PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 hours ago, atom631 said:

arent some games on X1X already native 4K? and didnt Gears 5 hit native 4K/60? 

why would it be a reach to assume the next-gen will be able to handle that? 

I have no doubt it could handle it. But based on history, developers seem to be of the mind that console consumers would rather sacrifice 60fps for 30fps if it meant better IQ.

And if the consoles support VRR, which is now making its way into TVs, there's an even better argument for settle for something in between 30 and 60 than there was.

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I try to think about what Sony and MS are up against with this coming generation of hardware when I consider announcements like this:

1.) GPUs are not advancing fast enough to offer appreciably large jumps in graphic fidelity from generation to generation any more.

2.) Consoles don't sell very well above $399.99.  

3.) Consumers, rightly, want to know (but without much technical understanding) "What is new and great" about this next generation console?

So those constraints leave Console makers with the job of coming up with box bullets, this next gen that will read like this:

*4K/8K - yes, 8K is a BS pipe dream, but its technically possible as an output because of HDMI 2.1, so it goes on the list!

*Super fast load speeds! - This one is legit, welcome to SSD country console peoples!

*Super power CPUs! - Well, compared to last gen, yes! In actuality though, they will be what one might call, quite average.

*Hardware Ray Tracing! - Yes, indeed, but to what level? Ray tracing is a costly technique. Imagine if I painted a 1ftx1ft section of a house and then referred to it as a newly painted house. Technically I'm not wrong! But I am trying to trick you, yes? There will be ray tracing next gen, but it will come at the cost of a heavy frame rate drops or lots of tricks to make it fly. 

Please keep in mind, I'm not resentful or pessimistic about next gen, in fact I'll be day one on the PS5 for sure! I just like pointing out that saying your console has a feature is NOT the same as saying it can do that feature well at all. 

Edit: Right, Improved Haptics go on the box as well! More bullets than a Texas wedding! :lol:

While X1X already sort of has it, add VRR to the list, which is super important to me.

Also, potentially some interesting machine-learning driven stuff that will be made possible by beefier and better architected GPUs.

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I kinda hope the next generation launches with a bunch of bad/mediocre games, so I won’t feel like I’m missing out when I don’t buy a new console until they’ve had a couple of price cuts and maybe a hardware revision .  :p

Don’t you work at Target?  Just steal one.  🤷‍♀️

I was really hoping that the early rumors of the PS5 being backwards compatible with every former Playstation game disc would come true =( I still have all of my old PSx, PS2, PS3, and now Ps4 games, and it looks like I'm going to have to invest in one of those PS3 Test consoles to get what I want...

18 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

I was really hoping that the early rumors of the PS5 being backwards compatible with every former Playstation game disc would come true =( I still have all of my old PSx, PS2, PS3, and now Ps4 games, and it looks like I'm going to have to invest in one of those PS3 Test consoles to get what I want...

Are they for sure even going to have a disc slot?  I'm ready to be done with physical media.

• Guillotine 2

It's been widely reported that the PS5 will be able to play 4k discs and that the new physical discs for games will be able to hold 100gb of data. They want to go the streaming and game download path, but still have the ability to go backwards compatible with PS4 games and not make people who have monthly capped data not be able to download games =)

On 10/8/2019 at 8:47 PM, IdeaOfEvil said:

looks like I'm going to have to invest in one of those PS3 Test consoles to get what I want...

Good luck with that. They're not getting much cheaper and units will eventually YLOD. I mean less as a hur/hur ps3 break down and more that test kits are abused to hell and back. I fear the day mine breaks. :nervous:

6 hours ago, darkness35 said:

PS4 BC or bust.

Already confirmed, as well as PSVR BC.

7 hours ago, Dre801 said:

As ubiquitous as digital downloads are, it would be a mistake to make it a discless system and I'm glad the PS5 has a drive. 

I'm going to transition to buying 4K discs for movies I want, so I'm doubly happy discs remain.

15 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

It's been widely reported that the PS5 will be able to play 4k discs and that the new physical discs for games will be able to hold 100gb of data. They want to go the streaming and game download path, but still have the ability to go backwards compatible with PS4 games and not make people who have monthly capped data not be able to download games =)

They will of course have a physical drive... I was mostly kidding.  

