Jump to content

~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't understand—what is SALT? So you can write off your local/state taxes on your federal taxes? Why would that even be a thing?

Basically, yeah. The deduction reduces the income used to calculate your federal taxes. Same as charitable giving and home mortgage interest (lol)

 

But these itemized deductions are weighed against the ~24000$ standard deduction. So the two biggest things are the SALT deduction and home mortgage interest deduction. Even with the SALT cap and the cap for mortgage interest between the two of these you can easily blow past the 24k standard deduction in an area with a high cost of housing and taxes...but only if you're already relatively well off because the bar is so high. You have to own a home and be paying interest and taxes on this in addition to other state and local taxes. (Which non homeowners/non mortgage payers also pay but don't get the benefit of the mortgage interest deduction or the deduction for paying their landlords property taxes)

 

So even outside of the data (which points to the wealthy getting the majority of the benefit of the removal of the SALT cap) it makes intuitive sense that this cap in addition to the MI deduction massively favors the well to do. They both should be removed, and even the GOP couldn't eliminate them! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Shuttered Venue Operators Grant opened today. It gives 45% of the 2019 earned revenue for Live performance, Museums, and Movie Theaters in the form of a grant. Hoping for all my friends in the theater business that these grants are processed quickly and they are able to get caught up on all their back due rent and other liabilities as we come out of the Covid shock.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

 

 

The problem with this piecemeal approach is that you'll end up getting inflation, because millions of people got bumped up because of EOs and PR pressure, but then you still have people making 7.25 who are even worse off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, MarSolo said:

This is gold:

 


lmao, you can’t quit your job and collect unemployment. Depending on where you live, getting fired is a pretty sure fire way to not get unemployment either. Who the fuck are these people. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:


lmao, you can’t quit your job and collect unemployment. Depending on where you live, getting fired is a pretty sure fire way to not get unemployment either. Who the fuck are these people. 

 

 

And states have varying rules about how you have to be looking for work to collect UI.

 

I think they loosened the restrictions towards the beginning of the pandemic, but I would imagine that's long gone in most states.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

And states have varying rules about how you have to be looking for work to collect UI.

 

I think they loosened the restrictions towards the beginning of the pandemic, but I would imagine that's long gone in most states.

 

I dunno, in CA they extended benefits for an extra year pretty much. I know I got extended twice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:


lmao, you can’t quit your job and collect unemployment. Depending on where you live, getting fired is a pretty sure fire way to not get unemployment either. Who the fuck are these people. 

It's something that honestly boils my piss.

 

PeoPLe wOn'T gO BaCk tO WoRk!!!

 

If your old job is still there and they offer it back to you and you say "no," you lose your unemployment benefits. That's how the system works. You can't refuse work and still get benefits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

 

 

Cori, u srsly think ending homelessness would only cost $20 billion?  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

 

Cori, u srsly think ending homelessness would only cost $20 billion?  

 

WWW.STRONGTOWNS.ORG

What would it actually cost to put a roof over the head of every person experiencing chronic homelessness? Some number crunching suggests not as much as you think, and an amount...

$20b/~570,000 ~= $35k, more than enough to provide housing first

 

22 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

 

2006, huh?  Oh, that's not ominous at all!

It's not anything like 2006, it's now a supply crunch for well qualified buyers, not a "give any old person who can fog a mirror a variable rate mortgage" situation

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-2020: "It's a starter job, of course the pay sucks! Get a real job if you want a livable wage, loser!"
2020: "OH GOD YOU'RE VITAL TO SOCIETY THE ECONOMY WILL COLLAPSE WITHOUT YOU PLEASE COME IN DESPITE THE PLAGUE!"
Now: "It's a starter job, of course the pay sucks! Get a real job if you want a livable wage, loser!"

 

Those who never learn from history...

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 10:56 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:


lmao, you can’t quit your job and collect unemployment. Depending on where you live, getting fired is a pretty sure fire way to not get unemployment either. Who the fuck are these people. 


You definitely could because of the pandemic. I know because I did it lmao.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking around my town and most places are offering 10 or more.

 

The shithole I worked at is still trying to hire for 9 an hour(this is in OH where minimum wage starts at 8.80 right now). I dunno what is worse, that they are paying so little, or that they are hiring at not much less than I was making after working there for 15 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joe said:


You definitely could because of the pandemic. I know because I did it lmao.

Depends on your employer. And your state. I was offered my job back 2 times over the last year, once in about May, once again in August or something like that. The first time I said "no" and my boss was like "okay, we never had this conversation." The second time it was more like "if you don't come back you'll lose your benefits."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

Depends on your employer. And your state. I was offered my job back 2 times over the last year, once in about May, once again in August or something like that. The first time I said "no" and my boss was like "okay, we never had this conversation." The second time it was more like "if you don't come back you'll lose your benefits."


I’m surprised Oregon wouldn’t be better about this. One of the fields I check every week is “I quit my job because of COVID 19.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I am looking around my town and most places are offering 10 or more.

 

The shithole I worked at is still trying to hire for 9 an hour(this is in OH where minimum wage starts at 8.80 right now). I dunno what is worse, that they are paying so little, or that they are hiring at not much less than I was making after working there for 15 years.

I didn't realize you also had to deal with Ohio. Condolences.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...