What are you playing today?

I was playing Neverwinter Nights Legendary Edition and then wanted something more first person, so I bought Mass Effect Legendary Edition and all weekend long I played Mass Effect 1, starting it over a couple of times as I started to remember more and more of the game. Started off as a soldier, like practically everyone, and then finally fired up a vanguard, which I've been playing ever since. Some of those missions are still pretty damn tough, like one of the first companion rescues when you end up cornered with a huge mech that is practically impossible to kill. I was about to throw my computer out the window before Kaidan pulled off a miracle and brought it down. I know a lot of people really talk bad about the UNC missions, but I'm kind of having fun with those, as they kind of remind me of Xcom missions where you basically run a tactical mission that doesn't really have a huge impact on the rest of the game.

Strangely enough, I bought the trilogy mainly to play 2 and 3, which I never really gave enough attention in the past (2 very little and none to 3), but now I'm kind of bogged down in 1, slogging my way through and having a great time.

I had kind of forgotten how great this game is. One thing I do remember is that I used to HATE the Mako missions, but mostly because I vaguely remember that my graphics were kind of crappy back then so that I remember once driving off the side of the road into lava or something like that because I couldn't see a damn thing. Graphics are SO MUCH better today. I still get plastered by enemies with the Mako, including one very unfortunate incident with a thresher maw, but that's just because I suck, not because of anything the game is responsible for. :)

I'll be playing FFXIV all the way into the new year. Got a 180 day sub and there is plenty to do. Honestly doubt I get all of the classes to 80 even tho I should for the mount. I just hate healers and I don't even want to level them in the deep dungeons. 

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

I'll be playing FFXIV all the way into the new year. Got a 180 day sub and there is plenty to do. Honestly doubt I get all of the classes to 80 even tho I should for the mount. I just hate healers and I don't even want to level them in the deep dungeons. 

Do you actively look to make friends in these types of games? Or less communication the better?

20 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Do you actively look to make friends in these types of games? Or less communication the better?

I'm in a Free Company and I am in a Cross World Link Shell with a bunch of people from another "Forum". I don't seek out to play with, but people who I have played with randomly have added me as a friend. 

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm in a Free Company and I am in a Cross World Link Shell with a bunch of people from another "Forum". I don't seek out to play with, but people who I have played with randomly have added me as a friend. 

Is that how real life works?

After RAGE DELETING Returnal about a month ago, I re-installed it this weekend and finally beat the first boss and pretty easily I might add. On that same run, I made it all the way to the second area boss and almost beat him too.  I guess we just needed some time apart. lol

36 minutes ago, nublood said:

After RAGE DELETING Returnal about a month ago, I re-installed it this weekend and finally beat the first boss and pretty easily I might add. On that same run, I made it all the way to the second area boss and almost beat him too.  I guess we just needed some time apart. lol

You sorry sack if shit. :p

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Keep playing... I enjoyed it a lot and you start to get attached to your squad pretty quickly.

I'm only about 5 hours in at this point.  So I will probably give it at least another 10 hours.

Early on, I was trying to do stealth.  However, the last hour or so I've been using a character with a shotgun.  I make a VERY limited attempt at stealth, and then kill everyone with shotgun shells to the head.  I hope the game eventually allows my squad member to have more than 1 piece of tech equipped -- because it makes the stealth options feel much more limited than the last 2 games.

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm only about 5 hours in at this point.  So I will probably give it at least another 10 hours.

Early on, I was trying to do stealth.  However, the last hour or so I've been using a character with a shotgun.  I make a VERY limited attempt at stealth, and then kill everyone with shotgun shells to the head.  I hope the game eventually allows my squad member to have more than 1 piece of tech equipped -- because it makes the stealth options feel much more limited than the last 2 games.

I played mostly stealth and if you want a more tech based character, switch to a different squad member. The game is designed for you to switch back before between the different squad members. I personally think stealth in this game is better than the previous two games especially with gadgets like the tactical cloak.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I played mostly stealth and if you want a more tech based character, switch to a different squad member. The game is designed for you to switch back before between the different squad memebrs.

You're right. I am moving between squad members, but, it blocks me from switching tech/squad members once I am in a mission/location (for instance I have the invisibility tech equipped, and I realize I really wanted a spider bot or drone).

Question -- do you get any benefit from the currency other than cosmetics?  [Not the green tech points, the other one.]

On 7/30/2021 at 2:44 PM, TheLeon said:

I'm going old school simplistic as well - Final Fantasy. I bought that new bundle on Steam. I owned some version ages ago (I think the GBA cart that had 1 and 2) but barely played it. Since I dropped like $80 on these 6 games, I'm going to commit to finishing at least a couple of them. I've played a lot of FF over the years, but never actually finished one.

I’m not telling you what to do - but please play through all the FF games in order and leave impressions. It’s so far been an enjoyable journey to follow.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're right. I am moving between squad members, but, it blocks me from switching tech/squad members once I am in a mission/location (for instance I have the invisibility tech equipped, and I realize I really wanted a spider bot or drone).

Question -- do you get any benefit from the currency other than cosmetics?  [Not the green tech points, the other one.]

Most places have spiderbots and drones onsite that you can hack which is why I almost never equipped them. I always would hack the cameras to get an idea of where everything was and sometimes you could complete mission objectives without even stepping foot inside the facility you're hacking. As far as i know I believe the currency is just for cosmetics. There's some cool clothing options in the game if you're into customizing your characters. 

I've played all three games and I definitely feel like this is the best one from a gameplay standpoint. I really liked the recruit everyone mechanic and like I said, stealth was implemented better in this game to me than the previous ones to the point where I always tried to go stealth first in most missions and saved the bloodshed for a last resort.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I’m not telling you what to do - but please play through all the FF games in order and leave impressions. It’s so far been an enjoyable journey to follow.

That’s the plan. I’m not sure I’ll run through them back to back, but now I’m pretty excited to play them all. 

I played a bit of Dark Souls after about 6 months (plus) if not touching it. I’m trying to decide whether I actually want to finish it, or if I just feel like I should. I’m in Darkroot Basin making my way to Sif, so I’ll see how I fare and then decide from there.

I've also played more Spiritfarer which is great and it’s such a fun loop, with that decision about what task to focus on.

Lastly, I downloaded Pokemon Unite which was perfectly OK. I’ve never played a MOBA and I was hoping for more layers than the game seemingly offers, but it wasn’t rubbish.

I’m also in the ‘might buy Skyward Sword’ camp - I’ve played half the game and found it OK, but I feel handheld mode could be a game changer.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Dragon Quest VIII. I'm about 45 hours in. I have so much else I want to play, but I don't want to get off track with DQ.

Don't do it! I stopped playing DQVIII about a year and a half ago and I think I might have to start over :(

Oh jesus, I thought you were talking about DQXI. In that case, you better make it about 16 years for DQVIII and I definitely would have to start over!