PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

So I guess it's official no PS1, PS2 or PS3 backwards compatibility on PS5. That's a bummer. I could of swore they said it would be possible but in limited quantity. I remember people being excited that they would be able to pop in their old disc and play. Or did they say it would only be possible via PS Now?

playstationcontrollerevolution-blogroll-
WWW.IGN.COM

Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO and President Jim Ryan confirmed that PS5 will not be compatible with PS3, PS2, or PS1 games.

10 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

It’s a business model that Nintendo has sure made billions on lol

As a thank you to all of our long-time fans we're offering you the  opportunity to purchase Super Bros. 3 again for the 10th time at the low low price of $15.99*

*will absolutely in no way shape or form ever be transferable to future systems

12 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

It’s a business model that Nintendo has sure made billions on lol

It's why I decided to skip out on the 3D Mario All Stars. $60 for 2 great games and 1 ok one with minor improvements? Xbox gave a bunch of Xbox 360 and original Xbox games free enhancements. Hopefully Sony can at least do that with PS4 games.

2 hours ago, The def star said:

So I guess it's official no PS1, PS2 or PS3 backwards compatibility on PS5. That's a bummer. I could of swore they said it would be possible but in limited quantity. I remember people being excited that they would be able to pop in their old disc and play. Or did they say it would only be possible via PS Now?

playstationcontrollerevolution-blogroll-
WWW.IGN.COM

Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO and President Jim Ryan confirmed that PS5 will not be compatible with PS3, PS2, or PS1 games.

Not surprising, but disappointing.

When the year started and it was still a pretty good looking rumor that PS5 would have universal BC I was not only going to make the PS5 the first console I ever bought at launch, but also pick up my first 4k TV to go along with it.

Now, I will probably be waiting 3 or 4 years to pick one up. I mean, Sony isn't responsible for all of it, what with the world ending in a fiery plague and all, but it was nice of them to go out of their way to make the PS5 disappointing enough so that I really don't mind having to wait.

No surprise about lack of BC. They should at least put their entire catalogs online for digital download to allow PS5 owners to play PS1/PS2/PS3 games that way if we can't pop in the actual disc to have it work.

Thank god emulation on PC is so good. It's just a shame there's still no good emulator/emulation for Xbox Original, Xbox 360, and PS3 games yet. But everything else is easy.

3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Not surprising, but disappointing.

When the year started and it was still a pretty good looking rumor that PS5 would have universal BC I was not only going to make the PS5 the first console I ever bought at launch, but also pick up my first 4k TV to go along with it.

Now, I will probably be waiting 3 or 4 years to pick one up. I mean, Sony isn't responsible for all of it, what with the world ending in a fiery plague and all, but it was nice of them to go out of their way to make the PS5 disappointing enough so that I really don't mind having to wait.

Having 5 generations of games to play is unheard of. It’s impossible. It can’t be done. Seriously. Can’t ever be done. 

*looks at PC 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

No surprise about lack of BC. They should at least put their entire catalogs online for digital download to allow PS5 owners to play PS1/PS2/PS3 games that way if we can't pop in the actual disc to have it work.

Thank god emulation on PC is so good. It's just a shame there's still no good emulator/emulation for Xbox Original, Xbox 360, and PS3 games yet. But everything else is easy.

It's actually come a LONG way for those 3 consoles in the past year, I was pretty surprised when I checked.

Cerny did say during the deep dive they had a second slot for expandable storage right?  You don't have to replace the existing SSD with a larger one.  I'm fairly confident I remember him stating that.  

A Digital Foundry article states it's unclear if it's a second slot for expansion, or if you need to replace the existing drive.

12 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I feel like I’m the only who who doesn’t give two shits about Backwards Compatibility lol. Once I play a game 99% of the time I have no desire to ever play it again. 

I typically don't replay games either.

I want BC because I have so many games I want to play that I haven't played yet from this gen, and even 360 and OG Xbox titles.

I'd rather not need to keep my X1X around for it.  And if they add extra enhancements to it free of charge, I'll gladly take it.

44 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

JSRF is playable now. What else do you need?  :D 

The entire library of each system! :p 

32 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

PS3 has a good emulator.

I haven't really checked with Xbox in a while but for a long time it could only sort of run Halo

There's nothing on the 360 to emulate (well not much) since most of it is on PC.

There's no good PS3 emulator as far as I'm aware of? How many games can it run? 

15 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I feel like I’m the only who who doesn’t give two shits about Backwards Compatibility lol. Once I play a game 99% of the time I have no desire to ever play it again. 

Lots of us care. It keeps our old discs valuable, and ignoring physical media, if the games were made available digitally it'd allow newer/younger gamers to play old games they've never played before that they might want to. Or any gamer who missed a game (or several). I recently had to buy physical copies of Lost Odyssey, Asura's Wrath, and El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron to be able to play them, and I had to have the physical systems to run them because they are only available on PS3 and Xbox 360, both of which still cannot be emulated on PC.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ah, yes, I'm aware of this. It's not nearly as good as it's touted, as I've tried it. Very few run smoothly ("playable" is a very variable term) and none run better than just running it on the actual system.

Emulation on PC otherwise improves, sharpens, and enhances every game it emulates. RPCS3 simply isn't nearly there. It's certainly further along than OG Xbox or Xbox 360 emulation on PC though.

1 minute ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Microsoft gave away Lost Odyssey a while back. 

missing schitts creek GIF by CBC

Hahaha to be fair I already owned Lost Odyssey since when the game came out (I just never got around to playing it), it was the other two that I snatched on Amazon at different points. All three were great to play! But I would have preferred a PC emulator that enhanced the games. I did play them under optimal conditions otherwise though (1080p TV, HDMI cables, etc.). :p