PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

18 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m starting to think some of you guys are in denial about how garbage the launch lineups were for the PS4 and Xbone with this talk of “needing a strong launch lineup” :p 

The only company that needs them is Nintendo.

But they could all come out swinging much stronger if they had one.  I think we’ve become so accustomed to poor launch lineups that we forget competition is supposed to be a thing.

And to think of it, we haven't seen any gameplay really of Sony's only 1st Party launch title.  I think we all know Spiderman will look and play great, but it is their sole 1st party project confirmed for launch, and we've seen next to nothing on it so far.  Why wouldn't they have shown a bit more of it at this past show alongside Godfall?  Highlight the power of PS5 and why it's PS5 only?  Maybe it's still coming as there is another rumored event. 

24 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m starting to think some of you guys are in denial about how garbage the launch lineups were for the PS4 and Xbone with this talk of “needing a strong launch lineup” :p 

I quite enjoyed someone on resetera recently trying to sell everybody on the idea that the PS3 had the worst launch lineup ever. :lol: I think it's telling when of the PS4 lineup the game I would ever consider touching again was Knack (and yeah I do still own a copy of both killzone and knack).

38 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I have it from many insiders that in addition to Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Astro's Playroom, Ratchet, Returnal, Demon's Souls, Horizon (moving up from 2021), Gran Turismo 7, Sackboy, and Destruction AllStars will be there at launch. After that, God of War 2, Silent Hills with VR support, the new San Diego studio game, Days Gone 2, Naughty Dog's new IP, and Sony Manchester's unannounced VR massive first-person RPG are slated for 2021. Ghost of Tsushima 2, Naughty Dog's other new IP, Bloodborne 2, and Shadow of the Colossus 2 with VR support and 50 colossi are aiming for 2022, in addition to PSVR2 and Dreams 4D PSVR2 mode. In 2023, it'll just be Pixelopus' new game while everyone gets ready for 2024.

Geeze Mr. You do sure seem to have a lot of uncles working in the industry. :mthinking:

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

And to think of it, we haven't seen any gameplay really of Sony's only 1st Party launch title.  I think we all know Spiderman will look and play great, but it is their sole 1st party project confirmed for launch, and we've seen next to nothing on it so far.  Why wouldn't they have shown a bit more of it at this past show alongside Godfall?  Highlight the power of PS5 and why it's PS5 only?  Maybe it's still coming as there is another rumored event. 

Technically the game that was used to show off the PS5 was Ratchet & Clank. Spiderman has shown up a few times in early PS5 tech demos but I do think we're due for a follow up even to actually show it in action.

7 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

And to think of it, we haven't seen any gameplay really of Sony's only 1st Party launch title.  I think we all know Spiderman will look and play great, but it is their sole 1st party project confirmed for launch...

Astro's Playroom is a pack-in.

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Astro's Playground is a pack-in.

Is that a legit platformer game? I don't know much about it, I figured it was a short tech demo type thing to mess around in.

Does it do anything to sell the PS5's power that can't be done on the PS4?

10 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Technically the game that was used to show off the PS5 was Ratchet & Clank. Spiderman has shown up a few times in early PS5 tech demos but I do think we're due for a follow up even to actually show it in action.

Yeah Ratchet had the lengthy gameplay demo with some of the SSD stuff shown off.  But as far as we know, it's not a launch title.  I don't think they gave any window for launch for that yet.

Spiderman is a few months away, so I figured we may be seeing some gameplay soon for their big system seller.  What will the 60fps mode look like?

I feel like given how close to launch we are getting, both consoles haven't really laid out clearly what is coming around launch yet.  MS did say 60 new titles being made for XSX coming out this year.

But given Covid, things really are probably really tough for developers to coordinate and put together these things.  

Just hope both consoles can deliver solid launches that go off well.

8 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Is that a legit platformer game? I don't know much about it, I figured it was a short tech demo type thing to mess around in.

Does it do anything to sell the PS5's power that can't be done on the PS4?

It's supposed to sell the controller's features.  It's a sequel to the VR game, but it's anyone's guess how long it will be.

By appearances, it looks to be as much of a full game as Sackboy.

9 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah Ratchet had the lengthy gameplay demo with some of the SSD stuff shown off.  But as far as we know, it's not a launch title.  I don't think they gave any window for launch for that yet.

They didn't give a date or a range at all but it was by far one of the most complete 1st party games they showed off during that event. Sony's done this before where they don't say anything when they're not sure if a game hasn't nailed down if it's a launch game, launch window or follow up title. I'm sure we'll get clarification at the next event.

8 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Ah, I remember seeing gifs of Geoff blowing into the conttroller.  I think it was from this game right.

Yeah he was playing Astro's Playroom. He even showed off video of him playing the game. Astro Bot was a pretty big hit for PSVR but it's anybody's guess if Astro's Playroom will actually mean anything to anybody this year. 

56 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

PS4: Knack, Resogun, and Contrast 

XBO: Dead Rising 3 and Killer Instinct

I had fun with the games at launch

:shrug:

Same. For me, it was a ton of Resogun and Assassin's Creed at launch. And Resogun ended up being one of my favs in general, especially with the fantastic DLC that came out for it. There were plenty of fun games, and well... I guess they were system sellers because shit, everyone was making excuses as to how those consoles could sell so quickly since nobody was supposed to buy consoles anymore. :p 

No Halo/Mario 64 killer apps, sure. But there wasn't really a shortage for me to play.

BF4 was a big game for me at launch on Xbox.  BF4 was shit at launch though, with terrible rubber banding for at least a month or two.  Loved the gameplay in that though.

CoD Ghosts was really meh.  Assassins Creed Blackflag was really good.  I had fun at launch for sure with the XB1.  I do remember how broken the party system was at launch though too.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

We’re in COVID times. There’s no way Horizon 2 is moving ahead of schedule to this year.

I know but going by their average development time they should have had a game ready by February 2020 at the latest. But I agree with you.

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I’d be surprised if either make it out this year.

Again, they should be but all bets are sort of off if one goes by conventional rules/methods, so I do ultimately agree with you.

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

@JPDunks4 no launch lineup, date, and price while being 3 months out. Crazy 

Yep, this, basically. 

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Isn't that one of the easiest games to get all of the achievements in?

Most early games were. I mean you could get madden ones pretty easily, they even pop if you simulate the season.

Not a launch game but you could get every achievement in this game in like 5 minutes

spacer.png

Edit: I was too generous. Less than 3 minutes :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Most early games were. I mean you could get madden ones pretty easily, they even pop if you simulate the season.

Not a launch game but you could get every achievement in this game in like 5 minutes

I remember in NBA 2k6 there was only 5 achievements and each one gave you 200 points.

Some(most?) devs had no fucking clue what MS was aiming for when it came to acheivements. 

Geo Wars 2, only the other hand, had an awesome set of acheivements. Took me years to finally get "Survive to a million". Still one of my proudest acheivements/trophies.

50 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I wish I could turn my Gamerscore off or make it private.

All it serves is my casual friends make fun of me and call me a nerd when they see I'm over 100k.

That just means you've been doing it a long time.

Also, NERD! I'm slightly at half of what you have. :p

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well Xbox Achievements

• Have a better sound
  • Also have a rarity (no medal tier)
  • Give you sweet art for the background to your Xbone.

Trophies have a rarity score. I still agree achievements are better, just pointing out you can check to see how rare each trophy is.