PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

Exclusive: A Deeper Look at the PlayStation 5

Ever since the original PlayStation hit the market in 1994, Sony's series of videogame consoles has stuck to the numbers. No "Super," no "Max," no "Code Red Xtreme"; just PlayStations 2, 3, and 4. With such unwavering consistency, the name of the next iteration has been a question only in the most technical sense—but Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan is still ready to answer it. The console, he tells me, will be called PlayStation 5. "It's nice to be able to say it," he says. "Like a giant burden has been lifted from my shoulders."

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The talk about "installing part of a game" and that current HDDs have lots of data redundancy is curious.  Is Sony trying to warm us up for a discussion on why a 500GB SSD makes sense in a PS5?  If the SSD is that small, is TLC robust enough to live through those re-writes over 5 years of hardcore gaming?

I had originally thought that they would go for a hybrid solution (some on MB SSD plus a HDD) -- if they are going full SSD, I can't see them putting more than 500GB of TLC in the base SKU (even at today's much lower NAND prices) and pricing this console at US$400.

Playstation Blog: An update on next-gen: PlayStation 5 launches holiday 2020

To that end, there are two key innovations with PlayStation 5’s new controller. First, we’re adopting haptic feedback to replace the “rumble” technology found in controllers since the 5th generation of consoles. With haptics, you truly feel a broader range of feedback, so crashing into a wall in a race car feels much different than making a tackle on the football field. You can even get a sense for a variety of textures when running through fields of grass or plodding through mud.

The second innovation is something we call adaptive triggers, which have been incorporated into the trigger buttons (L2/R2). Developers can program the resistance of the triggers so that you feel the tactile sensation of drawing a bow and arrow or accelerating an off-road vehicle through rocky terrain. In combination with the haptics, this can produce a powerful experience that better simulates various actions. Game creators have started to receive early versions of the new controller, and we can’t wait to see where their imagination goes with these new features at their disposal.

Not gonna get excited over haptic feedback in the controller, especially the triggers. Xbox has had that for years and very few developers actually utilize it. Most of the time the controller just feels like you touched the sides in Operation.

The programmable resistance could be cool, IF devs use it (which most of them won't).

When someone talks about "working on a big one right now" -- video games aren't the first thing that comes to mind.

36 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Not gonna get excited over haptic feedback in the controller, especially the triggers. Xbox has had that for years and very few developers actually utilize it. Most of the time the controller just feels like you touched the sides in Operation.

The programmable resistance could be cool, IF devs use it (which most of them won't).

The triggers are transformative for racing games though -- I don't know how people race without them.

1 hour ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

If both consoles have it then devs may actually use it.

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

gimme steady 4K/60 with hi-res textures, SSD and backwards compatibility with my PS4 library and ill be happy. 

4k/60 will be rare.  It is possible and Sony will probably make a few games that hit the mark, but it won't be the norm on either console.

1 minute ago, number305 said:

4k/60 will be rare.  It is possible and Sony will probably make a few games that hit the mark, but it won't be the norm on either console.

arent some games on X1X already native 4K? and didnt Gears 5 hit native 4K/60? 

why would it be a reach to assume the next-gen will be able to handle that? 

3 minutes ago, atom631 said:

arent some games on X1X already native 4K? and didnt Gears 5 hit native 4K/60? 

why would it be a reach to assume the next-gen will be able to handle that? 

Gears 5 is.  It took a lot of work and time coding specifically for the one X to get there.  There are also a ton of 30fps games on the X.  The new systems will be more powerful and you will see games from both MS and Sony that hit that target on their respective consoles.  However I wouldn't expect every game to hit that.  I would expect fewer 3rd party games will get there.  I could be wrong.  There are smarter people than me on this board that could better answer this question.

The console's home screen will apparently also allow more flexibility for how players enter games. Players will seemingly be able to boot up a game, straight into a multiplayer activity, or specific single-player mission, even being told what rewards they'll get in-game for doing so.

WTF??

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The triggers are transformative for racing games though -- I don't know how people race without them.

Oh, I'm not saying they aren't great. I love it when a game utilizes the rumble in the triggers on my Xbox. Racing games like Forza 7 are awesome. My gripe is that aside from racing and shooting, they aren't really used for much.

Remember when the Gamecube had that extra button under the right analog trigger? And when you pressed it in Rogue Leader, it would speed up your X-wing, and when you pressed it far enough to click, it would close the wings and send you into cruising mode? That shit was great, I would love to see something like that come back. Hell, I'd love to see Rogue Squadron come back. 

