PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Weird. I only used mine for one movie, I generally have no use for physical media, but mine wasn’t very loud at all. Especially not compared to the jet engine that is ps4 pro.

It was a God of War disc which seemed to be spinning full RPMs the entire time.  I took it out and inserted a 4K Blu Ray movie and it wasn't as loud.  It would periodically get loud when seeking on the disc, but then quiet down, although even in the quieter moments it still sounded louder than my PS4 slim.

15 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Sony will be sending me a box to send in my PS5 for repairs or replacement.

if it brings you any comfort. My PS3 system pretty much was DOA when I bought it, but took me 2 weeks before calling them. I sent them my 20GB system in on a Monday (Via Purolator in Canada) and had a new replacement system in the same brown coffin box at my door that Wednesday by like 10am (I was just heading off to work when the knock came)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Fuck, the disc drive in mine is super fucking loud and even when sitting idle at the home menu with a disc inserted it's constantly spinning, and there's definitely some vibrational noise.

I had the same thought shortly after getting the PS5. Have you tried more than one disc yet? I have the Fast and the Furious collection on UHD. The night I got the PS5 hooked up I threw FF8 in the system to see how it looked. I thought the drive was ridiculously loud. I made a post about it shortly after. A few nights later I watched FF5 and i swear it wasn't as bad. I haven't retested both of them to see, but even my wife thought that it was much quieter.  I haven't tried a game disc yet either. Gotta get on that. 

Edit: just saw your other post. 

Just now, DarkStar189 said:

I had the same thought shortly after getting the PS5. Have you tried more than one disc yet? I have the Fast and the Furious collection on UHD. The night I got the PS5 hooked up I threw FF8 in the system to see how it looked. I thought the drive was ridiculously loud. I made a post about it shortly after. A few nights later I watched FF5 and i swear it wasn't as bad. I haven't retested both of them to see, but even my wife thought that it was much quieter.  I haven't tried a game disc yet either. Gotta get on that. 

I first installed God of War and the drive seemed to run at full RPMs for like 20+ minutes.  Then I ejected it and put in a 4k Blu-ray and it was much quieter, but would get loud for half a second when skipping around from chapter to chapter.

I'm about to test it out God of War and another game a bit later so I'll update shortly.

6 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I first installed God of War and the drive seemed to run at full RPMs for like 20+ minutes.  Then I ejected it and put in a 4k Blu-ray and it was much quieter, but would get loud for half a second when skipping around from chapter to chapter.

I'm about to test it out God of War and another game a bit later so I'll update shortly.

I just tried FF8 and FF5 again. The drive is much louder and busier sounding with part 8 inserted. Weird... 

1 minute ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Yeah I did a quick google search and I ran across a few posts saying different games/discs responded differently.

I don't know how to feel about that. Im mostly all digital but wanted the disc drive for movies. But I don't want some loud ass disc drive getting in the way of that. It seems to quiet down when the movie is playing, but anything around that with FF8 is almost laughably bad. 

4 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I don't know how to feel about that. Im mostly all digital but wanted the disc drive for movies. But I don't want some loud ass disc drive getting in the way of that. It seems to quiet down when the movie is playing, but anything around that with FF8 is almost laughably bad. 

Ok I put God of War back in and it initially sounded fucking loud, then somehow kept getting louder with vibrational noise.  But then I once I loaded my actual game save and got to move around in-game, the disc stopped spinning and is now quiet.  Perhaps it was still trying to copy the rest of the data onto the SSD, because I see no reason why it would need to spin that fast just to verify I have the disc installed.

I do have the FF franchise, but not in 4k.  So I could try a regular FF8 blu-ray along with LOTR in 4k.

@DarkStar189

Ok, the strange vibrational noise was coming from the white plastic shell of the PS5.  When a disc is running at high or full RPMs the drive is causing those things to vibrate against the console.  I put my hands on them to dampen the vibration and the sound goes away.  The disc drive itself isn't making the noise, thank god, and really isn't much louder than the PS4 drive @ full RPMs.

I played a regular 1080p Blu Ray and the disc drive was silent.

I popped in a 4k LOTR disc and the drive was louder, but not very audible at sitting distant.  Sounded like a normal 120mm case fan in a PC, a pleasant hum.  But when it spins up to seek a different location you can definitely notice it.

Here is my proof!  This is the PS5 copying the contents of Concrete Genie disc onto the SSD.

39 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

@DarkStar189

Ok, the strange vibrational noise was coming from the white plastic shell of the PS5.  When a disc is running at high or full RPMs the drive is causing those things to vibrate against the console.  I put my hands on them to dampen the vibration and the sound goes away.  The disc drive itself isn't making the noise, thank god, and really isn't much louder than the PS4 drive @ full RPMs.

I played a regular 1080p Blu Ray and the disc drive was silent.

I popped in a 4k LOTR disc and the drive was louder, but not very audible at sitting distant.  Sounded like a normal 120mm case fan in a PC, a pleasant hum.  But when it spins up to seek a different location you can definitely notice it.

Here is my proof!  This is the PS5 copying the contents of Concrete Genie disc onto the SSD.

I'm curious... if you stand it up vertically, would you get the same noise?

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm curious... if you stand it up vertically, would you get the same noise?

I've read that vertical alignment does produce less vibration.  I can only assume since the horizontal stand is in contact with both the solid wood desk and the plastic shell there is just no where for that vibration to go, and in vertical mode the stand doesn't touch the shell plus the drive is oriented differently to minimize vibration.  

I can't really put my system in vertical mode right now.  I can live with the noise as it only happens when copying a disc to the internal drive.  Once it finishes copying the data it doesn't vibrate the shell. 

In the meantime I'll try to adjust the stand, perhaps there's a sweet spot, and then try to put a cloth/rubber mat under it to dampen vibration.  I knew I'd find a use for old ass mousepads sooner or later.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

From what I've heard online, you'll probably get a new system shortly. Like they'll send the replacement out before they receive your original.

My biggest concern was trying to find a local FedEx office near where I live. I have a bunch of drop boxes but needed a physical store to take it to. I found a FedEx Office print & Ship Center I think works? 

9 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I mean, I certainly get that you want it to be quieter either way, but why the disk? GoW is free on ps+ digitally.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:26 PM, Xbob42 said:

We got any exclusives coming out any time soon? Kinda haven't touched my PS5 in a few days and will mostly be using it for Trails of Cold Steel IV for the foreseeable future. Obviously will be playing Cyberpunk on PC. Pretty excited about God of War since the first one was so dammed fun, but I guess I must not have been paying attention because I can't really think of much beyond that... Ratchet and Clank of course. 

So if you're done with Spidey/Demon's Souls/Astro's Playroo/Sackboy or whichever combination you bought, the next ones are Destruction AllStars in I think February, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Returnal sometime Q1 methinks, with Gran Turismo 7 slated for the first half of the year.

God of War and Horizon Forbidden West are slated for the end of 2021 (I think the former is probably more at risk for a delay due to COVID).