But all those reasons you listed are kind of a joke.  Very few people are buying or using 4k discs (sorry none of us count.  I have a few too.  We aren't the norm. https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/147125-reasons-why-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-is-dead-before-it-really-started ) 

Also it has been proven time and again it does not matter what games you receive on a disc because no matter what you will need an internet connection for the 20GB day one patch, followed by weekly updates as long as the game is popular.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

They will of course have a physical drive... I was mostly kidding.  

But all those reasons you listed are kind of a joke.  Very few people are buying or using 4k discs (sorry none of us count.  I have a few too.  We aren't the norm. https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/147125-reasons-why-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-is-dead-before-it-really-started ) 

Also it has been proven time and again it does not matter what games you receive on a disc because no matter what you will need an internet connection for the 20GB day one patch, followed by weekly updates as long as the game is popular.

1)  There are still lots of places where internet connectivity is a big issue -- and data caps are still an issue in most of the US.  If games are going to be >100GB, there is going to be demand from a certain portion of the population to buy their games on disc.  

2)  It is still easier to find console games on physical media for a cheaper price than digital

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

1)  There are still lots of places where internet connectivity is a big issue -- and data caps are still an issue in most of the US.  If games are going to be >100GB, there is going to be demand from a certain portion of the population to buy their games on disc.  

2)  It is still easier to find console games on physical media for a cheaper price than digital

1) this explains the high physical sales numbers for PC

2) Subscription services bro.  Where we are going people won't be buying games.

As I said - they will almost certainly put in a drive so no need for anyone to worry.  But there is a lot of two years ago thinking going on here not much two years from now thinking.

5 hours ago, number305 said:

1) this explains the high physical sales numbers for PC

2) Subscription services bro.  Where we are going people won't be buying games.

As I said - they will almost certainly put in a drive so no need for anyone to worry.  But there is a lot of two years ago thinking going on here not much two years from now thinking.

1)  Consoles aren't PCs

2)  Unlikely.

Music is streamed significantly more than people purchase music yet vinyl made a comeback and new artists put stuff out on it. Limited Run Games takes digital-only titles, puts them on a disc, and they routinely sell out.

It's been proven that plenty of people like to own shit no matter how "advanced" we get technologically, and it makes sense to have the option there. If you want to talk two years from now, we'll still be buying games despite inroads with streaming services if music/movies are any indication. 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Music is streamed significantly more than people purchase music yet vinyl made a comeback and new artists put stuff out on it. Limited Run Games takes digital-only titles, puts them on a disc, and they routinely sell out.

It's been proven that plenty of people like to own shit no matter how "advanced" we get technologically, and it makes sense to have the option there. If you want to talk two years from now, we'll still be buying games despite inroads with streaming services if music/movies are any indication. 

So obviously Apple puts a record player on the side of the iphone so you can play all your vinyl right?

lol.  This isn't even an argument.  There will be a disc slot in the ps5.  You are free to be the weirdo at the gamestop at midnight to buy your discs. 

1 hour ago, number305 said:

So obviously Apple puts a record player on the side of the iphone so you can play all your vinyl right?

lol.  This isn't even an argument.  There will be a disc slot in the ps5.  You are free to be the weirdo at the gamestop at midnight to buy your discs. 

Not sure how Apple and iPhones are relevant?

There will be a disc slot for the reasons I stated. Even in a world where music streaming is bigger than game streaming, the ability to purchase digital and physical music remains. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

15 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Not sure how Apple and iPhones are relevant?

There will be a disc slot for the reasons I stated. Even in a world where music streaming is bigger than game streaming, the ability to purchase digital and physical music remains. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

Cool.  I wasn't sure how LP's were relevant.  You brought them up.

My point which I thought was obvious when I brought up the Iphone is that yes records have made a resurgence - but they are not supported on the devices that 99% of people list to their music on.  So - I don't see any reason for MS and Sony to be beholden to old technology for the sake of hipsters who want to use it.  Look at sales numbers for modern games - the scales have tipped.  People are buying more often digitally than physically.  This is a one way road - there isn't going to be a future where we go back.  Subscription services are also going to be a major thing.  Hardly anyone purchases music anymore - they just pay for a streaming service and listen to what they want.  That is coming for video games.  It has not been all figured out yet, and there will probably be a few ugly years before we totally get there - but it is coming.  

But again I don't know why you are so worked up.  This has literally already been announced.  There will be a physical drive.  You can use yours.  Mine will sit dormant and unused.  I'm a little unhappy that I have to pay the extra $7 for the hardware and deal with the increased size of the console and noise to have it present, but I'll cope somehow.