PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ah, yes, I'm aware of this. It's not nearly as good as it's touted, as I've tried it. Very few run smoothly ("playable" is a very variable term) and none run better than just running it on the actual system.

I've been meaning to try it, just haven't gotten around to it. I'd like to see the performance for myself. Though I do believe Jeff Gerstmann played some emulated PS3 on stream and it ran well.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

I've been meaning to try it, just haven't gotten around to it. I'd like to see the performance for myself. Though I do believe Jeff Gerstmann played some emulated PS3 on stream and it ran well.

It's very particular. Some games, particularly the bigger releases, do play well. But most don't. Any more obscure game I want to play (and it's typically mid-tier and indie and obscure game people are typically trying to go back and play) never ran well. I've tried it for Asura's Wrath, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron, and others at different points in the last 2 years and none worked. Demon's Souls is still very limited (though progress has been made). It's just not there, but definitely try it at least!

Turns out the rumors were true the PS5 is the largest console in modern history.

The photos also show just how big the PS5 truly is. We learned earlier this week that the PS5 is the biggest game console in modern history, even topping the Xbox One VCR-like shape and Sony’s own PS3. Sony released official dimensions during its PS5 event this week, but they don’t include the “largest projection” or the optional base measurements.

It’s clear from these photos that it’s going to be a challenge to fit a PS5 into entertainment centers, just as it will be with the Xbox Series X. Both consoles appear to be designed to primarily stand vertically, looking rather unwieldy on their sides.

I'm curious how loud this freaking thing is. I'm definitely getting an extended warranty with this thing. 

Ultimately I will get over the design, but god damn its the dumbest looking console. It looks like an architecture student with a poor grasp of Frank Lloyd Wright's design approach was contracted to design a new "modern Arts & Sciences" building for a suburban community college. Fucking yuck. 

Thought the PS5 reminded me of something... : Temple

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 2

Devs love PS5 (starts at 38:50)

"Every single developer I've spoken to developing for PS5 has been evangelising how easy it is to work for, Its essentially the same development environment as PS4 and you scale up from there, for the new powers, the features and whatnot. I can't stress enough how happy developers seem to be with this situation

There is simply no doubt that the XSX on paper, the more powerful machine. However again, speaking to developers the development environment they are dealing with some people seem to be extremely happy with it, other people are having problems with it because they've moved away from what was previously the XDK which was specific for the Xbox to the GDK which is a more general environment for PC and for Xbox and even Xbox one is encompassed by the GDK"

It may be easier to work with but multi platform games will perform better on the X. The reason why PSVR wasn’t announced for RE8 is because they can’t get it to run smoothly on the PS5. I think this will be common early in the generation. #RE8downgradeduetoPS5

From what I've seen regarding Xbox's new dev kits is that it is drastically different and new, because it's made to bring PC and Xbox development closer than ever, as well as taking full advantage of all next gen RDNA2 features.  Long term this should be a great thing if it allows devs to port versions of PC or Xbox games much easier.

By that same notion, there still isn't clarity on what actual RDNA 2 features PS5 has, and by the sounds of this, it sounds like the PS5 is largely the same as the PS4 but with more power and a few new features, making the jump of developing for PS5 largely the same as PS4.  

Will have to wait and see how it shakes out though.  Some also feel Xbox is waiting for the next AMD show of the new graphics cards to start showing performance as their GPU is using all the new features of the new AMD Tech.

6 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Sounds like someone’s brother made the wrong choice. 

Honestly it's just all dumb internet rumors right now.  I've seen dumb shit floating around, but have no idea the validity of any of it.  

Digital Foundry is definitely reputable, so I believe what they are saying.  But what he's saying is pretty vague.  

Dusk Golem is also someone that's been reputable with his info, especially regarding Resident Evil.  He's doubled down on the fact he believes multiplats should be performing much better on Xbox compared to PS5 based on what he's heard.

Just like last gen though, it's all just talk until these things actually start releasing stuff that can be compared and evaluated.

16 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It may be easier to work with but multi platform games will perform better on the X. The reason why PSVR wasn’t announced for RE8 is because they can’t get it to run smoothly on the PS5. I think this will be common early in the generation. #RE8downgradeduetoPS5

RE7 was downgraded to run without hitches on psvr. This is the sole story of trouble I've read as devs have either openly or to DF praised the architecture for a long time now.

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

RE7 was downgraded to run without hitches on psvr. This is the sole story of trouble I've read as devs have either openly or to DF praised the architecture for a long time now.

It's not just PSVR that's the hurdle.  If this insider is to be believed, they are having to scale the game back of next gen features due to the PS5 issues.

resident-evil-village-image-2-300x169.jp
GAMINGBOLT.COM

Known Resident Evil insider Dusk Golem the upcoming sequel's PS5 version is "an actual hurdle at the moment."

4 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

It's not just PSVR that's the hurdle.  If this insider is to be believed, they are having to scale the game back of next gen features due to the PS5 issues.

resident-evil-village-image-2-300x169.jp
GAMINGBOLT.COM

Known Resident Evil insider Dusk Golem the upcoming sequel's PS5 version is "an actual hurdle at the moment."

It's why I mentioned it's the sole story I've heard in the negative. Its cake easy development has been praised for a long time now.

56 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Ultimately I will get over the design, but god damn its the dumbest looking console. It looks like an architecture student with a poor grasp of Frank Lloyd Wright's design approach was contracted to design a new "modern Arts & Sciences" building for a suburban community college. Fucking yuck.

Sounds like you are more offended as a man of construction than you are as a gamer. 🤔

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Sounds like you are more offended as a man of construction than you are as a gamer. 🤔

Definitely. Including shyte PC laptop design, the PS5 is not the most offensive box I've ever seen, but still its close. Plastic casing aside, I'm excited for a new generation of hardware though!  

11 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

PS4 Spiderman - 47GB

PS5 Spiderman - 55GB.

Demons Souls and Spiderman MM Ultimate takes up roughly 21% of the SSD space. I guess managing your SSD space is a new PS5 exclusive mini game. 

Figure It Out What GIF by CBC

Just like the Xbox.  As long as you can store next gen games on external drives and transfer them in and out quickly, I don't see it as that big of an issue.

It could be an issue is the PS5 doesn't have 2 different slots for storage.

Cross-gen AAA tittles that support Raytracing but rely on light maps for performance modes are going to be a larger install in many if not most cases.

The one exception will likely be the Series S, with Raytracing being far from a given devs can exclude BVH volumes from the sku’s build.

15 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Just like the Xbox.  As long as you can store next gen games on external drives and transfer them in and out quickly, I don't see it as that big of an issue.

It could be an issue is the PS5 doesn't have 2 different slots for storage.

The problem is that SSD storage expansion is expensive.  On one hand you have a console that only supports proprietary drives, which won't remain competitive in the market.  On the other you have one that supports only the top of the line stuff at the moment.