PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

$50 less for the disc version

Ah. 

anyone seriously looking at the Series S are not going to scratch their chin over spending $150 more for the standard PS5, if they wouldn’t already spend $400 on a disc less PS5. 

if the rumors of PS5s costing Sony $450 per unit, then Sony made the smart move at $500. They can make a bit back per unit, and for at least the first 8 months anyone that wants a PS5 will spend the money. 

I think Sony was wondering how much they could make the PS5 or how MS would make them price. If MS charged $600, then Sony would come in at $550. If MS charged $400, then Sony freaks the fuck out and just takes the hit per unit. 

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Where are all of the concerned tr- I mean- gamers who were worried about the series S holding next gen back? What are their thoughts now that Sony seems fully commited to continuing to support the PS4 with their first party games?

Difference is Sony can and will discontinue releasing ps4 games after the install base grows some. MS can’t do the same for Series S and neither can any developer that wants to support all next gen systems. 

These are some mighty fine apples and oranges but I don’t see the use in comparing them.

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Sure... but if your a console gamer looking to get a next gen console, the series X makes more sense at this point. Freeupgrades for a bunch of games, backwards compat with existing ones, gamepass, game streaming and a more powerful system. Just sayin...

If you're invested in the X-Box library it would make sense to go with the series S or X. I have WAY too many PS 4 games i will be able to play on PS 5 to start over. Also the games I'm most interested in are coming to PS 5.  I highly doubt the two systems will be that much different because they both have features the other doesn't have.

I'm still debating if I want one of these. I don't really because I barely played my PS4, I'm still making my way through the handful of games I bought. I might pre-roder the Digital Ed and just change my mind in the end. I feel like I might be more interested in picking up the system in March instead. 

37 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Where are all of the concerned tr- I mean- gamers who were worried about the series S holding next gen back? What are their thoughts now that Sony seems fully commited to continuing to support the PS4 with their first party games?

Speaking as one of those concerned gamers, exactly the same. As I've said multiple times in the past, the concern isn't the beginning of this new generation because that will be held back by the current one and existing PCs. It's the Xbox S setting an anchor point for the entire generation; as in, to the end of it. Last I checked, most games aren't still being released on PS3 hardware and haven't been for some time.

This is also why my best case scenario is MS lets developers to opt out of supporting Series S. Although that will suck for anyone who purchased it expecting a full console if they do that.

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

Difference is Sony can and will discontinue releasing ps4 games after the install base grows some. MS can’t do the same for Series S and neither can any developer that wants to support all next gen systems. 

These are some mighty fine apples and oranges but I don’t see the use in comparing them.

Sothe series S is the same as the PS4 :confused: For the record I'M not the one making the claim that current gen consoles or even next gen consoles will be holding things back. I'm just trying to follow the logic of those that make those claims... and enjoying watching them twist themselves into pretzels as they try to justify why the series S is bad for next gen but Sony continuing to support the current gen with their big first party exclusives is good. By all means continue.

20 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

If you're invested in the X-Box library it would make sense to go with the series S or X. I have WAY too many PS 4 games i will be able to play on PS 5 to start over. Also the games I'm most interested in are coming to PS 5.  I highly doubt the two systems will be that much different because they both have features the other doesn't have.

I have a ton of PS4 games as well... do we know what their backwards compat plans are? Having to pay for next gen upgrades of existing games is kind of a bummer.

6 minutes ago, legend said:

Speaking as one of those concerned gamers, exactly the same. As I've said multiple times in the past, the concern isn't the beginning of this new generation because that will be held back by the current one and existing PCs. It's the Xbox S setting an anchor point for the entire generation; as in, to the end of it. Last I checked, most games aren't still being released on PS3 hardware and haven't been for some time.

Ah so the Series S= The PS3. Damn not even the Ps4, huh? A whole two generations behind the next gen, huh? got it :daydream:

5 minutes ago, legend said:

This is also why my best case scenario is MS lets developers to opt out of supporting Series S. Although that will suck for anyone who purchased it expecting a full console if they do that.

I don’t expect that, at least not for 4-5 years at the earliest. It’s what at best a 2k machine they can (on paper) do the same effects the X can do. What I would not be surprised is if devs and MS just allow the performance hit where games can’t keep stable frame rates and don’t exceed 1080p. 

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ah so the Series X= The PS3. Damn not even the Ps4, huh? A whole two generations behind the next gen, huh? got it :daydream:

No that wasn't the analogy or claim at all :lol: 

You brought up current gen support holding back next gen. My point is that the current gen only holds back the next gen in the beginning because eventually developers stop making games for the previous gen: just like developers stopped releasing games on PS3 long before the PS4 generation ended. I was in no way equating the series S with a PS3 for gods sake.

I get this feeling that you're not actually trying to understand the concerns people are expressing and are much more interested in just assuming they're trolls.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

You brought up current gen support holding back next gen. My point is that the current gen only holds back the next gen in the beginning because eventually developers stop making games for the previous gen;, just like developers stopped releasing games on PS3 long before the PS4 generation ended.

