PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I'd buy all three of those... Godfall is exclusive to Sony for a year right? That's a game I'd rather play on Xbox.

Most believe its a timed exclusive for both Sony and Epic Games Store I believe.

Will have to wait to see impressions on it.  Gameplay looks okay but hard to really judge the game with what we've seen so far.  Also looks incredibly linear, which I'm not sure would be as welcoming these days in a Looter for me.  Avengers hopefully can scratch my loot game itch for awhile, so I can wait for Godfall updates.  Hopefully Godfall supports crossplay/cross progression from PC to consoles.

I still have to played so many of my Souls likes, but Demon Souls at launch would be huge for PS5.  The footage looked fantastic, and the genre and series is so popular.  Still haven't heard much about the Bloodborne PC port that Jason Scheierer reported on once, I figured we might have heard something about it or a 60fps version for PS5.

As of right now I'm probably gonna hold off on a launch PS5, but still unsure.  Launch lineups don't matter as much to me because I have so much I still want and need to play from this gen.  The biggest reason I'd get a PS5 at this point is if their "Boost Mode" for their back compat titles is significant for games like God of War, HZD, Spiderman, ect.  I still need to play those and if they play at double framerates or higher performance, I'd probably upgrade at launch.

Eric Lempel (SIE Head of Global Marketing): "I would say that this is the best line-up that we've ever seen in the history of PlayStation"

The content that will be in the launch window and beyond is incredibly exciting. I would say that this is the best line-up that we've ever seen in the history of PlayStation, between our Worldwide Studios groups and our partners from all the different publishers around the world. We've revealed some of that content, and naturally there will be more to come, but the way that the developers can engage with this platform, and create these new experiences with known IP as well as unknown IP, is incredibly exciting

Launch window means one month? Six months? 

I think you have to account for 3rd party games as well.

Cyberpunk is going to be releasing right at launch, Valhalla, most likely a new CoD, Watch Dogs will be a few weeks old, Marvel Avengers will get a PS5 upgrade, Destiny 2's big content update is around launch window, ect.

Add in whatever Sony has coming from its 1st parties, like Spiderman, the deal for Godfall, and maybe even Demon Souls, I think it's fair to say that's much stronger lineup than PS4's.  I have no idea what PS1/2/3 launched with though.

Xbox claimed they had 50 "New" Games coming this year for Series X.  I know quite a few will be smaller indie projects, but I think thats far larger number than Xbox One launch that had maybe a dozen total?

Well there was a rumor going around that 2 sony published titles were going to be at launch. I hedged my bets on it being Ratchet & Clank since it looked the furthest along but I guess it's actually Demon's Souls. If true I think that might be an even bigger win for those buying a ps5 this year.

Like almost EVERYTHING so far is a red flag saying the first batch is for suckers.  Flashy new memory drive that's unprecedented in gaming.  Ok sounds good on paper, but how will it really do?  Dev testimonials are mostly positive, but how many have there been?  Reports that PS4 games are still being optimized for BC and might never be as optimized as they are for current gen (mostly regarding loading screens though, which isn't too bad if that's the lowest low).  Limited quantity of 5's available to select consumers at first. Hmmm.  Reports of less storage than PS4 Pros (maybe there will be memory cards at some point?). Possibly only one or two PS5 games day one (Most next gen titles shown over summer probably started development on current gen hardware to reach a deadline within a year from November though). 

Obviously there's still a lot we don't know that will roll out closer to launch but is it possible Sony's testing the waters at first to see how the initial wave holds up over a few weeks-months? Even IF there are lots of technical issues at launch, what's everyone going to do?  Act like Playstation still isn't the most in demand next gen console with most of the IPs everyone wants to play? Warranties, patches, re-releases, etc. 

Could be wrong...there shouldn't be too much to worry about, but every scrap of info right now is saying check hype at the door and wait. until. later.  The only potential drawback to waiting is whether or not the later batches and/or Pro versions will still have a disc drive.  If everyone's buying the digital console, not sure why the disc versions wouldn't be left in the dust.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

PS 5 has 825 GB SS storage and has an NVMe slot for owners to manually expand the available storage. Sony officially announced this information it isn't speculation. 

825 is less storage than a Pro. The NVM slots I did not know about.  It's confirmed there will be an option to increase storage via SSDs?  Any word yet on how much each card/drive/whatever will be?  

23 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

I dont believe so since they are banking on the new hardware to help push games.

M2 SSD in a dedicated expansion port, system architect Mark Cerny announced on today's reveal stream

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vg247.com/2020/03/18/ps5-expandable-storage-usb-m2-ssd/amp/

This has been known for awhile.

2 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

You can expand storage via a second M.2 SSD, the only catch is that it has to meet the gen 4 (and speed) standards of the one that’s already in the PS5.

7 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

10 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I am not sure I believe this, I need a 4th post to confirm this.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m baffled by this statement, it’s just an M.2 SSD. People have been gaming on these for years.

It’s always been more about their custom flash controller/IO unit outside of the drive itself, to get into specifics.  But there is some proprietary tech within the SSD designed to better communicate with it: 

And then, Sony needs to validate them to ensure that they will work properly. The PS5 will have an NVMe slot, but drive compatibility will be paramount. It's not just a bandwidth issue either, though clearly that is a factor. PS5's spec delivers six priority levels to developers, while the NVMe spec has just two.

"We can hook up a drive with only two priority levels, definitely, but our custom I/O unit has to arbitrate the extra priorities - rather than the M.2 drive's flash controller - and so the M.2 drive needs a little extra speed to take care of issues arising from the different approach," says Cerny. 

"The [not PS5] M.2 drive will have its own flash controller with its own (invisible) internal interface to its NAND flash dies. We don't know, or need to know, the details of that internal interface, or the size and type of NAND flash attached via that interface," Cerny explains. "What's relevant is the M.2 drive's external interface (eg four lanes of Gen4 PCIe so it can hook up to our flash controller) and the read bandwidth it can support via that interface."

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-specs-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

All this was in the Cerny presentation.  And was in part what LinusTechTips recanted for. 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

It’s always been more about their custom flash controller/IO unit outside of the drive itself, to get into specifics.  But there is some proprietary tech within the SSD designed to better communicate with it: 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-specs-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

All this was in the Cerny presentation.  And was in part what LinusTechTips recanted for. 

I know all this, and I still wouldn’t call it “unprecedented” for gaming. :p