~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

3 hours ago, Dodger said:

You're very clever Jose. You guys make it sound like we just need to go a few months without ice cream and people are complaining about that. Maybe you guys were lucky but I remember the great recession. I remember I didn't put I had a college degree on low paying office jobs because I thought that would make them think i would bolt "for a real job" the second I could, then I had a couple places ask me about my education because they told me they had people with masters degrees applying, for jobs that paid $12 an hour. I remember being in my late 20's and being so desperate for a job I was applying at fast food and retail places  with a college degree because I couldn't find anything. 

I have no desire to ever live through that again. So fuck you and Jason and you're stupid jokes that I just want shitty food and Best Buy. Too bad you two aren't gay, you'd be perfect for each other. 

A lot of us had it rough in 2007... things got so bad for me in NY that year that I left. I moved to in early 2008 because my industry was decimated in NY. I would have never in 1000 years would have thought I would leave NY for LA but I had to because work just dried up. I moved to LA and essentially started over. I don't want to go back to those days either but I also remember how we got there. Eight years of Republicans "Pro-business" policies is what got us there and thank GOD Bush wasn't able to privatize social security like he wanted to because as bad as the crash was, it would have been WORSE. You're anxious to get shit open again, I hear you... but rushing to reopen things can make things WORSE and prolong the economic damage. That's what people are missing here.  The "pro-open" business interests don't give a FUCK about you or your wellbeing and are using your anxiety about the economy to fuel THEIR interests. Why? Because they know they are going to be fine regardless. 

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/05/02/excess-deaths-during-covid-19/

The analysis stopped when the recorded number of confirmed or suspected covid deaths was "only" about 20,000.

Yes, this is expected with a virus that kills lots of elderly and infirm...many who likely would have died this year of something. This is why analysis isn’t needed long term to determine these things you are definitively claiming. What you generally will find when a virus kills elderly people that the death rate in that demo in following months/years decreases.

So, again, where is your evidence that a person working as a server or cook is at heightened risk of death or serious harm relative to a non-Covid year?

It is OK if it’s just your hunch, it may even be true.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

The House votes on the huge stimulus package today.

I'm seeing reports on NBC that Trump is open to negotiating on state aid and is open to another round of stimulus checks, both which are in the bill.

I thought he said it was dead on arrival because of mail-in voting provisions?

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

I'm seeing reports on NBC that Trump is open to negotiating on state aid and is open to another round of stimulus checks, both which are in the bill.

Wife said idiots in her "mommy" group are sharing some video claiming the house bill will take your children away if you don't get tested, lol.  THESE PEOPLE ARE FUCKING NUTS.

All else being the same, the mere existence and local unchecked transmission of covid increases risk of death or hospitalization of an individual by ... The risk of death or hospitalization due to catching the virus. Again, all else being there same. And since the main focus of their job is frequent, close contact with the general population this would put them at risk. Might just be a hunch, but it makes intuitive sense, and the nature of their work would be violating strict social distancing guidelines as written.

Not a waitress, but makes me think of this story

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

"Moderate" "suburban" caucus member to vote against this

15 hours ago, sblfilms said:

So, again, where is your evidence that a person working as a server or cook is at heightened risk of death or serious harm relative to a non-Covid year?

I would argue that there’s no guarantee how a person will react to a Covid infection. So anyone more at risk of being Infected due to any number of factors, is more at risk of dying or serious harm related to Covid. There have been deaths in all demographics, and not 100% have had preexisting underlying conditions. Though some underlying conditions could be undiagnosed, this being ‘merica and all. 

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

All else being the same

But that’s the key, all else is decidedly not the same. Your argument presupposes that it is.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

But that’s the key, all else is decidedly not the same. Your argument presupposes that it is.

Are you arguing that interacting with a bunch of randos not wearing masks in close proximity to each other does not increase your chances of infection?

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Are you arguing that interacting with a bunch of randos not wearing masks in close proximity to each other does not increase your chances of infection?

No. The discussion is about death and serious harm, not infection.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Are you arguing that exposure to SARS-CoV-2 doesn't increase a person's chance of hospitalization or death?

I believe he is arguing that for most working people, it does not. I think he correct in the sense that a working-age adult is not likely to be seriously impacted by the virus (well, at least people below the age of 55 or 60). However, the more people that are working, the more that will spread the virus to people who are at risk. If there was proper contact tracing and testing (and isolation for the vulnerable) this wouldn't be as big of a concern. But a lot of the US includes populations who live in multi-generational households, so the spread of the virus is going to kill people living in the same homes as workers who themselves will not be as affected.

