Official Xbox Backwards Compatibility Thread

skillzdadirecta

Sad to hear about BC being finished for now. I'm still not 100% why licensing would matter for, say, making games physically backwards compatible on the original print and was hoping more original Xbox games would make the cut since that was lacking compared to 360 and XBO.

Still the best BC so far. I've been loving buying new PS4 releases and playing them on PS5 (makes me forget that some of them didn't get a PS5 release) and want Sony to follow up. Nintendo, I don't know how they'd manage physically since they've had a billion different physical mediums.

32 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Sad to hear about BC being finished for now. I'm still not 100% why licensing would matter for, say, making games physically backwards compatible on the original print and was hoping more original Xbox games would make the cut since that was lacking compared to 360 and XBO.

I think a lot of it has to do with how licensing agreements were made when publishing games back in the day. Somewhere a long the lines that when a game was published it was only for that specific hardware architecture. Which is why MS has to work with developers or publishers, because they use emulation, to get approval to allow games to be played on hardware it wasn't originally published on. I think this is how Sony got away with it on PS2 and PS3 by having previous console hardware built inside in early machines. I'm sure MS could put in the work to make all games play on the new console but it's something developers or publishers didn't originally agree to and can open up the door for legal ramifications.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The def star said:

I think a lot of it has to do with how licensing agreements were made when publishing games back in the day. Somewhere a long the lines that when a game was published it was only for that specific hardware architecture. Which is why MS has to work with developers or publishers, because they use emulation, to get approval to allow games to be played on hardware it wasn't originally published on. I think this is how Sony got away with it on PS2 and PS3 by having previous console hardware built inside in early machines. I'm sure MS could put in the work to make all games play on the new console but it's something developers or publishers didn't originally agree to and can open up the door for legal ramifications.

Reading more, looks like you're 100% right. I thought they somehow were able to use firmware updates to allow certain games to be played, but it looks like the disc is authentication and they're using emulation, which is why, since it's not the original print, they can't just make everything BC. Which is still cool and gets the job done for what is possible.

Time for me to drive to Jim Ryan's house so everyone can get every damn thing. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Great video...I never played Mirror's Edge or the original Ass. Creed. Well i never beat thm. Looking forward to checking those out. Here's a complete list of Boosted games

xbox-fps-boost-lead.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S pack a new FPS Boost tool, doubling or quadrupling framerates for your favorite games. Here’s every Xbox game with FPS Boost support, coupled with what you need to know about the feature.

120 fps for Mad Max:o

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I've heard from quite a few people that Mad Max was actually pretty good. It's been sitting on my hard drive for about two years now. I'll get to it eventually.

It is good. Yet another game that got written off prematurely and unfairly by hack "critics" and their acolytes who assumed it was a bland movie tie in. Solid hand to hand combat and great vehicle sections highlight this gem of a game.