PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

If Sony were smart, they'd start pushing hard for their own version of Xbox Game Pass, and start day and date releasing all their games on PS5 and PC at the same time. They already beat Microsoft in the "closed hardware OS console for your TV" space, now it's time to beat them on PC instead of getting complacent. Those who want a PS5 are gonna buy one regardless of the fact that everything will also be on PC. They should release their full back catalog of all games on Steam/PS Now, etc., and go from there. 

As I said in that other thread they aren't going to do this. Jim Ryan said AAA games cost to much to make to do a game pass thing.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Men with disposable income simply cannot be helped from wanting to buy something they don't know anything about and don't know when they can actually buy it. 

Shots fired!

and I’ve been struck 😬

I have two preorders (Amazon Germany and Wal-Mart), mostly because I went to Amazon international since that site ran like butter the first night of preorders.

Wal-Mart I got yesterday. I'm not doing it for scalping; basically, Wal-Mart will replace Germany, or Best Buy will replace both if I can snag one from there. I've never preordered a console, but it was actually strangely easy for me once the sites worked decently.

22 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Destruction All Stars is $70.

They know people are desperate for next gen games.

I figured it'd be a $40 tops.

I honestly don’t mind the price jump. It’s been like 15 years since the last one. So the Godfall price is fine. But yeah I was def not expecting DA to be full price. But then again I know very little about it haha

Godfall looks much better now than it a couple months ago. Of course, the studio has let Sony handle most of the advertising and gameplay video now, so there’s that. It still looks like a glorified mobile game but I’m still intrigued. And the fact that the developers champion the fact of “NO micro transactions, and if you want it, it’s in the game day one”... yea. I can get behind that. 

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I honestly don’t mind the price jump. It’s been like 15 years since the last one. So the Godfall price is fine. But yeah I was def not expecting DA to be full price. But then again I know very little about it haha

This is true, I have no idea how big of a game it is.  It just strikes me as the type of game that is typically free2play but sells skins and what not, so I'm really curious about what it's all about now that it's a full $70.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh my bad... I have no idea what Destruction All Stars is :p

It's that destruction derby game that looks like rocket league and you can get out of your car. It was in the Sony Presentation the one 2 presentations ago, the one with the cat game. Also it was in the sizzle reel at the beginning of the presentation on Wednesday.

And the reason I see Destruction All Stars as a F2P is it looks like the type a multiplayer only type of game that could have Seasonal Passes, Skins, ect.  

Not that it'd need to be F2P, but a $30/$40 price would make more sense based on what little we've seen of it.  But as Merc pointed out, we really don't know much about it, so who knows what else it has to justify a $70 price tag.  

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

And the reason I see Destruction All Stars as a F2P is it looks like the type a multiplayer only type of game that could have Seasonal Passes, Skins, ect.  

Not that it'd need to be F2P, but a $30/$40 price would make more sense based on what little we've seen of it.  But as Merc pointed out, we really don't know much about it, so who knows what else it has to justify a $70 price tag.  

It should be F2P because @skillzdadirecta doesn't even remember it exists. :p

40 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Sorta

There needs to be an extended cut for this to illustrate the appeal beyond a conceptual level.  I don't like the marketing.

53 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Ironic to say after all the AAA multiplayer-centric, full-price retail games we've seen this gen riddled with those same micro-transactions.

I think it's more that any new multiplayer IP has something to prove if it's going retail.

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

There needs to be an extended cut for this to illustrate the appeal beyond a conceptual level.  I don't like the marketing.

Ironic to say after all the AAA multiplayer-centric, full-price retail games we've seen this gen riddled with those same micro-transactions.

I think it's more that any new multiplayer IP has something to prove if it's going retail.

Such as?  I know CoD:MW has Season Passes and skins, but also has Warzone which is F2P.

Gears 5 I know was guilty of selling skins, but not sure they did the Season Pass thing.  I also do think multiplayer only vs a game with a fairly robust Single Player Campaign and other modes is worth noting. I have heard the new CoDs campaign is fantastic.

Other than that most of the more recent bigger multiplayer games I can think of have been F2P I think.  Spellbreak just launched as F2P, Ubisofts BR Hyperscape was F2P.  Apex Legends obviously.  Valorant is F2P.  Fortnite the behemoth that it is F2P.

I am having a hard time thinking of too many big Multiplayer centric games that also have Season Passes and Skins,ect.

21 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I am having a hard time thinking of too many big Multiplayer centric games that also have Season Passes and Skins,ect.

Any current-gen CoD really, Division 1 & 2, Rainbow Six Seige, Avengers, For Honor, Mortal Kombat 11, PUBG, Fallout 76?, Overwatch (with lootboxes), etc.  They're everywhere.

25 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Any current-gen CoD really, Division 1 & 2, Rainbow Six Seige, Avengers, For Honor, Mortal Kombat 11, PUBG, Fallout 76?, Overwatch (with lootboxes), etc.  They're everywhere.

Some of those have pretty robust campaigns and other content, and aren't just multiplayer centric games.  A few of them have also been updated with free content for years and years after launch.

CoD has probably been the most egregious though, but that's Activision for you.  This new MW is the first time they don't have map packs and shit you need to buy.

20 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Some of those have pretty robust campaigns and other content, and aren't just multiplayer centric games.  A few of them have also been updated with free content for years and years after launch.

CoD has probably been the most egregious though, but that's Activision for you.  This new MW is the first time they don't have map packs and shit you need to buy.

CoD (typically) has a more robust single-player focused campaign than the rest I mentioned.  And free content doesn't negate battle passes if they're still sold.

In summary: This is all fairly commonplace with multiplayer-centric games.  F2P, upscale indie, AAA retail ... the battle pass is still the monetization method of choice now that lootboxes have been shunned.  Every corner of the industry is dug in now.