PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

Beat Astro's Playroom, or at least saw credits. Not sure if I'll go back and get all the artifacts and puzzle pieces. Was a fun little semi-tech demo, but wasn't exactly mind-blowing like some people were talking about. I guess it's because for me none of these features on the controller are exactly new. The adaptive triggers just reminded me of a slightly more advanced version of old racing wheels that could provide resistance and even move themselves, the "super omega HD rumble" feels exactly like the haptics that the Steam Controller has been using for 5 years now, and otherwise it's just kind of a nice, normal controller.

Not that any of those are bad things, mind you, putting them all into one modern controller (as opposed to the Steam controller that no one uses) makes for some very cool possibilities (almost undoubtedly for first-party exclusives only unless MS adopts them for a mid-gen controller refresh) but each individual feature wasn't very new to me.

The most memorable part for me wasn't any of the controller stuff, it was the dumb GPU-themed song which I found very amusing, if for no other reason than someone wrote a song about the concept of a GPU.

Demon's Souls has been pretty fun. The fast loads feel really impressive, but when I sat down and thought about it, it didn't make any sense. From my memory, it didn't load any faster than I remember Souls games on PC loading. But it felt... different. So I loaded up Dark Souls 2 on PC (I didn't have 3 installed and didn't feel like installing it just to test this, but I remember its load times being very similar if not identical) and lo and behold, loading into the game, teleporting between bonfires was just as quick, quicker even as you don't have to wait for an animation to play out.

Then it hit me, it was the animation that made it feel different. Because these consoles will have real SSDs, games will have to take that account when dealing with loading. On PC we've had super fast loading for what feels like an eternity, but it's always jarring because the games aren't designed around it. So you get a cut to black, or a split second of a loading screen filled with text meant to entertain some poor sap who has to start at it for 45+ seconds if they've got nothing else going on. The animation of you turning into ectoplasm or whatever and the fog rolling in and then the animation completing on the other side makes it feel like a smooth transition, rather than a hard cut. I can't wait for those kinds of animations to come to multiplatform games because it will be a nice change of pace from me desperately trying to read the first sentence of 4 paragraphs in a loading screen, or critical hints/tips being only shown in said screen.

I'm installing Spider-Man now, I can finally get around to it now that it's 60 FPS. It just felt bad to me in 30. I've also got Sackboy ready to go, but I'm not sure if I care to try it any time soon. Mostly got it because there wasn't much else to get. I also plan to check out Ghosts of Tsushima sometime after I'm done with AC: Valhalla. Don't want to overload on open world games, but I'm also interested in it now that it's also at 60. Might wait for a sale, though. Still pretty expensive. And I still have Cold Steel 4 to play through. Juggling way too many games right now.

All in all while my mind hasn't been blown, it's been WAY better than the PS4 at whatever point I got it (shortly after Bloodborne launch) at least in terms of the console itself and new features. It doesn't feel like an underpowered laptop like the old consoles did at launch and it's bringing some genuinely new and neat stuff to the table. I hope this generation proves fruitful.

Had my first weird issue. Died to a boss in God Fall and right after I loaded back in the game froze and then proceeded to completely crash the console. Turned it all the way off. Waited a bit and it turned back on but sounded like it struggled a bit before turning on just fine. Got the “Your PS5 has an improper shutdown due to software error please send us the details message” but seems to be working fine now. 

7 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

There's at least 2 posts right now on the PS5 Reddit where people who ordered the digital PS5, opened the box to find the disc drive version inside.  Then there is a post with a misprinted controller that has a triangle button in place of the X button. Supposedly based on a teardown video of the controller, a triangle button wouldn't fit in the X buttons place. Some goofy shit going on. If I open my disc version and find a digital I'm going to be pissed. 

Guess I lucked out on this one (mine is just a normal digital unit). Yet I’m not sure if I would be happy for the free upgrade or pissed off I didn’t get the digital unit I expected (I think the digital design is better because of it being symmetrical).

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Had my first weird issue. Died to a boss in God Fall and right after I loaded back in the game froze and then proceeded to completely crash the console. Turned it all the way off. Waited a bit and it turned back on but sounded like it struggled a bit before turning on just fine. Got the “Your PS5 has an improper shutdown due to software error please send us the details message” but seems to be working fine now. 

Sounds like an awesome thing they just carried over from the PS4. Everything is working normally!

