What are you playing today?

On 4/23/2021 at 4:46 PM, crispy4000 said:

Man... Yoku's Island Express is the very definition of a sleeper.  It's like a slightly lower budget, but much more inventive Ori and Blind Forest.  But also a lot more chill.

Reminds me of how I was pleasantly surprised by Teslagrad.  That's another Metroidvania-lite people need to try if they haven't.

On 4/22/2021 at 3:42 PM, crispy4000 said:

Tried out Yoku's Island Express today.  Fun little game, I like the vibe.  The pinball is great!  Love the way it seamlessly transitions in/out of standard walking.

It is a fun combination of pinball and puzzle -- was it a sleeper?  I thought it had a lot of buzz for an indie game (at least on the podcasts I listened too) when it was released.

It wasn’t a sleeper. I picked it up at launch due to the hype around it. I never beat it. I got more than halfway through and took a break. I can’t figure out where I am suppose to go next. I load it up every now and then because it’s fun to play 

I’ve been playing a lot of Slay the Spire on iPad. I’ve finally beaten it (4th boss) once with the Ironclad. Now to do it with the other 3 classes, which will probably take a while. I kinda stumbled into my winning strategy accidentally this time.

On 4/25/2021 at 10:24 PM, dualhunter said:

Finished Halo 3:ODST, stupid game bugged out (the final wave or waves of enemies wouldn't trigger) at the end of the last level. After restarting from the last checkpoint a few times I ended up having to restart the whole level in order to be able to finish it.

I have a 360 in my cupboard and would love to buy a few games for it but desperately need a new controller. The sad news being controllers are still stupidly expensive so that won’t be happening.

Prince of Persia 2008.

It's one of the biggest examples of style over substance I've seen.  All platforming and combat actions are buffered beyond a sense of direct control.  And you can't die.  Where's the difficulty? You use different face buttons to perform actions that could really be mapped to a single button.  By comparison, the older PoP games were less parkour but somehow much more improvisatory.

Traversal is still kind of fun to play/watch.  It's got some collect-a-thon vibes with its orbs, which I'm not a fan of here.  Unlike a 3D platformer in earnest, getting those is mostly about re-running the same linear circuit you've already done before.  But you should jump off here instead of there, then respawn or wall jump to where you were.

The world map design is the most interesting part.  It's almost proto-BoTW in a way, letting you immediately choose one of four directions to go.  Impressed me at first, but I still prefer the Metroidvania-lite design of Warrior Within over it.

My in laws are down and my wife is playing Spiritfarer on our Switch so I’ve dug out my GameCube for when I can’t play on the PS4. I popped in Eternal Darkness and have just found Karim’s chapter so we’ll see. I keep seeing Metroid Prime in my cupboard, unfinished and I know exactly where I am (come out of a save room and I can get the ice beam) so I know I should really pick that up and complete 18 years after starting.

Played 4.5 hours of Valhalla today. Game is terrific for the most part. But I can't emphasize enough how poor the enemy and friendly AI is. I hope this gen they scale the games back and really focus on the AI in every way. Make a smaller game with incredible detail and amazing AI. 

I'm 58 hours in and still have a long ways to go. What's been cool is that I've been in the north for a while and the snow effects are awesome and the the cities are beautiful and very impressive. I like Eivor, too. 

@Phaseknox are you still playing Valhalla?

On 5/2/2021 at 10:16 AM, gamer.tv said:

My in laws are down and my wife is playing Spiritfarer on our Switch so I’ve dug out my GameCube for when I can’t play on the PS4. I popped in Eternal Darkness and have just found Karim’s chapter so we’ll see. I keep seeing Metroid Prime in my cupboard, unfinished and I know exactly where I am (come out of a save room and I can get the ice beam) so I know I should really pick that up and complete 18 years after starting.

More Eternal Darkness. It’s nice to play the game when I'm not 12 and this terrified of it.

