Jump to content

~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

More comparing instate cc to instate uni. I know in my case the nearest cc was an hour away so it was nearly the same cost to live in a dorm at my university than to live at home and commute or move closer to the cc 

 

There's no way I'd ever argue that out of state is worth it under current circumstances

Gotcha. I mean, it certainly varies with each individual situation. I lived about 10 minutes from the CC I initially attended, 35 from the university I went to later. I also stayed with my aunt the night before my clinicals, which saved on gas, since she lived in the same city. 
 

but I do think we agree on most of the overall points here. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Gotcha. I mean, it certainly varies with each individual situation. I lived about 10 minutes from the CC I initially attended, 35 from the university I went to later. I also stayed with my aunt the night before my clinicals, which saved on gas, since she lived in the same city. 
 

but I do think we agree on most of the overall points here. 

Yeah I think so too. 

 

Part of what drives me nuts is that I could have gotten two years of university for free, but I couldn't afford a car that I'd need for the hour+ drive to the nearest university while I was in high school so instead I got.to.take.out tens of thousands of dollars in loans but *shrug* c'est la vie

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My oldest is going to begin taking classes at the community college in the fall. They have programs that allow high school freshmen to take 6 credit hours per semester. Excited for him. Some of my favorite teachers were my community college teachers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

My oldest is going to begin taking classes at the community college in the fall. They have programs that allow high school freshmen to take 6 credit hours per semester. Excited for him. Some of my favorite teachers were my community college teachers.

I absolutely adore my lit teacher from CC. I still keep in touch with her and talk books and politics. She's also quirky as hell, too, which is fun. I had some really good instructors there, overall. It was a fantastic experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My oldest is going to begin taking classes at the community college in the fall. They have programs that allow high school freshmen to take 6 credit hours per semester. Excited for him. Some of my favorite teachers were my community college teachers.

I was a high school drop out. It wasn't until going to community college that I felt like the teachers actually gave a shit about what they were teaching. That made me give a shit. It sounds small, but it was a big thing for me. I had to take algebra like three times in middle/high school, but when I got to college, my teacher actually made it click. I was taking 300 level math classes when I was 19.

 

Granted I never graduated college either, but the teaching when I started community college improved significantly.

 

I probably hold some kind of record for most time spent in school with no diploma of any kind, except a GED.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I was a high school drop out. It wasn't until going to community college that I felt like the teachers actually gave a shit about what they were teaching. That made me give a shit. It sounds small, but it was a big thing for me. I had to take algebra like three times in middle/high school, but when I got to college, my teacher actually made it click. I was taking 300 level math classes when I was 19.

 

Granted I never graduated college either, but the teaching when I started community college improved significantly.

 

I probably hold some kind of record for most time spent in school with no diploma of any kind, except a GED.

 

It also depends what program you're in. If you're in gifted or AP classes, I feel your teachers in high school are more likely to have some tenure and are there a while. If you're in a regular class, you could have multiple teachers a year, and it seems damned difficult to learn under that environment. So that really could have screwed you up as well.

 

Also, may I join the chorus of community college praise?

 

Although I was accepted to two universities my senior year of HS, I opted for community college because I was told you could save money doing two years there before going to university, and for the rest of my life, I will shout from the mountains that it's a great idea to do your core classes there. Smaller classes, more help from professors, and there are PLENTY of quality professors found in community colleges. Your core class is a core class no matter where you take it, so taking it in a smaller classroom and for significantly less money will help your monetarily. I enjoyed many of my professors on a personal level. Plus after you finish, you're fully capable of going to the university of your dreams with more money saved, especially if the scholarships you received more than covered expenses and money was refunded to you.

 

It also helps if you did badly in HS; community college provides you a fresh slate.

 

I graduated university with no debt doing community college and then university (in addition to scholarships and just working since HS), but not everybody can do that, not everybody is instructed about the benefits of community college, and not graduating with debt wouldn't have happened if I tried to be a doctor.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19virus-boom-sub-videoSixteenByNine3000.
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Signs of economic life are picking up, and mounds of cash are waiting to be spent as the virus loosens its grip.

on one hand the times is almost always wrong, on the other, this confirms my thoughts that since the savings rate is up from the checks for those who didn't lose out on jobs and income, this money will get drained out and spent once vaccination levels reach near herd immunity

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
19virus-boom-sub-videoSixteenByNine3000.
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Signs of economic life are picking up, and mounds of cash are waiting to be spent as the virus loosens its grip.

on one hand the times is almost always wrong, on the other, this confirms my thoughts that since the savings rate is up from the checks for those who didn't lose out on jobs and income, this money will get drained out and spent once vaccination levels reach near herd immunity

 

 

 

I don't know if there will be a long-sustained boom, but I do think there will be a huge upswing in short-term spending, at least. There are millions of upper-middle class people that are sitting on huge savings from the pandemic. Hopefully when it's spent it will help recover job losses in the working class.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
19virus-boom-sub-videoSixteenByNine3000.
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Signs of economic life are picking up, and mounds of cash are waiting to be spent as the virus loosens its grip.

on one hand the times is almost always wrong, on the other, this confirms my thoughts that since the savings rate is up from the checks for those who didn't lose out on jobs and income, this money will get drained out and spent once vaccination levels reach near herd immunity

 

 

 

 

One of the store spaces in my town that went out of business during the pandemic just recently announced a Planet Fitness will be moving in.