• Guillotine 1

8 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

There's at least 2 posts right now on the PS5 Reddit where people who ordered the digital PS5, opened the box to find the disc drive version inside.  Then there is a post with a misprinted controller that has a triangle button in place of the X button. Supposedly based on a teardown video of the controller, a triangle button wouldn't fit in the X buttons place. Some goofy shit going on. If I open my disc version and find a digital I'm going to be pissed. 

I think they had to cover DE ps5 orders, so they put in disk editions. Theres been no reports of the opposite. 

The dual sense is really nice, I think Sony really knocked it out of the park as far as if they insisted on keeping the analog stick placement then at least really improving the feel and quality of the gamepad.

It really feels about the quality of the premium controllers now and is packed with features while sticking with a $70 price.

Haven’t heard about the battery life but I’m assuming it’s improved just based on the heft.

It’s a shame they didn’t add two programmable top buttons and two programmable back buttons in a design like the razer wolverine gamepad:

spacer.png

Im sure there will be “pro” controller variants that add it eventually though I would like it from Sony themselves. That’s my preferred button placement so I’ll stick with that for PC but if they started supporting dual sense in pc games I could be convinced to switch.

Oh and another reason I at least want a back button attachment like ds4 got is I also want the option to program a button to where if you hold it down it switches to low sensitivity on the right analog stick.

This is how i have it set on the wolverine on the back left bumper, that way you have full smooth camera movement running around but when you go in for a headshot you hold down the button and can aim with a lot more accuracy. Really helps a lot with shooters on a gamepad.

14 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Well shit if you told me you could brutalize someone like this in Spider-Man I might've made more of an effort to complete it the first time around!

Careful, there's apparently a bug in Spiderman Remastered where you let the console go to sleep while it's running it will crash your system and it has a chance to brick your PS5.

16 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Careful, there's apparently a bug in Spiderman Remastered where you let the console go to sleep while it's running it will crash your system and it has a chance to brick your PS5.

That's the kind of high stakes gambles I want from my consoles.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

17 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Is this true?

I don't think its just Spiderman Remastered... its reportedly happening with Godfall and COD as well. I don't think its specific to particular game.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't think its just Spiderman Remastered... its reportedly happening with Godfall and COD as well. I don't think its specific to particular game.

Wow

29 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Hmmm, going by the article it seems to happen only when there’s an external hdd plugged in as well (unless I’m misunderstanding the error message). May be best to just leave any external drives unplugged from your PS5 until this is resolved? There’s also been reports of bricked consoles from simply playing BC games off of an external hdd.

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hmmm, going by the article it seems to happen only when there’s an external hdd plugged in as well (unless I’m misunderstanding the error message). May be best to just leave any external drives unplugged from your PS5 until this is resolved? There’s also been reports of bricked consoles from simply playing BC games off of an external hdd.

No I don't think it's related to that because you can't run PS5 games from an external hard drive. It seems like the only thing for certain is it's related to leaving games running and let the console go into sleep mode. They didn't specifically mention having an external drive plugged in, just that the error message they received stated it needed to "repair external drive"

17 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

The most memorable part for me wasn't any of the controller stuff, it was the dumb GPU-themed song which I found very amusing, if for no other reason than someone wrote a song about the concept of a GPU.

Did you find the hidden messages in that level? There are a few and they're kind of good.

So I beat the final boss (t-rex) on Astro's Playroom tpday. Love that the ps1 memory card has ken written on it. while I've collected probably 80% of the stuff in the game I probably won't go back to play more for a while. 

I also tried out bugsnacks yesterday but i'm kind of meh to it atm. =/ I decided to swap back to my PS4 for the next few weeks so I can finish Judgment (On chapter 8 of 14). After I finish judgment I'll probably come back to PS5 to play spiderman or some of the digital ps4 titles I have (like Yakuza 0 or Persona 5).

--

@Mercury33 It's not just PS4 games, it's games from the entire life of playstation. :) Today I found the one for Vib Ribbon

14 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

No I don't think it's related to that because you can't run PS5 games from an external hard drive. It seems like the only thing for certain is it's related to leaving games running and let the console go into sleep mode. They didn't specifically mention having an external drive plugged in, just that the error message they received stated it needed to "repair external drive"

Yes, I’m not saying SM was being played off an external, merely that an external hdd being plugged in is the catalyst: this error, and the error I previously posted about, both state that it needs to “repair your external drive” prior to the system bricking. How could it need to “repair your external drive” if you don’t have one plugged in? Seems like this has to do with external drives being plugged in causing some type of glitch (regardless as to whether or not the game being played is located on said external drive).