11 minutes ago, number305 said:

Gears 5 is.  It took a lot of work and time coding specifically for the one X to get there.  There are also a ton of 30fps games on the X.  The new systems will be more powerful and you will see games from both MS and Sony that hit that target on their respective consoles.  However I wouldn't expect every game to hit that.  I would expect fewer 3rd party games will get there.  I could be wrong.  There are smarter people than me on this board that could better answer this question.

that makes sense to me. i would imagine all 1st party games for both consoles will try to hit 4k/60.  most 3rd parties games will depend on how well they are optimized. hopefully if the hardware between the two consoles is similar, it will help. 

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

@Spork3245 whats funny? you dont think this will be possible? 

My 2080 Ti can barely achieve 4k 60 steadily. The next consoles won’t be doing it consistently unless they keep the current graphical fidelity of PS4/Xbone and only move for higher fps and framerates.

Yes, Gears 5 and Forza games are 4k 60 on the One X, however, the graphics settings are still reduced compared to the PC version. 

22 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

My 2080 Ti can barely achieve 4k 60 steadily. The next consoles won’t be doing it consistently unless they keep the current graphical fidelity of PS4/Xbone and only move for higher fps and framerates.

Yes, Gears 5 and Forza games are 4k 60 on the One X, however, the graphics settings are still reduced compared to the PC version. 

All experience points to console makers pushing graphical fidelity over smoothness. When given the power to raise framerates (but keep graphics level) or increase graphics level (and keep 30 frames per second), they almost always choose the latter. 

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The talk about "installing part of a game" and that current HDDs have lots of data redundancy is curious.  Is Sony trying to warm us up for a discussion on why a 500GB SSD makes sense in a PS5?  If the SSD is that small, is TLC robust enough to live through those re-writes over 5 years of hardcore gaming?

I had originally thought that they would go for a hybrid solution (some on MB SSD plus a HDD) -- if they are going full SSD, I can't see them putting more than 500GB of TLC in the base SKU (even at today's much lower NAND prices) and pricing this console at US$400.

Yeah, I definitely think that Sony is making sure we're ready for much smaller drives. I'm not really worried about the life of the drive holding up, but it is hard to imagine them putting in a very large drive.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

All experience points to console makers pushing graphical fidelity over smoothness. When given the power to raise framerates (but keep graphics level) or increase graphics level (and keep 30 frames per second), they almost always choose the latter. 

I think you're absolutely right.  This is what I've seen as well.

5 hours ago, atom631 said:

gimme steady 4K/60 with hi-res textures, SSD and backwards compatibility with my PS4 library and ill be happy. 

If they are really going to add Ray Tracing to these consoles, it will be at the expense of both resolution and framerate.  The Nvidia RTX cards (i.e. @Spork3245' 2080Ti) can do 4k60 on a number of games -- but if Ray Tracing is turned on, both resolution and frame rate fall.

I'm not entirely sold on better haptics, but it can't hurt. A big deal was made of it in the Switch, and I've been entirely unimpressed. Maybe the dual shock has enough room in it to fit more impactful mechanics, but I will remain skeptical of the gameplay implications until proven otherwise.

Also, if you think that this will be the generation where developers finally start to prioritize frame rates above all else, please stop.

I try to think about what Sony and MS are up against with this coming generation of hardware when I consider announcements like this:

1.) GPUs are not advancing fast enough to offer appreciably large jumps in graphic fidelity from generation to generation any more.

2.) Consoles don't sell very well above $399.99.  

3.) Consumers, rightly, want to know (but without much technical understanding) "What is new and great" about this next generation console?

So those constraints leave Console makers with the job of coming up with box bullets, this next gen that will read like this:

*4K/8K - yes, 8K is a BS pipe dream, but its technically possible as an output because of HDMI 2.1, so it goes on the list!

*Super fast load speeds! - This one is legit, welcome to SSD country console peoples!

*Super power CPUs! - Well, compared to last gen, yes! In actuality though, they will be what one might call, quite average.

*Hardware Ray Tracing! - Yes, indeed, but to what level? Ray tracing is a costly technique. Imagine if I painted a 1ftx1ft section of a house and then referred to it as a newly painted house. Technically I'm not wrong! But I am trying to trick you, yes? There will be ray tracing next gen, but it will come at the cost of a heavy frame rate drops or lots of tricks to make it fly. 

Please keep in mind, I'm not resentful or pessimistic about next gen, in fact I'll be day one on the PS5 for sure! I just like pointing out that saying your console has a feature is NOT the same as saying it can do that feature well at all. 

Edit: Right, Improved Haptics go on the box as well! More bullets than a Texas wedding! :lol: