PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The specs are equal to the PSone. You still buy it?

Not for $500 of course, but yeah I would.

Edit: I mean, it's where the games will be, right?  And that's why we do this; for the games.  We can assume it will be at least marginally better than the PS4 so any specs beyond that are just gilding the lily.  If it's got the games I'm already sold.

13 minutes ago, Slug said:

Not for $500 of course, but yeah I would.

Edit: I mean, it's where the games will be, right?  And that's why we do this; for the games.  We can assume it will be at least marginally better than the PS4 so any specs beyond that are just gilding the lily.  If it's got the games I'm already sold.

Going back to my ORIGINAL question and your answer. If it did have the specs of a PSone and it's all about the games, this would certainly make the PS5 games more unique. :p

The thing is, there isn't really a lot of room for the PS5 to be more powerful, or much less powerful, than the Nextbox. If they make the SSD really small then they could probably squeeze out an extra TFLOP of GPU power, but that will make next to zero real world difference at this point. There is no secret sauce anymore, just price points. 

13 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

The thing is, there isn't really a lot of room for the PS5 to be more powerful, or much less powerful, than the Nextbox. If they make the SSD really small then they could probably squeeze out an extra TFLOP of GPU power, but that will make next to zero real world difference at this point. There is no secret sauce anymore, just price points. 

Untrue. I have it on good authority that it has more bleeps, sweeps and creeps, tenfold.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

I have no interest in the next gen consoles whatsoever.

Cool. Thanks for posting in this thread bud.

But anyway, I only have eyes for the PS5 right now. I think the next Xbox will be more powerful but pale in comparison in terms of exclusives, just like last gen. But I don't think we'll see either console this year anyway.

Outside of Nintendo, I don't get excited about new consoles anymore. Sony and MS just introduce somewhat beefier versions of the last console and  the cycle goes on. Returns are diminishing.

I'm reasonably sure I'll get a PS5 at some point, but now that Sony is putting games on Steam...the desire is lessened some. Certainly not going to at or near launch.

I'm mostly just curious about price point.

4 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Steady now! This hype is likely about platform features as much as hardware features. 

I haven't been following the news that closely, but my impression has been that PS4 BC is very likely, while BC for the 3 older Playstation consoles is still up in the air, is that about right?

It remains one of the most important features to me, and I hope they bring some clarity tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I haven't been following the news that closely, but my impression has been that PS4 BC is very likely, while BC for the 3 older Playstation consoles is still up in the air, is that about right?

It remains one of the most important features to me, and I hope they bring some clarity tomorrow.

I’ve honestly not kept up with the BC capabilities, but the PS5 should certainly have the ability to run ps1-ps3 games in emulation and ps4 native(with a GPU wrapper).

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I’ve honestly not kept up with the BC capabilities, but the PS5 should certainly have the ability to run ps1-ps3 games in emulation and ps4 native(with a GPU wrapper).

And they'll have PSNow to offer streaming *until* they get those emulators working.

I hope they talk about the VR capabilities.  That's probably going to be the biggest difference between these consoles, since Microsoft isn't even addressing VR at all.