PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

Not every publisher releases data on packaged games vs. digital split.

However, for EA (the first one that I found that split out the data) -- FY19 revenue for full game downloads was $680M, while packaged goods was $1,240M.  (This is of course dwarfed by their digital revenue for "live services" -- for things like FIFA card packs).  This split is a huge change from a few years ago, but still shows that a significant portion of games are still sold on disc to the mainstream, or there are a lot of hipsters playing video games.

16 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I really think you're exaggerating a tad and that's why people are poking at you. It's a little much. 

Oh yea.  I'm exaggerating a ton.  (I'm the one doing the poking)  I don't buy physical games... but I really don't care what others do.

56 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I really think you're exaggerating a tad and that's why people are poking at you. It's a little much. 

The offense he takes to people using physical media is ironic, I did notice lol. I don't really get why he's having so much trouble with this and why he's so frazzled over nothing.

On 10/8/2019 at 5:47 PM, IdeaOfEvil said:

I was really hoping that the early rumors of the PS5 being backwards compatible with every former Playstation game disc would come true =( I still have all of my old PSx, PS2, PS3, and now Ps4 games, and it looks like I'm going to have to invest in one of those PS3 Test consoles to get what I want...

Yeah I was hoping the same thing and was disappointed to find out it wasn't. 

I buy both digital and physical media... it really depends on the deals being offered. Best Buy and Amazon routinely offer day one deals on physical copies of games but not the digital version so I'll go with those when the deals are there. It's really a practical matter and nothing to do with being a "hipster". I'm far from being a hipster and despise them with the intensity of a million supernovas.

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I buy both digital and physical media... it really depends on the deals being offered. Best Buy and Amazon routinely offer day one deals on physical copies of games but not the digital version so I'll go with those when the deals are there. It's really a practical matter and nothing to do with being a "hipster". I'm far from being a hipster and despise them with the intensity of a million supernovas.

Preeety sure I have seen you with a typewriter at the coffee shop.

I was mildly trolling... I thought obviously.  But oh well. 

10 minutes ago, number305 said:

Preeety sure I have seen you with a typewriter at the coffee shop.

I was mildly trolling... I thought obviously.  But oh well. 

Yeah, picking that thing up and smashing it to the floor and then pouring the poor sap who it belong to's pumpkin spice latte all over the debris. Yup that was me.

• Haha 1

How about we bother to look up some numbers?

While digital distribution is now clearly dominating game sales as a whole (83% digital last year), it's far less true for consoles. It was only in the first quarter of this year that Sony said that digital downloads barely outpaced physical retail sales.

Compared to music, LPs accounted for 4.3% and CDs captured 7.1% of music revenue last year.

So yeah, when around half your customers are currently buying physical media, even if that number ends up in the single digits by the end of the generation, you have to start with a physical drive.

I imagine that I'm in a small minority, but I'm happy that the PS5 will play 4K Blu Rays. I don't buy nearly as many films as I used to, but when I do I try to buy them in the highest quality available.

lol @ the hopeless souls legit expecting 4k/60 as any sort of norm. What crackhead timeline have you been on to expect that at all? Games this gen are rarely true 4k/30, they lock in neither the frame rate nor the resolution. Even the Ratchet and Clank devs gave up on 60 (and good writing) and were praised for it. Window lickers love bells and whistles, no matter the cost.

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

lol @ the hopeless souls legit expecting 4k/60 as any sort of norm. What crackhead timeline have you been on to expect that at all? Games this gen are rarely true 4k/30, they lock in neither the frame rate nor the resolution. Even the Ratchet and Clank devs gave up on 60 (and good writing) and were praised for it. Window lickers love bells and whistles, no matter the cost.

spacer.png

I can wait...

3 hours ago, TwinIon said:

How about we bother to look up some numbers?

While digital distribution is now clearly dominating game sales as a whole (83% digital last year), it's far less true for consoles. It was only in the first quarter of this year that Sony said that digital downloads barely outpaced physical retail sales.

Compared to music, LPs accounted for 4.3% and CDs captured 7.1% of music revenue last year.

So yeah, when around half your customers are currently buying physical media, even if that number ends up in the single digits by the end of the generation, you have to start with a physical drive.

I imagine that I'm in a small minority, but I'm happy that the PS5 will play 4K Blu Rays. I don't buy nearly as many films as I used to, but when I do I try to buy them in the highest quality available.

This too. I was just on Hi-Def Digest last night looking up UHD discs that I plan on buying on Black Friday.

4 hours ago, nublood said:

I like the look and feel of the physical copy of a game. I'm guess I'm old school like that. I do have quite a bit of digital games too though. I'd say my library is 70/30 physical vs digital. But I haven't bought a physical copy of a movie since maybe 2012.

There used to be a look and feel, now physical is just a disc in a box. You barely even get an instruction book these days.

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There used to be a look and feel, now physical is just a disc in a box. You barely even get an instruction book these days.

That's probably why I'm beginning to invest in modifying my old consoles, because I like displaying them with the older games that all look great when on a shelf. The games that I buy on Steam or GoG or Epic Games don't have "lasting power" with me because I tend to uninstall stuff once I've beat them and forget about them. I even have older strategy guides that I'm more enamored with than current gen games because I can hold the guides and look at the cool artwork and in game screenshots =)

27 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

That's probably why I'm beginning to invest in modifying my old consoles, because I like displaying them with the older games that all look great when on a shelf. The games that I buy on Steam or GoG or Epic Games don't have "lasting power" with me because I tend to uninstall stuff once I've beat them and forget about them. I even have older strategy guides that I'm more enamored with than current gen games because I can hold the guides and look at the cool artwork and in game screenshots =)

I've gotten into the habit of ordering the hardcover strategy guides for bigger, meatier games. Some of them are really well produced and look good on my bookshelf. Dark Souls and The Witcher 3 are two that stand out.

• 2 months later...

Some little tidbits from the Godfall developer:

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/12/12/godfall-ps5-tech-controller-world-gameplay-keith-lee-interview/

PSLS: WHAT UNIQUE BENEFITS ARE YOU GETTING BY DEVELOPING GODFALL ON NEXT-GENERATION HARDWARE? WHY MAKE IT A PS5 EXCLUSIVE RATHER THAN A CROSS-GEN RELEASE WITH PS4?

KEITH LEE: The exceptionally powerful SSD on the PlayStation 5 offers a new level of detail for each individual object as well as seamless loading of our expansiveness world. Our combat is kinesthetic in nature, so the new controller’s “adaptive triggers” and haptic feedback will make moment-to-moment combat feel exhilarating and visceral.

2 hours ago, Rodimus said:

Well less loading or fast enough to hide the loading and preventing stuttering will improve visuals.

It'll certainly smooth out the experience and reduce a bottleneck.  Neither of which necessarily come across in a trailer like Godfall's (or Hellblade 2 for that matter).

Think it's going to take the right developer, right project, and probably something in the form of live demo.

7 minutes ago, Duderino said:

It'll certainly smooth out the experience and reduce a bottleneck.  Neither of which necessarily come across in a trailer like Godfall's (or Hellblade 2 for that matter).

Think it's going to take the right developer, right project, and probably something in the form of live demo.

I thought the spider-man demo was impressive.