PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, heydude93 said:

Oh dang, well played MS!

That joke is awful. It would had made more sense to say that Microsoft is buying up the PolyStation brand and renaming the xbox series X to PolyStation X or PSX for short. :/

Spoiler

For those that don't know. PolyStation is a long series of chinese cheap NES clone consoles sold that look like Playstation systems and rip off the branding. They did one for PS1, PS2 & PS3.

27 minutes ago, chakoo said:

That joke is awful. It would had made more sense to say that Microsoft is buying up the PolyStation brand and renaming the xbox series X to PolyStation X or PSX for short. :/

Hide contents

For those that don't know. PolyStation is a long series of chinese cheap NES clone consoles sold that look like Playstation systems and rip off the branding. They did one for PS1, PS2 & PS3.

Speaking of awful jokes...

• Haha 1

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/12/watch-live-playstation-5-showcase-on-wednesday-september-16/

Looks like we finally get to find out the price and release date on Wednesday.  Well hopefully.  

Before PlayStation 5 launches this holiday, we wanted to give you one more look at some of the great games coming to PS5 at launch (and beyond!).

Our next digital showcase will weigh in at around 40 minutes, and feature updates on the latest titles from Worldwide Studios and our world-class development partners. 

Tune in live on Twitch or YouTube this Wednesday, September 16 at 1pm PDT / 9pm BST / 10pm CEST to see what’s next for PS5.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

$599 because of the SSD magic and the Kraken!

I don't know, PS4 was the more powerful console last gen and came in at $399.  The PS4 Pro was $399.  That is Sony's sweet spot.  I just don't know if I can see them putting out the weaker console this time at the same or higher price.

Jim Ryan has been talking up value about the PS5 so I always assumed $499-599. Now that Microsoft is $499 that will be the PS5 and the PS5D will be $399. This way they can preach that the PS5D is the cheapest, non-gimped next gen console 

$399 for Sony and Japanese exclusives while you play the rest on PC or the X ain’t a bad deal n

7 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Jim Ryan has been talking up value about the PS5 so I always assumed $499-599. Now that Microsoft is $499 that will be the PS5 and the PS5D will be $399. This way they can preach that the PS5D is the cheapest, non-gimped next gen console 

$399 for Sony and Japanese exclusives while you play the rest on PC or the X ain’t a bad deal n

Yeah this sounds about right. They can launch the disc version at exactly the same price. But I don’t know if they’ll go a full $100 cheaper just to remove the drive. Maybe 449? Either way. They’ll be able to market it as the cheapest full power console. The casual market won’t care that the SeX can render 1 more slightly better looking bird on a wire. 

Plus, ya know, PS5 will have more than UBIsoft games to play. Unless you wanna count the THOUSANDS of backwards compatible games which MS would very much like you too 😂😂

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah this sounds about right. They can launch the disc version at exactly the same price. But I don’t know if they’ll go a full $100 cheaper just to remove the drive. Maybe 449? Either way. They’ll be able to market it as the cheapest full power console. The casual market won’t care that the SeX can render 1 more slightly better looking bird on a wire. 

Plus, ya know, PS5 will have more than UBIsoft games to play. Unless you wanna count the THOUSANDS of backwards compatible games which MS would very much like you too 😂😂

Locking all of your purchases to PSN is probably worth the $100 loss up front. You can’t even buy digital codes from Amazon anymore. 

29 minutes ago, number305 said:

I think selling the ps5 for $500 is going to be at a loss for Sony. If they sell the digital version for $100 less it will be selling it for a huge loss. The drive costs about $40 and there are about 8 bucks in license fees. So they aren't saving 100 by removing the drive. 

I think getting someone to buy from your store exclusively is worth taking a large loss up front. $100 will make it more attractive than $50. 

1 hour ago, number305 said:

I think selling the ps5 for $500 is going to be at a loss for Sony. If they sell the digital version for $100 less it will be selling it for a huge loss. The drive costs about $40 and there are about 8 bucks in license fees. So they aren't saving 100 by removing the drive. 

Series S is being sold at a big loss as well allegedly.  The manufacturers make more from digital sales, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they factor that into the hardware pricing.

12 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Something to remember when talking about the two units, the DE model will

most likely have a smaller SSD which will also reduce the cost.

Having a smaller SSD would go against Sony's messaging:

It’s a discless version [of PS5]. It’s important to note that, it’s essentially the same product. You’re not talking about any change to features, or any change to power. It’s the same product, with slight cosmetic differences, and no disc drive. So it’s all digital.

4 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I don't know, PS4 was the more powerful console last gen and came in at $399.  The PS4 Pro was $399.  That is Sony's sweet spot.  I just don't know if I can see them putting out the weaker console this time at the same or higher price.

I don't think Sony is in the financial position to eat that kind of loss per unit this gen. They might bite the bullet and do so anyway, but it's gonna HURT. That proprietary SSD can't be cheap.

I wish FF would go back to a medieval fantasy setting. I don’t know how that would work in terms of continuity with the series. But after FFVII remake, and FFXV, I’m already fatigued of the modern/futuristic setting FF games. But I’ve heard it will be a fantasy setting with steampunk elements. So I guess that would work too.

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

That would be dope. I assume it's whatever Luminous Studios has been doing, even though Hajime Tabata leaving wasn't a good sign. Project Athia/Agni's Philosophy has been in the works forever, I assume that will be what will become FF16. The fact that Square has been making nothing internally for a long while now (all that's out on the horizon now is FF7R Episode II). From a giant studio? It's weird.

11 minutes ago, nublood said:

I wish FF would go back to a medieval fantasy setting. I don’t know how that would work in terms of continuity with the series. But after FFVII remake, and FFXV, I’m already fatigued of the modern/futuristic setting FF games. But I’ve heard it will be a fantasy setting with steampunk elements. So I guess that would work too.

I've been wanting a return to medieval fantasy for years now too, instead of this anime, mecha, future stuff we've seemingly had since FFVII. I don't think continuity would be an issue since there really isn't any continuity with the series other than direct sequels (like X-2, and the XIII trilogy), as each numbered entry is its own thing. I think the MMO FFXIV is medieval fantasy though. 

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I don't think Sony is in the financial position to eat that kind of loss per unit this gen. They might bite the bullet and do so anyway, but it's gonna HURT. That proprietary SSD can't be cheap.

Agreed. Microsoft is selling the series S at a big loss, but I think they are in better financial shape to take the loss. 

3 hours ago, nublood said:

The series doesn't have continuity, every game is self contained.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:16 PM, Greatoneshere said:

FF9, FF11, FF12, and FF14 were all fully medieval settings guys. :p 

And let's face it -- 10 may have been the "future," but there were much less futuristic elements for a lot of areas (Besaid and Kilika at the start, and the look of just about every road in the game).

I always prefer future over medieval.