PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

26 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I have noticed faster download speeds over the last week on the PS4. Back when Covid started they came out and said they were limiting download speeds due to increased traffic. I definitely saw a difference downloading the Black Ops beta. I think the beta was around 30GB and it took 18 minutes to download. 

Interesting because it took me 40 minutes to download the 9gb Ghost of Tsushima update. And I'm on pretty fast interenet as I work remotely editing HD video on remote server in another state with very little lag. 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Interesting because it took me 40 minutes to download the 9gb Ghost of Tsushima update. And I'm on pretty fast interenet as I work remotely editing HD video on remote server in another state with very little lag. 

Sorry if the video has a sway to it, I took it on my way out the door this morning. There are times where the PSN is slow for me, but a majority of the time(and pre-Covid) this is what I'm getting.  I'm definitely lucky compared to most. My ping in Rocket League and Apex is usually around 18. I must live near some servers or something. 

My experience with PSN is always hit or miss.  Not sure how they throttle speeds, but at times it feels to be pretty quick, like the recent Ghost update, other times it seems it can take an hour for like a 10gb update.

Wifi definitely felt far worse before I got it hardwired.  Xbox typically gets me over 300Mb/s now, and someone showed the Series X hitting 800Mb/s, which will be outstanding if that's what we can expect going forward.

Sony host their own servers for PSN. I think there are like 2-3 regions setup for the US and you'll connect to download to the one closest. So for one user it can be great but total dog shit for another. Also the Wifi unit in PS4 is not the greatest (I get better speeds over wired than wireless on my Gigabit line). The updated NIC on the PS5 should improve dl for some people.

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

PSN is ridiculously slow for me and I have no issue with XB or Steam. I even use Ethernet for PSN while WiFi for Steam and XB. I am dreading the Demon Souls download on launch day. 

Opposite for me. Xbox takes nearly 50% longer to download vs PSN. And the Xbox is wired while the PS4 Pro is on wireless.:shrug:

• Shocked 2

5 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Sorry if the video has a sway to it, I took it on my way out the door this morning. There are times where the PSN is slow for me, but a majority of the time(and pre-Covid) this is what I'm getting.  I'm definitely lucky compared to most. My ping in Rocket League and Apex is usually around 18. I must live near some servers or something. 

That's certainly much better speeds than I get on PSN, but still far from what I should be getting.

cNFvihd.png

WWW.IGN.COM

The Xbox Series X vs. PS5 Launch Game Comparison Chart provides an easy visual aid to compare which games will be available at each of the respective console

New Third Party Games on Both Consoles
Assassin's Creed Valhalla Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Cyberpunk 2077 Just Dance 2021
New First and Third Party Console Exclusive Games
PlayStation 5 Xbox Series X
Astro's Playroom The Falconeer
Bugsnax Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Demon Souls  
Destruction All Stars
Godfall
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
The Pathless

PS 5 FTW!

That's actually a pretty good write up about launches as a whole.  Series X currently has more games confirmed with next-gen upgrades, but the PS5 has more launch day new releases.

They got Cyperpunk 2077 wrong, technically.  It's coming out a week after the systems launch, and won't get a true next-gen console patch until later.  It's mostly just a PS4/XBO release with future insurance this year.

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Hope you have fun with Destruction All Stars!

Sony needs to show the damn game already.  We've seen plenty of Sackboy, Demon Souls, Spiderman MM, Astrobot, etc, to get an an impression.  But this is a new IP and there's no legitimate gameplay cut 3 weeks from launch.  I don't think I've ever seen a major publisher be this cagey, even with a launch title.

11 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

For being a big media company, IGN has by far the worst quality game footage almost every single time.  How do they upload quality like that and not be embarrassed?

Could be wrong but this was just uploaded, I'm pretty sure the higher quality stuff takes longer to import. Like the option to play in 720p literally wasnt available a few minutes ago but is now

12 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Could be wrong but this was just uploaded, I'm pretty sure the higher quality stuff takes longer to import. Like the option to play in 720p literally wasnt available a few minutes ago but is now

Oh maybe? I don't upload to Youtube often though, but can't you schedule uploads ahead of time and time their actual release?  Why is Digital Foundry's videos always 4k right on release when I watch them?  IGN is the only site that seems to have the issue for me.

22 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Oh maybe? I don't upload to Youtube often though, but can't you schedule uploads ahead of time and time their actual release?  Why is Digital Foundry's videos always 4k right on release when I watch them?  IGN is the only site that seems to have the issue for me.

You absolutely can do that yeah, but analytics probably show that its just better to get content out ASAP or maybe they just dgaf

Not defending them btw their site is basically just one giant amazon advert these days, just pointing out one possibility.

38 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

You absolutely can do that yeah, but analytics probably show that its just better to get content out ASAP or maybe they just dgaf

Not defending them btw their site is basically just one giant amazon advert these days, just pointing out one possibility.

Well this video wasn't recorded today, it was teased the past few days.  It's something they've had, and had plenty of time to upload a 4k high bitrate video.  They just don't for whatever reason, it's baffling.

10 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.IGN.COM

The Xbox Series X vs. PS5 Launch Game Comparison Chart provides an easy visual aid to compare which games will be available at each of the respective console

PS 5 FTW!

I dunno if I'd say "FTW." PS5 has a lot more coming, but I dunno, nothing on that last besides Yakuza and I guess Demon's Souls has me even vaguely interested. Seems like a typical middling launch line-up. I'm not exactly thrilled to run out and spend $70+tax on a bunch of 6 hour launch games.

• Guillotine 1