~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

The theater industry is in outright collapse. I saw a guy post his complete theater set up (projection and audio) for $5k per auditorium. And it’s not going to sell. No market for this stuff. So theaters close permanently and they can’t even liquidate their assets. The zoom calls I’m getting on with NATO and regional groups are so grim these days.

This all coming off a 2019 That was a banner year for nearly everybody in exhibition is hard to comprehend.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The theater industry is in outright collapse. I saw a guy post his complete theater set up (projection and audio) for $5k per auditorium. And it’s not going to sell. No market for this stuff. So theaters close permanently and they can’t even liquidate their assets. The zoom calls I’m getting on with NATO and regional groups are so grim these days.

This all coming off a 2019 That was a banner year for nearly everybody in exhibition is hard to comprehend.

It'll be so easy to just reopen the economy like nothing happened after letting all the businesses go bust though.

Small Businesses Are Dying by the Thousands — And No One Is Tracking the Carnage (Washington Post)

Big companies are going bankrupt at a record pace, but that’s only part of the carnage. By some accounts, small businesses are disappearing by the thousands amid the Covid-19 pandemic, and the drag on the economy from these failures could be huge.

This wave of silent failures goes uncounted in part because real-time data on small business is notoriously scarce, and because owners of small firms often have no debt, and thus no need for bankruptcy court.

“Probably all you need to do is call the utilities and tell them to turn them off and close your door,” said William Dunkelberg, who runs a monthly survey as chief economist for the National Federation of Independent Business. Nevertheless, closures “are going to be well above normal because we’re in a disastrous economic situation,” Dunkelberg said.

9 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Dude, I half expect there won't be a country by the end of the year.

Time for Canadians to pinch our nickels (since we got rid of the penny) and make an offer to Trump in buying out the states. Canada should try buying that winter getaway 

44 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Time for Canadians to pinch our nickels (since we got rid of the penny) and make an offer to Trump in buying out the states. Canada should try buying that winter getaway 

Can I sell you the US for free if we go back to the WW2 era Canadian flag? I'll accept a tea set, bed set, flag, and pj versions as a substitute?

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canada will accept the western halves of Washington and Oregon, to be merged into a single state of Cascadia (not BC, though). We can't take California because it would overwhelm our existing political system.

Dog Please GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canada will accept the western halves of Washington and Oregon, to be merged into a single state of Cascadia (not BC, though). We can't take California because it would overwhelm our existing political system.

Take NJ and we’ll teach you how to make non-garbage pizza, good Italian food, disco fries, bagels that aren’t just rolls with holes in the middle, and you’ll learn the secret for how fat, greasy haired men with excessive body hair can score attractive significant others. You also get Bruce Springsteen, Jon Stewart, and Frank Sinatra - we will personally excommunicate Bon Jovi so we can meet your standards. As a bonus you also receive Pork Roll to be sold alongside your round bacon.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Take NJ and we’ll teach you how to make non-garbage pizza, good Italian food, disco fries, bagels that aren’t just rolls with holes in the middle, and you’ll learn the secret for how fat, greasy haired men with excessive body hair can score attractive significant others. You also get Bruce Springsteen, Jon Stewart, and Frank Sinatra - we will personally excommunicate Bon Jovi so we can meet your standards. As a bonus you also receive Pork Roll to be sold alongside your round bacon.

We got nice tomatoes, too.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I have recently switched over to this bagel store in Hawthorne for my breakfast so good. I am a simple man so just egg and cheese for me.

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Never really tried it. 

Me neither lol. We got into this discussion a year ago where all my friends were shocked I had never tried it, even though it's not really that ubiquitous or talked about in NJ as people think it is.

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

Lots of yucking it up in the comments about how people can have a nicer car but still be food insecure. Both of these things can be true! But we don't know all the circumstances so the safety net should be available to everyone no matter what their apparent circumstance, even if someone is "unworthy" of help

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Lots of yucking it up in the comments about how people can have a nicer car but still be food insecure. Both of these things can be true! But we don't know all the circumstances so the safety net should be available to everyone no matter what their apparent circumstance, even if someone is "unworthy" of help

We’ve been doing some screenings for Houston Food Bank employees and the scale of the need is staggering. Our contact there said they are doing 5x their normal distribution right now.

13 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

And they sit there dutifully taking notes instead of saying right to his face, "You really have no goddamned idea, do you?"

Pathetic little lap dogs, the lot of them.

Would it matter?  Conservatives take 'fact-checking' of Trump as an assertion of political bias by the 'liberal mainstream media' on principle, and moderates already know that Trump is full of it. (if they're persuaded to support him it's not because he's 'honest')  More and more people get all their news from Facebook and Twitter anyway.

We're in a world where there are, with precious few exceptions, no consequences for just making stuff up as you go along.  I think both Trump and the media know that, and the latter probably thinks there really isn't any point (or profit) in fighting it.  Journalistic integrity doesn't get you cited on social media--stoking the (mostly negative) emotions of the right constituencies does.

What do you do when it's less profitable for news organizations to be a guard dog for the general public than a lap dog of the right constituency?:confused:

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Would it matter?  Conservatives take 'fact-checking' of Trump as an assertion of political bias by the 'liberal mainstream media' on principle, and moderates already know that Trump is full of it. (if they're persuaded to support him it's not because he's 'honest')  More and more people get all their news from Facebook and Twitter anyway.

We're in a world where there are, with precious few exceptions, no consequences for just making stuff up as you go along.  I think both Trump and the media know that, and the latter probably thinks there really isn't any point (or profit) in fighting it.  Journalistic integrity doesn't get you cited on social media--stoking the (mostly negative) emotions of the right constituencies does.

What do you do when it's less profitable for news organizations to be a guard dog for the general public than a lap dog of the right constituency?:confused:

Not that I think it would fly in the US, but in Canada the federal government is now subsidizing media across the country to help keep it alive to avoid this exact scenario. There are some questions about the method of subsidy, but overall I think it's a good move for democracy. Plus there is already the CBC (tax-payer funded TV, radio, and internet news source), which is a good news source both locally and nationally.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Not that I think it would fly in the US, but in Canada the federal government is now subsidizing media across the country to help keep it alive to avoid this exact scenario. There are some questions about the method of subsidy, but overall I think it's a good move for democracy. Plus there is already the CBC (tax-payer funded TV, radio, and internet news source), which is a good news source both locally and nationally.

get out GIF

• Haha 1