~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

From what I've read, Feinstein and Inhofe were pretty much in the clear legally if not morally. Loeffler on the other hand was more questionable, but her husband is pretty powerful Burr is fucked though.

Didn't Feinstein lose money on the stuff she sold? I don't see how you really build an insider trading case when the accusation is that she used her insider information to lose money.

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

From what I've read, Feinstein and Inhofe were pretty much in the clear legally if not morally. Loeffler on the other hand was more questionable, but her husband is pretty powerful Burr is fucked though.

Yeah that's exactly it though. His sin was being very lightly, ever so gently for a not hackish investigation into the Russia thing. That's worse than being a Democrat

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Didn't Feinstein lose money on the stuff she sold? I don't see how you really build an insider trading case when the accusation is that she used her insider information to lose money.

It is my understanding that insider trading doesn’t require a particular outcome, only that you made moves based on information not available to the public. It is just that we don’t typically punish people who make bad trades with insider information because they’ve been punished enough :p

28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Makes complete sense. Have a kid, with daycares and schools closed, you have to have at least one parent who can do parenting. If that means you're out of a job, that's just the shit country we live in.

Yeah, my company has been kind enough to understand there may be a small drop in productivity due to having to split time with taking care if the kids. My wife hasn't been nearly as easy. She's been moved to telehealth work and she's expected to 100% dedicate herself to 3-5 hours of uninterrupted video work. If I were stuck going into the office, one of us would be out of a job.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:42 AM, CitizenVectron said:

This is all about the ‘comeback’ narrative.  The Atlanta Fed estimates a *40%* contraction in GDP.

However, the stock market is sensing a recovery—it’s showing up not just in the S&P alone, but in more reliable indicators like the relative performance of the Russel 2000 small cap index vs the S&P.

IMO, This means we’re likely to see a big ‘bounce back’ number in Q3, like maybe along the lines of 20-30%.  It’ll be hailed as a ‘record’ performance by Trump, even though it won’t even recover all the ground that was lost—and I won’t be surprised if people buy the hype.

Don't worry "Main street" sized businesses with UP TO 15,000 employees, and UNDER 5 billion in revenue, you're about to be SAVED!!!!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/29/powell-says-the-fed-is-days-away-from-making-the-first-loans-in-the-main-street-lending-facility.html

Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said the central bank’s long-awaited program to lend to small- and medium-sized businesses is about to get off the ground.

The Main Street lending facility, which will target companies with up to 15,000 employees, is likely “days away” from making its first loan, Powell told Princeton University economist and former Fed official Alan Blinder in a webinar interview Friday.

• Guillotine 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/26/2020 at 7:09 PM, Jason said:

Just because you’re not good at a crime, doesn’t mean you didn’t commit one. 

15 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yup. They should have done PPP as a non payroll thing and let all employees get access to UEBs to cover whatever shortfall in wages they had. PPP should have been for operating expenses besides payroll. Really dumb policy.

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Must be nice to know you won't even be looked into:

This must tie into an article I think posted here that says its easier for the IRS to get money out of other classes since they don't really have the resources to fight them.

St Louis Fed Economist: Negative interest rates could be needed for a ‘V’ recovery

Getting the U.S. economy back to strong growth could require negative interest rates, according to a St. Louis Federal Reserve economist.

As many economists dismiss the likelihood of the current record-breaking slump being followed by an equally aggressive recovery, central bank economist Yi Wen said in a paper on the St. Louis Fed’s website that achieving that kind of a rebound is necessary and possible.

The key, he said, is using aggressive stimulus even beyond what authorities deployed during the financial crisis, and that could include taking interest rates below zero.