’s positions (a feature that TLOU2 has, which I praised the crap out of), allowing the sound to be positionally accurate.

I cannot for the life of me remember, though: which audio format should I be using? Linear PCM, Bitstream Dolby, or Bitstream DTS?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I figured out why my download speeds were so terrible. It was still using Wi-Fi when i thought it was directly connected. The Ethernet cable i was using was broke so i connected a different cable. My download speeds went from 1.2 Mbps to 57.9 Mbps.

You're getting that with an Ethernet cable? I'm getting that on WIFI in the Basement lol... the router is on the second floor.

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

WOW! So, make sure you go into your audio settings: the PS5 lets you configure your surround speaker’s positions (a feature that TLOU2 has, which I praised the crap out of), allowing the sound to be positionally accurate.

I cannot for the life of me remember, though: which audio format should I be using? Linear PCM, Bitstream Dolby, or Bitstream DTS?

I believe Linear PCM is uncompressed and the others are compressed.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

You're getting that with an Ethernet cable? I'm getting that on WIFI in the Basement lol... the router is on the second floor.

Which makes me wonder if I'm paying for better internet $74.99 a month with Spectrum but the equipment might be holding it back? My billing statement doesn't list what i should be getting.

4 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Which makes me wonder if I'm paying for better internet $74.99 a month with Spectrum but the equipment might be holding it back? My billing statement doesn't list what i should be getting.

Yes it's probably your router. You should check and see if they have better one available or buy one yourself. I have SPectrum in LA and the last time I talked to them they told me I had an old router and could get a better one. Here at my parent's place they have Fios which is AMAZING.

I haven't clocked it but my DL speeds when I started using my PS5 were really fast over wifi even with it going through a few walls. It started to seem like it was taking a little longer later but I also had a ton of PS4 games queued up to download and I was running a game. Even with that said my downloads all still finished much faster than they ever did on my PS4 (I've got a 1Gbps fiber line).

10 minutes ago, tbca said:

I haven't played any of them and have them all installed and ready to go, so in which order should I play these games?

1. The Last of Us Remastered

2. Ghost of Tsushima

3. God of War

Ghost of Tsushima first since at higher resolution and 60fps it basically is a next gen launch game and looks better than most other things out on the next gen systems still. So get on that while you can still appreciate how good it looks.

Last Of Us Remastered second and then you can take a break while you wait for Last of Us 2 to be patched.

God of War last because hopefully by the time you beat those two they’ll unlock the fps in quality mode so you can play it 60fps without having to go 1080p.

1 hour ago, Remarkableriots said:

If you're renting a router from them, it most certainly is.  My folks have Charter and they get far better speeds than that.  They rent a modem because they use their VoIP service, but they use their own router.  I highly suggest buying your own router and modem if you can.  If you need a modem suggestion, I cannot praise Zoom modems enough.  They're the most reliable cable modems I've ever owned. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yes it's probably your router. You should check and see if they have better one available or buy one yourself. I have SPectrum in LA and the last time I talked to them they told me I had an old router and could get a better one. Here at my parent's place they have Fios which is AMAZING.

I love fios but I hate the bullshit router they force you to use. 

52 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I love fios but I hate the bullshit router they force you to use. 

The "Hopper" :lol: I don't deal with it directly... I just know their TV and Internet service is far better tha what I get in LA. It might have something to do with being in Jersey though... I recently found out that Jersey has some of best internet infrastructure in the country. Who knew?

Sackboy is so damn fun, such a nice title to have at launch. Unless it takes a massive dive the scores seem a little rough for what’s one of the few good non Nintendo 3D platformers now.

Really cool having a new 3D platformer that looks like THIS (and yes Astro too).

Ya, after playing it all weekend (about however many hours 3 gamepads charged is), I really like this thing more than I expected, and the Sony stuff along with the dualsense is enough to get me hype.

