PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Until gamers stop trying to justify price increases publishers will continue to see how much they can charge. If every launch game bombed at $70 maybe they would rethink the price point.

If every launch game bombed at $70, it wouldn't be because of the price point.

It's also been 15 years since the last increase. It's justified.

If next-gen games went up with inflation from 2005, they should actually cost $78 today.  We're getting that $70 price tag as a compromise.  Special editions and DLC make up the difference, as they did this generation.

It inflates used game and sale prices too.  So if you really want to fight it, buy only into subscriptions.  Just don't be surprised when rate hikes there come more frequently than a decade+.

• The def star changed the title to PlayStation 5 (12 November 2020) - Information Thread, PS5 Unboxing

Hopefully the controller stuff is something that is actually supported long term.

I admittingly haven't used my PS4 a ton, but I played GoT and LoU2, and the touch pad and controller speaker didn't add anything to the experience for either game.

It always feels like the start of the gen these things are hyped up and everyone's excited about it, but after a few years they are an afterthought no one really cares about.

I have a Switch and can't tell you one game that I've played that even uses any of the Joy Cons features that were so heavily hyped pre launch.  The Xbox Rumble Triggers I think were used in racing games and can't really remember any other real use that stood out.

A lot of friends I play games with, immediately turn off all rumble on their controllers for PvP games, and I'd imagine something more intrusive will be even more hated by those types of gamers.  Hopefully its something you can turn off.

Weren't all the jokes over the last few months how the Series X was like this giant monolith while the PS5 was a weird kinda big alien space ship?  Cause that fucker is enormous. Jesus. Where am I gonna put that? I usually just stick consoles on top of my PC tower, but I might have to switch that around for this thing.

39 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Like Dirt 5, it's nothing too impressive.  But hey, another launch title confirmed.

I feel bad for some of these development teams putting out their videos showing their games running on the new hardware. 

The Dirt developers were being attacked and insulted non stop on social media over the Dirt 5 coverage on the XSX, because it wasn't "Next Gen" enough.  That it didn't look that good, people taking screen grabs of 120fps gameplay and trying to show how bad the game looks, and how crappy Xbox is.  It was just sad to see.

I'm sure now people will be grabbing this footage to try to prove some claim about how shitty the PS5 is.

Add on top of it how crappy Youtube compression can be on some footage too, these fast moving racing games don't show very well at all at times.

22 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

I feel bad for some of these development teams putting out their videos showing their games running on the new hardware. 

The Dirt developers were being attacked and insulted non stop on social media over the Dirt 5 coverage on the XSX, because it wasn't "Next Gen" enough.  That it didn't look that good, people taking screen grabs of 120fps gameplay and trying to show how bad the game looks, and how crappy Xbox is.  It was just sad to see.

I'm sure now people will be grabbing this footage to try to prove some claim about how shitty the PS5 is.

Add on top of it how crappy Youtube compression can be on some footage too, these fast moving racing games don't show very well at all at times.

The larger reality is that they don't look great by current gen standards.  I'd rather have a better looking game, in general, than have a 120fps mode marketed to me as an exciting trade-off.  Which, to be fair, the Dirt 5 team has leaned into from the beginning.  They're getting shit because of how vocal they've been about making, in their mind, the right compromises.  Under their constraints, they could very well be right about that.

I don't expect racing games to look fantastic at launch anyways.  Unless there was 1st party money behind them.  So it's water under the bridge.

7 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The larger reality is that they don't look great by current gen standards.  I'd rather have a better looking game, in general, than have a 120fps mode marketed to me as an exciting trade-off.  Which, to be fair, the Dirt 5 team has leaned into from the beginning.  They're getting shit because of how vocal they've been about making, in their mind, the right compromises.  Under their constraints, they could very well be right about that.

I don't expect racing games to look fantastic at launch anyways.  Unless there was 1st party money behind them.  So it's water under the bridge.

120 fps is huge for people who are big into racing games.  Reducing lag/latency are key to improving lap times, and getting better at the racing.  But most of the people being critical aren't actually into racing games, and just want to see pretty graphics.

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

120 fps is huge for people who are big into racing games.  Reducing lag/latency are key to improving lap times, and getting better at the racing.  But most of the people being critical aren't actually into racing games, and just want to see pretty graphics.

All is true.  But wouldn't that argument hold up better for the Dirt Rally games, which are more sim-oriented?

Saw your notification as well.  Yes, Destruction All Stars is no longer slated as a launch retail release.  Things changed, but I was going off with what was announced at the time.  It's what we knew.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

All is true.  But wouldn't that argument hold up better for the Dirt Rally games, which are more sim-oriented?

Saw your notification as well.  Yes, Destruction All Stars is no longer slated as a launch retail release.  Things changed, but I was going off with what was announced at the time.  It's what we knew.

Yes.  It's probably even more important on Dirt Rally than Dirt.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Just to note, that was only with the pro/premium/whatever it’s called model, not all WiiU models.

It’s not like the 8gb model sold that well to begin with and was in smaller quantities (the non prem 32gb model). That’s how I got mine when retailers fire sold the units right before they were discontinued. :)