I’m also thankful for the save feature which is forgiving and helps mitigate the fact that if you die, it’s back to the last point you saved.

I’ve made it to Chapter 5 and it’s a case of so far, so good. 

21 hours ago, best3444 said:

@Phaseknox are you still playing Valhalla?

Yes, I’ve played it for about 60 hours now and I’m really enjoying it. I’m primarily focusing on the main story quests since a lot of the optional side activities/collectables don’t really interest me all that much, and feel kind of like filler to me. I like doing the settlement character quests, contracts and raids, though.

The story has been really good, it’s dark and violent. And Eivor is a likable character. But the combat somewhat seems like a step back compared to Odyssey’s. It’s a little more limited, and doesn’t offer as good of special abilities. It’s still pretty good, but Odyssey’s combat is slightly more fun and satisfying IMO.

However, just about everything else is better in Valhalla including its setting, story, characters and quests. While Odyssey offers more quests overall, the ones in Valhalla are bigger, more varied and feel more significant. I’m definitely having a good time with it, and look forward to playing it some more.

57 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Yes, I’ve played it for about 60 hours now and I’m really enjoying it. I’m primarily focusing on the main story quests since a lot of the optional side activities/collectables don’t really interest me all that much, and feel kind of like filler to me. I like doing the settlement character quests, contracts and raids, though.

The story has been really good, it’s dark and violent. And Eivor is a likable character. But the combat somewhat seems like a step back compared to Odyssey’s. It’s a little more limited, and doesn’t offer as good of special abilities. It’s still pretty good, but Odyssey’s combat is slightly more fun and satisfying IMO.

However, just about everything else is better in Valhalla including its setting, story, characters and quests. While Odyssey offers more quests overall, the ones in Valhalla are bigger, more varied and feel more significant. I’m definitely having a good time with it, and look forward to playing it some more.

That's great to hear. Yes, the combat in Valhalla isn't the greatest I agree. I can't remember how the combat was in Odyssey or how the the upgrades were handled. I'll take your word for it that it's better.

Are you noticing the poor AI for both the allies and enemies in valhalla?

I can't believe you're further along than I am and I've been playing it since launch. I'm like 58 hours in and still have a lot to do I think. I plan on beating this before I start RE8.

52 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Are you noticing the poor AI for both the allies and enemies in valhalla?

Yeah, usually more for the allies than the enemies though. The AI is especially poor for characters that have to follow you, or that you have to follow. They’re close to broken at times.

I can't believe you're further along than I am and I've been playing it since launch.

I’m retired, and spend a lot of my time gaming.

I plan on beating this before I start RE8.

I’m not sure that you’ll be able to finish it by Friday because there’s still several story quests to do at the 60 hour mark, and they’re long.

I’m really interested in Resident Evil VIII, but I’m going to wait to get it because I haven’t played VII yet.

8 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Yeah, usually more for the allies than the enemies though. The AI is especially poor for characters that have to follow you, or that you have to follow. They’re close to broken at times.

I’m retired, and spend a lot of my time gaming.

I’m not sure that you’ll be able to finish it by Friday because there’s still a lot of story quests to do at the 60 hour mark, and they’re long.

I’m really interested in Resident Evil VIII, but I’m going to wait to get it because I haven’t played VII yet.

I'm going to wait on RE8 until I beat Valhalla. Thanks for the response.  👍 

On 4/26/2021 at 10:03 AM, crispy4000 said:

If you play on PC, it’s part of a $4 bundle on Fanatical right now.  That’s where I got it recently.

If you have Amazon Prime, it’s free right now. 

10044281.attach
SLICKDEALS.NET

Prime Gaming [amazon.com] offers Prime Members: Select PC Digital Download Games for Free. Note, be sure to download games via Desktop App (free to Download...

I got to a location in Valhalla that is similar to the Shire in LOTR. It's pretty beautiful and the homes are kinda underground like the shire, too. I'm actually stuck in a situation where I don't know what to do. It pissed me off so I turned it off for the evening.