Since I’m allowing myself to include higher res/60 fps Days Gone and Ghosts of how you spell that word as next gen updates, i’m counting my launch line up as those along with Astro, Sackboy, Miles, and Bugsnax. Really like all of them so far, I mean the worst is Days Gone, and that still seems pretty good.

And yeah everything is clean and a lot faster and the dualsense actually delivers on the hype unlike hd rumble. Good launch.

Edit: Cons so far:

I don’t like the new ps button, I wish it was a regular button shape. It being right next to the mic or whatever button makes me unsure i’m hitting the right button.

Gamepad battery life seems better I guess? But idk it still seems not so great.

I downloaded like 10 games and I have 67gb left available.

I wish the ps5 glow light was like purple or something just to look even dumber.

7 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'd go to the website and see what it is supposed to be

https://www.spectrum.com/internet

For me it says up to 200 mpbs, generally I only get 130 mbps

As someone said check what hardware you're using. If you're using a crappy router or modem that could hold your speeds back. Your modem should be at least DOCSIS 3.1

I remember that one time the cable company gave my dad a modem one time and it was so shitty it was getting 56k speeds. :|

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

If I have a ps4 gold headset is there a reason for me to upgrade to the pulse 3D?

Tempest Audio works with any pair of headphones so the only reason you'd be buying something else is if you don't like the way your headphones sound.  

Got mine in the mail yesterday, but waited until today to set it up as I had to rearrange some things.  They weren't kidding about the controller, it's everything everything I was expecting from the Joy-Con in regards to nuanced vibrations to create a sense of touch.  As everybody has said though, those triggers are very much the star of the show.  Such a fascinating technology I hope gets utilized by more than just 1st party companies.  I also must say, the DualSense is a meaty boy.  I was shocked not just by the added weight, but how large the grips are compared to the DS4.  I have pretty small hands so it took a moment to get used it.  

As for the console itself, it's very quiet.  I do agree with Giant Bomb on the menus as some options have a lot more steps than they really should have.  The new trophy page was especially disappointing.  I hope they return it to the list view and make rarity percentages viewable at all times.  I haven't really messed with the menu much after that, but I'm happy to see how snappy it is overall and that the PSN store finally isn't a burden to access. 

One other note, Tempest Audio works great.   One thing I always hated last generation in games was that areas had "zones" of sounds.  Once you stepped out of those zones, sounds snapped to the next region resulting in sounds that never travelled smoothly with you as you panned the camera.  It was a whole different world plugging my headphones in this time as you could both identify where something was in your surroundings as well as how far away it was.  I was also happy to see as I moved around and panned the camera, sounds moved around fluidly with my controller movements.  I could certainly see myself using headphones more with this console now that that it works so well with my high-end pair of headphones.  I am tempted to hook my Fiio BTR5 up to it to see if it'll improve the audio quality at all from the controller or if it works directly plugged into the PS5.  

So, with PS3 and PS4, and even the 360 and Xbone, holding the PS button (the Xbox button for MS consoles :p ) for several seconds would basically be a shortcut to get to the power options (off/rest mode) - with the PS5, holding down the PS button doesn’t seem to do anything. Tapping it brings up that menu on the bottom of the screen which allows you to go all the way to the last menu which is power - no shortcut anymore? Seems like a weird omission :confused: 

Just now, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Holding down PS button brings you back to the Home Screen. I agree it’s a weird change. 

Oh, so in a game/app it’s a shortcut to go back to the home screen? That’s weird considering it’s the default icon when you tap it (ie: tap the PS button, tap X: boom, you’re at the home screen)

On 11/15/2020 at 2:48 AM, Xbob42 said:

Beat Astro's Playroom, or at least saw credits. Not sure if I'll go back and get all the artifacts and puzzle pieces. Was a fun little semi-tech demo, but wasn't exactly mind-blowing like some people were talking about. I guess it's because for me none of these features on the controller are exactly new. The adaptive triggers just reminded me of a slightly more advanced version of old racing wheels that could provide resistance and even move themselves, the "super omega HD rumble" feels exactly like the haptics that the Steam Controller has been using for 5 years now, and otherwise it's just kind of a nice, normal controller.