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/us-retail-sales-april-2020.html

Retail sales plunge a record 16.4% in April, including a 78.8% drop for clothing retail.

Canada post is doing a good job of trying to kill retail further (still waiting on a package that on monday will be 4 weeks late and it's only going from Mississauga to Toronto).

1 hour ago, elbobo said:

Just got word that I will be working from home permanently, they are shutting down all the regional sales offices. 

Will you receive any type of assistance to upgrade your home office?  (assuming you have an office in your house)

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Are you arguing that exposure to SARS-CoV-2 doesn't increase a person's chance of hospitalization or death?

He's not arguing that... he's questioning it critically.Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think he correct in the sense that a working-age adult is not likely to be seriously impacted by the virus (well, at least people below the age of 55 or 60). However, the more people that are working, the more that will spread the virus to people who are at risk. If there was proper contact tracing and testing (and isolation for the vulnerable) this wouldn't be as big of a concern. But a lot of the US includes populations who live in multi-generational households, so the spread of the virus is going to kill people living in the same homes as workers who themselves will not be as affected.

He's asking about a SPECIFIC job (a waitress) which by it's very nature, deals with the public on a daily basis.  I haven't seen any data on wait staff at restaurants because restaurants have been closed for the most part during this pandemic,  but other jobs with that require a lot of contact with the general public, that have continued because they were deemed essential,  have seen a spike in employees getting sick and dying due to COVID 19. This includes Bus drivers, Transit Workers, Police officers, Postal workers and Grocery Store employees. Now I don't have charts and graphs in front of me but I think it's a pretty safe bet that with the exception of Police officers,  these other occupations didn't have the same level of death last year that they are experiencing this year. That IS a hunch to be fair,  but one I'm willing to put folding money on.

Also the notion that the virus isn't that serious for anyone but old people is being disproven every day. They just named a brand new disease last night that affects children that they believe to be Covid related and some folks who have gotten the disease and recovered have experienced all kinds of debilitating effects,  long term and short term. You DO NOT want to get this. 

I’m prepping for one of the graduation ceremonies we are hosting, so I’ll give a brief example to explain what I’m actually asking for (not even arguing anything if you go back to the begging of the exchange!) in my dialogue with @b_m_b_m_b_m

If you were to compare the risk of death or serious bodily injury living in a house with a pool vs. without a pool, there is an increase in risk (all else being equal) in going from the house without a pool to a house with pool.

But the more important question is the actual risk, not the relative risk. If the now elevated risk of death or serious bodily harm is very low, it doesn’t make much difference if the alternate is also very low. You’re comparing two unlikely events against one another.

Or think about something like vaccines. The risk of death or serious bodily harm from a vaccine is zero if you never get one, but that is the evaluation we are interested in. We want to know the risk of death or serious bodily harm with a vaccine, which turns out is very low. 

So without getting further into the weeds of risk assessment, my original question still remains unanswered. What is the actual risk of death or serious bodily injury for somebody working as a server or cook due to the Covid pandemic assuming you are working in one of the states that is in one of these early stage reopenings?

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Will you receive any type of assistance to upgrade your home office?  (assuming you have an office in your house)

Back in March when we started working from home I literally just took all my computer equipment from my work desk and brought it home and put it on my second desk in my computer room

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

We know it's been hitting grocery store employees hard. I don't see why we need to go through all of this effort to conclude that it's going to hit servers hard too.

I got an alert today that several Ralph's employees including one at the one I shop at have died due to Covid 19. I don't remember a bunch of Ralph's workers dying this time last year for ANY reason :hmm:

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

We know it's been hitting grocery store employees hard. I don't see why we need to go through all of this effort to conclude that it's going to hit servers hard too.

It should be easy to show the actual risk of death or serious bodily harm for for grocery store employees if such a thing is occurring.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I got an alert today that several Ralph's employees including one at the one I shop at have died. I don't remember a bunch of Ralph's workers dying this time last year for ANY reason :hmm:

You keep track of deaths of employees at your local grocery store on a yearly basis?

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

It should be easy to show the actual risk of death or serious bodily harm for for grocery store employees if such a thing is occurring.

You keep track of deaths of employees at your local grocery store on a yearly basis?

It IS being shown and no I do not keep track but my news alerts do. I don't remember getting and news alerts for a bunch of Ralph's employees dying last year for ANY reason. 

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I got an alert today that several Ralph's employees including one at the one I shop at have died due to Covid 19. I don't remember a bunch of Ralph's workers dying this time last year for ANY reason :hmm:

Are you sure they just didn’t get a pool?

• Haha 2