PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 hours ago, The def star said:

From watching the Giant Bomb stream it sounds like they have to buy it out of pocket. I'm not sure if it's because they are working from home, if maybe only Jeff G is getting one for reviews or if Sony isn't sending them out this time round.

The Kinda Funny guys were talking about having to pre-order theirs as well. If Sony was gonna send anybody one, it would be them. Theyre some of the biggest ponies on youtube. Sony sneezes and they jizz their pants.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The def star said:

I'm pretty sure Sony is taking a hit on DE so they must really want to push the more expensive version.

They really should have just focused all their manufacturing on the disc version and announced the DE was coming next March.  They were always going to sell out this first shipment immediately no matter what they put out there.

2 minutes ago, number305 said:

They really should have just focused all their manufacturing on the disc version and announced the DE was coming next March.  They were always going to sell out this first shipment immediately no matter what they put out there.

It allowed them to have a headline of PS5 $399.99.  And the press are basically running with it.  

"Sony Wins Again" with $399.99 price tag.

13 minutes ago, number305 said:

I'm not sure they needed that.  They were always going to 'win' this fall in system sales.

It looks good when moms and dads are comparing consoles. Though they will most likely get their kids a Series S cuz it's the cheapest but $399 doesn't look too bad if they're kids really want a PS5. That's if they can get one.

49 minutes ago, The def star said:

It looks good when moms and dads are comparing consoles. Though they will most likely get their kids a Series S cuz it's the cheapest but $399 doesn't look too bad if they're kids really want a PS5. That's if they can get one.

Also doesn't answer the $25 or $35 for a next gen box and 150+ games and xCloud as well.

11 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

So did Sony create the Digital Edition purely for optics and to be able to have the $399.99 headline, while virtually producing almost none of them?

I’m going with optics but to be honest it’s in MS & Sony’s best interest to make as many of the more expensive systems because what ever they make this year will sell out.

Next year will be telling if for Sony the DE was just another 20gb Ps3 so they could claim a lower price for ads.

-edit-

to add DE units pretty much sold out instantly and for Canada I know on other forums people were not happy they couldn’t get that model.

If Sony were smart, they'd start pushing hard for their own version of Xbox Game Pass, and start day and date releasing all their games on PS5 and PC at the same time. They already beat Microsoft in the "closed hardware OS console for your TV" space, now it's time to beat them on PC instead of getting complacent. Those who want a PS5 are gonna buy one regardless of the fact that everything will also be on PC. They should release their full back catalog of all games on Steam/PS Now, etc., and go from there. 

43 minutes ago, nublood said:
ps5dualsense-blogroll-1586549846553.jpg?
WWW.IGN.COM

Sony CEO Jim Ryan says that, after some uncertainty, PS5 will have a larger allocation of units at launch than PS4 did.

Oh really? Bc I was able to pre-order my ps4 with no issue. I didnt have to spend hours dicking around on websites with altered urls that some dude was able to decrypt prior to the units actually going on sale. 

Yes....still salty. 

11 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Oh really? Bc I was able to pre-order my ps4 with no issue. I didnt have to spend hours dicking around on websites with altered urls that some dude was able to decrypt prior to the units actually going on sale. 

Yes....still salty. 

From all the reports I'm reading, a lot of the Gamestops and Best Buys are reporting having like 10-20 units per locations so far.  Could be out in the middle of no where of course, but it does seem things maybe coming in real hot. 

Did they do a staggered launch for PS4, with some countries first then rest of world a week later?

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

If Sony were smart, they'd start pushing hard for their own version of Xbox Game Pass, and start day and date releasing all their games on PS5 and PC at the same time. They already beat Microsoft in the "closed hardware OS console for your TV" space, now it's time to beat them on PC instead of getting complacent. Those who want a PS5 are gonna buy one regardless of the fact that everything will also be on PC. They should release their full back catalog of all games on Steam/PS Now, etc., and go from there. 

I think that is the direction things are going.  I'm not sure it is as easy as throwing a switch.  MS has been working on the back end of Game Pass and Xcloud for a couple years now and things are just starting to come out of Beta now.  Also if Sony started putting its catalog out on the same date for PC it would seriously piss off their fan base.  There are a lot of loyal Sony fans that take a lot of pride in the fact of all the exclusive hits they have sole access to.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, number305 said:

I think that is the direction things are going.  I'm not sure it is as easy as throwing a switch.  MS has been working on the back end of Game Pass and Xcloud for a couple years now and things are just starting to come out of Beta now.  Also if Sony started putting its catalog out on the same date for PC it would seriously piss off their fan base.  There are a lot of loyal Sony fans that take a lot of pride in the fact of all the exclusive hits they have sole access to.  

They might be pissed for awhile, but most of them wouldn't switch to PC or Xbox as a result. They'd just buy a PS5 anyway and whine about how the games industry is changing and exclusives stuck on closed hardware is stupid. Like I said, Sony wouldn't lose any actual business. 

My worry is Sony is actually doing the opposite, and really resisting this. MBL The Show 21 and Horizon coming to PC was a big step forward but given the poor port Horizon got at first and the fact Sony has been very resistant to cross-play for 3rd party games tells me they're slowly leading themselves to making major mistakes down the road.

Not to mention not offering full BC of all systems/games in the Sony ecosystem tells me they're even further behind on what their fans even want, much less the rest of us. I mean, PS3 you might not be able to do, but why is the PS5 not hardware backwards compatible with all PS1 and PS2 games? At this point that should be easy. And PS4, which is now 99% BC . . . probably. Why not run an emulator and put all PSP and PSVita games that are already on the PSN Store and make it work to be played on the PS5 on the TV? They already kind of did it with the PSP/Vita attachment to the PS4. It's simple shit like this that doesn't make sense. As a legacy gamer a lot of this is important to me. All PS1/PS2/PS4/PSP/PSVita games (at least first party games, barring licensing issues) should all be on the PS Store and available to easily and readily be played on the PS5. That covers digital. And all PS5 systems should be hardware backwards compatible with all PS1/PS2/PS4 discs. That covers physical. Boom, done. Moneymaker. Instead Sony's somewhere playing patty cakes.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I'm sure @Emperor Diocletian II appreciates that Sony's nakedly half-assed effort to launch this generation has granted them such a tremendous amount of hype. Literally whipping up a sales frenzy because they can't be bothered to care enough.

I'm very much genuinely impressed by it and wish that I too could turn such low-effort, barely existent inputs into such tremendous financially renumerative outputs!

At this point, Jim Ryan could just appear on-camera, do nothing but burp, and the pre-orders will sell out within 30 seconds.