I get this feeling that you're not actually trying to understand the concerns people are expressing and are much more interested in just assuming they're trolls.

Well apparently I DID coin the phrase "concern troll" so... walter white GIF

On a serious note the "concerns" do seem to be a bit selective  to me and purely based on speculation and I don't really understand them but whatever.

1 minute ago, legend said:

You brought up current gen support holding back next gen. My point is that the current gen only holds back the next gen in the beginning because eventually developers stop making games for the previous gen;, just like developers stopped releasing games on PS3 long before the PS4 generation ended.

This is a Playstation thread so no need to get back into a debate about the Series S.  Developers working with Microsoft's new machine will be the ones to listen to.  We've had developers come out and say its not an issue, and some say it is an issue.  

I'm willing to bet when the full story gets told, people won't be too worried about it.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Well apprently I DID coin the phrase "concern troll" so... walter white GIF

I mean, I do work on cutting edge compute-demanding technology that is increasingly being incorporated into gaming, but if you just want to brush me off as a troll rather than someone who has a relevant perspective on the situation that's your prerogative!

Just now, legend said:

I mean, I do work on cutting edge compute-demanding technology that is increasingly being incorporated into gaming, but if you just want to brush me off as a troll rather than someone who has a relevant perspective on the situation that's your prerogative!

You're a game developer? You're devloping games on these next gen consoles? Because if you are then I will gladly shut the fuck up. 

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

You're a game developer? You're devloping games on these next gen consoles? Because if you are then I will gladly shut the fuck up. 

I work in AI research which is heavily GPU bound and the kind of stuff I work on *is* 100% getting into gaming. I'm not a proper game developer (though I have made my own very small indie games before for whatever that's worth), but what I do do gives me some relevant perspectives. There's more to it than that too, but I can't talk about it right now. If you don't want to trust me on that last part that's fine.

59 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

This has been the most bullshit info dump on both sides of any console generation ever.

I feel like we still basically know very little about how these things work, what the UI is like, etc. 

Can I put a literal PS4 disc in my PS5 and have it work? It seems like it but they have kept it vague enough that I don't fucking know. How about my digital PS4 games? 

I dunno man, the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And to have Keighly now dripping out new info. 

Just, fuck off. 

You are on point with this

If either of these machines could do a reliable 4k 60 I was gonna drop from the PC market as I dont play enough to justify the expense and buy one. But at this point my 2080S may be more powerful then either but they seem hell bent on not showing a god damn thing so hell If I know.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Supposedly Walmart already had Pre-orders up for sale, unless people are photo-shopping copies of confirmed orders.

I just went to walmart.com and they have a thing to click pre order and for me says sold out out of the DE. Not sure if that is a place holder that will be fixed or if they really had pre orders go live and sell out. 

Just now, legend said:

I work in AI research which is heavily GPU bound and the kind of stuff I work on *is* 100% getting into gaming. I'm not a proper game developer (though I have made my own very small indie games before for whatever that's worth), but what I do do gives me some relevant perspectives. There's more to it than that too, but I can't talk about it right now. If you don't want to trust me on that last part that's fine.

Nah I take your word for it. I knew you did something with AI but didn't know exactly what. I wasn't really sure where you were on this Series S thing but like I said, I don't really see any of this tuff holding back the next gen and was really trying to see how this cross gen stuff on the PS5 would play with those folks who thought Halo infinite being on current gen consoles hurt IT as well. If you have inside knowledge on why the Series S is gonna hold back the next gen that isn't based on speculation then please share. I can only go by what I'm reading and a lot of devs are saying it won't :shrug:

Just now, Dodger said:

I just went to walmart.com and they have a thing to click pre order and for me says sold out out of the DE. Not sure if that is a place holder that will be fixed or if they really had pre orders go live and sell out. 

No it was available, maybe by mistake, but it's sold out now.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I don’t expect that, at least not for 4-5 years at the earliest. It’s what at best a 2k machine they can (on paper) do the same effects the X can do. What I would not be surprised is if devs and MS just allow the performance hit where games can’t keep stable frame rates and don’t exceed 1080p. 

Yeah my second best case scenario is the games are allowed to run abysmally on Series S :p 

DualSense™ Wireless Controller (standalone) - US$69.99/¥6,980/€69.99 (RRP)

PULSE 3D™ wireless headset – with 3D audio support and dual noise-cancelling microphones US$99.99/¥9,980/€99.99 (RRP)

HD Camera – with dual 1080p lenses for gamers to broadcast themselves along with their epic gameplay moments US$59.99/¥5,980/€59.99 (RRP)

Media Remote – to navigate movies and streaming services with ease US$29.99/¥2,980/€29.99 (RRP)

DualSense™ Charging Station – to conveniently charge two DualSense Wireless Controllers US$29.99/¥2,980/€29.99 (RRP)

• Thanks 1