Not that any of those are bad things, mind you, putting them all into one modern controller (as opposed to the Steam controller that no one uses) makes for some very cool possibilities (almost undoubtedly for first-party exclusives only unless MS adopts them for a mid-gen controller refresh) but each individual feature wasn't very new to me.

The most memorable part for me wasn't any of the controller stuff, it was the dumb GPU-themed song which I found very amusing, if for no other reason than someone wrote a song about the concept of a GPU.

Demon's Souls has been pretty fun. The fast loads feel really impressive, but when I sat down and thought about it, it didn't make any sense. From my memory, it didn't load any faster than I remember Souls games on PC loading. But it felt... different. So I loaded up Dark Souls 2 on PC (I didn't have 3 installed and didn't feel like installing it just to test this, but I remember its load times being very similar if not identical) and lo and behold, loading into the game, teleporting between bonfires was just as quick, quicker even as you don't have to wait for an animation to play out.

Then it hit me, it was the animation that made it feel different. Because these consoles will have real SSDs, games will have to take that account when dealing with loading. On PC we've had super fast loading for what feels like an eternity, but it's always jarring because the games aren't designed around it. So you get a cut to black, or a split second of a loading screen filled with text meant to entertain some poor sap who has to start at it for 45+ seconds if they've got nothing else going on. The animation of you turning into ectoplasm or whatever and the fog rolling in and then the animation completing on the other side makes it feel like a smooth transition, rather than a hard cut. I can't wait for those kinds of animations to come to multiplatform games because it will be a nice change of pace from me desperately trying to read the first sentence of 4 paragraphs in a loading screen, or critical hints/tips being only shown in said screen.

I'm installing Spider-Man now, I can finally get around to it now that it's 60 FPS. It just felt bad to me in 30. I've also got Sackboy ready to go, but I'm not sure if I care to try it any time soon. Mostly got it because there wasn't much else to get. I also plan to check out Ghosts of Tsushima sometime after I'm done with AC: Valhalla. Don't want to overload on open world games, but I'm also interested in it now that it's also at 60. Might wait for a sale, though. Still pretty expensive. And I still have Cold Steel 4 to play through. Juggling way too many games right now.

All in all while my mind hasn't been blown, it's been WAY better than the PS4 at whatever point I got it (shortly after Bloodborne launch) at least in terms of the console itself and new features. It doesn't feel like an underpowered laptop like the old consoles did at launch and it's bringing some genuinely new and neat stuff to the table. I hope this generation proves fruitful.

As someone who hasn't been able to play his PS5 yet (been moving, but I'm planning on FINALLY hooking it up tomorrow) and has pretty much the same games you do (Spidey, Demon's, Sackboy, and Astro by default), this was a very informative summary. Thank you.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

So, with PS3 and PS4, and even the 360 and Xbone, holding the PS button (the Xbox button for MS consoles :p ) for several seconds would basically be a shortcut to get to the power options (off/rest mode) - with the PS5, holding down the PS button doesn’t seem to do anything. Tapping it brings up that menu on the bottom of the screen which allows you to go all the way to the last menu which is power - no shortcut anymore? Seems like a weird omission :confused: 

Yeah, the UI definitely needs work. There are too many button clicks for a lot of stuff. Getting to the trophy list took me at least 5 minutes because I didn’t know where it was.

but, I know it will take time. PS4’s ui needed s lot of work at the beginning too. 

Still, im very impressed by the console so far.

10 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, the UI definitely needs work. There are too many button clicks for a lot of stuff. Getting to the trophy list took me at least 5 minutes because I didn’t know where it was.

but, I know it will take time. PS4’s ui needed s lot of work at the beginning too. 

Still, im very impressed by the console so far.

Every single console that’s had a main OS UI has been, at best, an afterthought. They’re all generally very bad.