~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

Some napkin math for me is:

Gross monthly income (in feeble Canadian dollars): $4743

I put $355/mo into an RRSP (same as 401k) which is then matched by my employer. I also put $140/mo into my own RRSP. I also currently put aside $800/mo in short-term savings for my wedding (2.45% high interest savings account). Then when I have extra income rolling in from wedding photography, I save that towards cash for a new car, etc. 

So I think, on average, I am putting around 18% of my income each month into RRSPs (which is the legal cap once maxed out), and then an additional 17-25% into other savings, which right now are short-term. Once the wedding is done then we will set a goal for a down-payment on a condo, but I will also put money into a TFSA (I think with a Roth 401k? It's tax-sheltered growth on post-tax income, rather than pre-tax like an RRSP). My goal is retirement at 55. A 25-30% savings goal right now (with increased savings as time goes on) will allow for that.

16 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I look forward to your actual evidence of the impact presidents have on the stock market. Amusingly you’re pointed to something that has nothing to do with the president and actually has effects on the markets.

Your WIFE works at a bank. That elevates your opinion how exactly?

Canadian bank, so his opinion is coming from a elevated line of latitude. 

• Haha 2

On 2/28/2020 at 6:39 AM, SaysWho? said:

If it is bumpy for a while, it makes me wish kavb still posted here.

And then the next day things would go bad and kavb would post, "I'm going to go to bed. When I wake up, everything will be okay again."

Those were good days.

giphy.gif

@TheLeon

This @ mention confounds me. Is it because I'm a known fan of Strong Bad? It's the only thing in this entire thread I know anything about. 

10 hours ago, TheLeon said:

1. You must have a good memory, because I don’t know when the hell I ever talked about Homestar Runner on these boards. 
2. Keep it up. 

Years ago for a box office thread my title was that some movie, I forget which one, was burninating the countryside. You upvoted it due to the reference. So yeah good memory :p

10 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Years ago for a box office thread my title was that some movie, I forget which one, was burninating the countryside. You upvoted it due to the reference. So yeah good memory :p

This makes me think you have a spreadsheet of who has upvoted all of your posts.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This makes me think you have a spreadsheet of who has upvoted all of your posts.

That would have been a great idea! :doh:

Nah, that one just stuck out because I liked the thread title and he was the one user who said, "Upvoting for the Strong Bad reference," or whatever he said. That's why any time someone would tell me that I make notes of things to use against them later, it's not like that; I just have a really good memory for useless shit.

If I had this memory during college, my study time would have been reduced by 95%.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Central bank intervention in this "crisis" is ludicrous beyond words.

I'm in the process of buying a house, and my pre approval rate on Weds last week was 4%.

We submitted an offer over the weekend, the seller accepted, and my mortgage broker said he can lock us in at 3.625%. 

Sheer coincidence of timing but will save me a ton of $$$ in the long term. Hopefully it's just a massive overreaction, but only time will really tell.

7 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I tried to buy a new house but prices are crazy due to these rates. I can sell my house for 100k more than I bought it four years ago. 

the market is crazy around me and I do not live in a desirable part of the country. My cousin is looking for a new place and they want to keep their kids in the same school, they gave their realtor their requirements which were not outrageous by any stretch and he came back with there wasn't a single house on the market that meet their needs. They are looking to build now.

19 minutes ago, elbobo said:

the market is crazy around me and I do not live in a desirable part of the country. My cousin is looking for a new place and they want to keep their kids in the same school, they gave their realtor their requirements which were not outrageous by any stretch and he came back with there wasn't a single house on the market that meet their needs. They are looking to build now.

They're no inventory in many places, and zoning forbids even a modest increase in density in most cases for desirable areas

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They're no inventory in many places, and zoning forbids even a modest increase in density in most cases for desirable areas

there is still a decent amount of land around where he is looking to build on, problem around here is developers can't find sub contractors that are worth a shit.