~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

11 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

Are you the villain in this movie? Because I'd believe that.

Would also believe you're the hero though.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

That first sentence makes you sound like a faux texan. :duckhuntdog:

Ha, they just added the bio and photo, I guess. it was just my name earlier and the "self" credit for the show!

12 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

What the hell is a self-described Texan?

I’m trying to think what I said, but I think it had to do with my family all being from Texas on both sides going back 100+ years, and that my Dad will claim he always feels a little sick when he’s not standing on Texas soil. We are very Texan, for sure.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My guess: the protests continue for a few more days or a week, all the officers (in George Loyd case) will be charged, and then this will fizzle out in the public's attention and nothing major will change.

I hope I am wrong.

I dunno, the cops seem to be having too much of a good committing domestic terrorism to let this fizzle out.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

My guess: the protests continue for a few more days or a week, all the officers (in George Loyd case) will be charged, and then this will fizzle out in the public's attention and nothing major will change.

I hope I am wrong.

I mean it's not like people have jobs to go back to. Social order is best maintained with damn near full employment, even as flawed as our capitalist economy is. Our problem is that our capitalist economy is now falling apart and no one seems to be willing to do what is needed to stop the fall. Even the rosiest projections (that I've seen anyway, and for what they're worth at this point) have 12% unemployment in December, and this disproportionately falls on low income citizens of color.

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I hope I am wrong.

Main offender upgraded to 2nd degree murder and the other 3 will be charged with aiding and abetting murder.  I keep seeing nothing will change but it already has, American citizens forced police to flee burned down a precinct and America basically said, "well they kinda had it coming" lol.

https://www.startribune.com/ellison-expected-to-provide-update-on-george-floyd-investigation/570984872/

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean it's not like people have jobs to go back to. Social order is best maintained with damn near full employment, even as flawed as our capitalist economy is. Our problem is that our capitalist economy is now falling apart and no one seems to be willing to do what is needed to stop the fall. Even the rosiest projections (that I've seen anyway, and for what they're worth at this point) have 12% unemployment in December, and this disproportionately falls on low income citizens of color.

True. Trying access to healthcare to your job especially helps keep people gunshy about protesting, but if you've already lost your job...

‘The Covid-19 recession is over,’ says economist Zandi as May job losses not as bad as feared (CNBC)

ADP reported Wednesday that companies shed another 2.76 million positions last month. Under normal circumstances, such a report would be considered catastrophic. But these aren’t normal times.

Instead, a count that was well below the 8.75 million estimate provided hope that the most severe jobs crisis in U.S. history is about to turn around as an economy battered by the coronavirus pandemic takes its first steps to reopening.

“The good news is I think the recession is over, the Covid-19 recession is over, barring another second wave, a major second wave, or real serious policy errors,” said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics, which puts the private payrolls report together with ADP. The bad news, he added, is that “the recovery will be a slog until there’s a vaccine or therapy that’s distributed and adopted widely.”

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

What a fucking terrible way to characterize it.

At best, the absolute low point of the recession is over.

I would say we're still in the middle of the "short term" recession that was catastrophic. And even when/if the economy bounces back due to the admittedly unique circumstances of this recession, we have no idea what the long term negative effects will be but most seem to be underestimating them because they're still worried about the short term effects.

45 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

What a fucking terrible way to characterize it.

If we have economic growth, the recession is over. That’s just what those words mean.

A Tale of Two Realities:

Jobless claims, total unemployment level worse than expected (CNBC)

Filings for unemployment insurance claims totaled 1.877 million last week in a sign that the worst is over for the coronavirus-related jobs crisis but that the level of unemployment remains stubbornly high.

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for 1.775 million new claims. The Labor Department’s total nevertheless represented a decline from the previous week’s upwardly revised total of 2.126 million. Filings under the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program totaled 623,073.

Nasdaq-100 index hits record high, erasing losses from coronavirus pandemic (CNBC)

The Nasdaq-100 index rose to a record high on Thursday, becoming the first major U.S. stock index to fully erase its losses from the coronavirus pandemic sell-off.

The index, which is made up of the 100-largest nonfinancial stocks in the Nasdaq Composite, traded 0.3% higher. Shares of eBay and United Airlines were among the best performers in the Nasdaq 100, gaining 6.2% and 4.1%, respectively. Amazon, Tesla, Netflix and Costco — shares that have led the index’s run back to record levels — also traded higher.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

It might not be two different tales, DOW, S&P 500, and Nasdaq-100 are all large cap stocks and generally are companies that are doing well right now. It is the small and midsize businesses that are getting murdered and as these smaller companies fold the big boys will just get bigger.