 

On first blush that sounded like a horrible idea, then I passed by it, saw the construction going on inside, and realized they are likely trying to plan their opening for that May/June window when things may start getting back to normal and I realized that would be genius. People will be desperate to get back out into the world, and they could make a killing.

 

Just one small data point in one small town, but hopefully it is indicative of a boom waiting to happen around the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

 

I don't know if there will be a long-sustained boom, but I do think there will be a huge upswing in short-term spending, at least. There are millions of upper-middle class people that are sitting on huge savings from the pandemic. Hopefully when it's spent it will help recover job losses in the working class.

Without sustained government spending to keep things going (read: infrastructure spending) I think this is likely. I do forsee a good bit of that spending going towards vacations and dining out, basically doing things that weren't really safe to do during the pandemic. The problem would be there's a lot of businesses supporting and in these industries that have gone belly up which may limit growth here. But the upside is that if there are places to dine out or vacation to, people who have been out of work for whatever reason may be able to find work quickly again. Hard to predict the future

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

One of the store spaces in my town that went out of business during the pandemic just recently announced a Planet Fitness will be moving in.

 

On first blush that sounded like a horrible idea, then I passed by it, saw the construction going on inside, and realized they are likely trying to plan their opening for that May/June window when things may start getting back to normal and I realized that would be genius. People will be desperate to get back out into the world, and they could make a killing.

 

Just one small data point in one small town, but hopefully it is indicative of a boom waiting to happen around the country.

Yeah, the thing that sucks is that this further entrenches those who already have money. Instead of a mom and pop shop (or even just a local chain) you've got a major chain coming in to sit on perfectly good real estate and extract money from the community.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yeah, the thing that sucks is that this further entrenches those who already have money. Instead of a mom and pop shop (or even just a local chain) you've got a major chain coming in to sit on perfectly good real estate and extract money from the community.

The strong have eaten the weak.

 

The good thing is that perhaps enough people have saved enough money that there will be a new wave of small businesses, but that will take time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fizzzzle said:

The good thing is that perhaps enough people have saved enough money that there will be a new wave of small businesses, but that will take time.

 

OLO

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

school reopenings will not be an issue even in Virginia and we've got an election this year. To say nothing of people not giving a single shit about the lack of bipartisanship or the cost if they're getting checks

 

 

They're really just hoping for a backlash and that's it

Link to post
Share on other sites
210222181225-03-biden-covid-deaths-0222-
WWW.CNN.COM

More than 150 senior executives from some of the largest American companies across several major industries have lined up behind President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package, according to a letter obtained by CNN.

 

Quote

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky attacked the plan as "totally partisan," and Republicans in the House and Senate appear unified in voting against the proposal, aides in both chambers say.


Biden, however, has been steadfast that his mandate is to "go big," and in recent days has challenged opponents of his plan to outline specifically what they'd like to strip from the package.


"Now critics say the plan is too big," Biden said at the White House on Monday. "Let me ask the rhetorical question -- what would you have me cut? What would you have me leave out?"


The letter from business leaders serves to bolster Democratic arguments about the size of the package.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Everyone's favorite fascist populist has come up with his own minimum wage "plan" that relies heavily on tax credits.

 

1614122442382.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

He plans to pitch "The Blue Collar Bonus" as a populist, pro-worker proposal.

 

This dude couldn't look more like Patrick Bateman if he tried. Amazing stuff considering he unironically sounds just like him.

 

Hawley to poor people: "Get a god-damn job, America. You've got a negative attitude, that's what's stopping you, you gotta get your act together!" 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Everyone's favorite fascist populist has come up with his own minimum wage "plan" that relies heavily on tax credits.

 

1614122442382.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

He plans to pitch "The Blue Collar Bonus" as a populist, pro-worker proposal.

 

 

 

pathetic

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My co workers last week informed me that prices will increase at an equal increase to min wage.

 

If a combo meal from McD costs $9 and min wage increases by $5 then meal will now cost $14 cause  THEY HAVE TO MAKE THE MONEY BACK!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:


The problem isn’t getting Republicans to like you. Democrats aren’t expecting many votes from them at all, if any.

 

The problem is, because of that, it goes through reconciliation, combined with the upcoming budget. And if I’ve read correctly, that means that the bill could be signed into law today and Still won’t take effect until late March.

 

 If I’m understanding that correctly, it doesn’t matter if it’s signed today or two weeks from that, but if someone has a better understanding, I’m all ears to learning about this.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:


The problem isn’t getting Republicans to like you. Democrats aren’t expecting many votes from them at all, if any.

 

The problem is, because of that, it goes through reconciliation, combined with the upcoming budget. And if I’ve read correctly, that means that the bill could be signed into law today and Still won’t take effect until late March.

 

 If I’m understanding that correctly, it doesn’t matter if it’s signed today or two weeks from that, but if someone has a better understanding, I’m all ears to learning about this.

Yep. The past stimulus went through it was because there were Republicans who wanted trump to do well, and now that a democrat, biden, is president, they don't want him to do well. Simple as that!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...