What are you playing today?

I'm thinking of picking up Death Stranding, just cause I've run out of things I want to play, and my computer is just staring at me, feeling betrayed by my lack of attention. My problem is I'm such an eclectic game player that for some reason, I tend to like things a lot of other people can't stand and don't like things that are extremely popular; I've never really understood why.

31 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I'm thinking of picking up Death Stranding, just cause I've run out of things I want to play, and my computer is just staring at me, feeling betrayed by my lack of attention. My problem is I'm such an eclectic game player that for some reason, I tend to like things a lot of other people can't stand and don't like things that are extremely popular; I've never really understood why.

I've said it quite a few times on here but I actually rented it more or less as a joke because the reviews made it sound like such a trainwreck. Ended up playing something like 6 or 7 hours straight and while flawed, I think it's an absolutely wonderful and wonderfully eccentric game. There's just something about its gameplay loop and unique atmosphere that pulled me in massively. I beat it a while back now and I still pop in and think about it quite often. It's fun, experimental, frustrating, poignant, silly, whimsical and pretentious all in one and I even find its failures endearing weirdly enough. Most important of all though, I just think the gameplay is great. 

I do suggest giving it a bit of time, it kind of operates in its own little universe of rules and what not and doesn't seem to care much what other current games are doing or define as fun. Also, there's a steady flow of it opening up in terms of abilities, toys etc. as the game progresses.

2 minutes ago, Man of Culture said:

Yup. Everyone walking DS off as as walking simulator is seriously missing out.

I've rarely played a video game that actually made being a good guy so satisfying. I once hit a guy with  my delivery truck and actually screamed NOOOOOO out loud at the TV in a sheer panic and not because the game punishes you with a Game Over but because you somehow legit feel like you're helping. 

I'm only right past the first cave, and getting concerned that it's going to involve lots of invisible enemies, something that sort of freaks me out when playing a game. It's definitely starting out pretty weird. If a two-headed, giant rabbit would have shown up right after I left the cave and offered me grape nuts cereal, I wouldn't have been all that surprised.

3 hours ago, nublood said:

Man I wish I could experience that game again for the first time. For me, it's up there with KOTOR as one of the best Star Wars games ever made.

That’s good to hear. I’ve not been able to play it any more but I’m actively thinking about playing it lying in bed at the moment. The last time I had that feeling was Last of Us 2.

So, I got a few hours in on Death Stranding. I love the graphics and the really quiet feel of the game. REALLY don't like the invisible attackers (not my sort of thing). I hate scenes where something jumps out at you. But I really like the delivery aspect of the game and the long walks across the wilderness. It's like American Truck Simulator without the trucks (I suck at handling trucks in a computer game and really wish I could find ATS using just a car as the interface...I'd never stop playing that game).

I'm currently in the incinerator right now, debating whether or not to continue this game because now I have to sneak past a bunch of invisible ghosts and I FREAKING HATE THAT KIND OF GAME. to be honest, if I could just turn off the ghosts, this game would probably be the game I've always wanted.

I bought Divinity Original Sin 2 on sale. I've already put like 17 hours into it, but I am crawling at like a snail's pace. A few of the battles took me a lot of tries to figure out some better techniques, and I'll admit I'm spamming the teleport gloves. However, I think I am getting better. 

The game has a really satisfying loop of battle, get a few new pieces of gear, story, battle going on for me right now. 

I also bought Grim Dawn on sale but have not played it yet. I don't know how that game was completely off my radar until recently. 

On 10/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, brucoe said:

So, I got a few hours in on Death Stranding. I love the graphics and the really quiet feel of the game. REALLY don't like the invisible attackers (not my sort of thing). I hate scenes where something jumps out at you. But I really like the delivery aspect of the game and the long walks across the wilderness. It's like American Truck Simulator without the trucks (I suck at handling trucks in a computer game and really wish I could find ATS using just a car as the interface...I'd never stop playing that game).

I'm currently in the incinerator right now, debating whether or not to continue this game because now I have to sneak past a bunch of invisible ghosts and I FREAKING HATE THAT KIND OF GAME. to be honest, if I could just turn off the ghosts, this game would probably be the game I've always wanted.

I too hate those encounters, but very much enjoy traversing the topology. Stick with it though, there is value there!  

Really enjoyed getting a bit lost in Zeffo in Fallen Order today and in general, the game as a whole. I like the traversal and the use of force powers in puzzles and combat and the way that levels will slowly but surely unravel. I did find I was running around trying to work out how to progress - when I just needed to be signposted a bit more, though I managed to work it out.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:56 AM, brucoe said:

The game WILL open up with weaponry, tools and gadgets to be used against BTs. It's not not stressful but honestly, after the very first area, which is more or less a tutorial of sorts, they become way less of an obstacle. It's more learning the rules etc. early on without weaponry that's very stressful. I mean you may still hate it but it 100% gets more manageable. 

Dead Space. I wanted to play something spoopy and I've never actually beaten Dead Space. My friend and I would always play games simultaneously as he would come over to my house and we swap between the PC/Xbox. He ended up beating before I did and I watched him, so I never went and finished it. This happened with a lot of games I should go re-finish like Red Dead

I just had a quick check and I’m roughly half way through the main story if Fallen Order. I’m still really enjoying it, though occasionally there are some performance issues and slightly annoying parts. I’m also still pretty poor at the gameplay - although not a massive fan, Dark Souls seems to give you a lot of practice against the enemies in it, which makes deaths feel more your fault. Fallen Order doesn’t have as high an enemy count and so I sometimes end up just blunt forcing my way through with force powers, holding triangle and running away.

it has helped me enjoy games though where the point is to be lost, unsure but explore - even with a marker on it’s not like many games where it’s either a very obvious marker or the game literally has something that guides you.

it’s also nice just seeing out the last few releases of this generation with my limited free time before we buy a PS5 and a new TV next summer. 

Just finished up Witcher 3.

Started The Sexy Brutale -- played through the tutorial and first two missions and decided that this game was not for me.

Playing through the Witness now.  I am conflicted on how much I like it.  Frequently, I really enjoy the puzzle design, and then other times, I bang my head against the wall for a bit, finally figure it out and say "that was stupid/random".  Most of the areas aren't hard (they may have 1-2 hard puzzles), but some (like the desert and the like the symbol that looks like 3 lines going to points of a triangle) just didn't have good intros into what the puzzles were all about.  (I'm at the point where I have maybe 7-8 lasers turned on -- don't really have a feel for if this is FAR into the game, or right near the beginning).

• 2 weeks later...

Pyre.  It feels like the game I would have wanted Banner Saga to be.  Still is a bit too repditive, and there's too much downtime between matches.  But the presentation is flawless.  It's pretty enough that it makes you forget you're doing the same thing over and over.

Really neat idea for how to progress the game once you get through the first tournament.  There's some hard choices, but not in ways that punish you obtusely.  In typical Supergaint style, it becomes as hard you make it.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:25 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Playing through the Witness now.  I am conflicted on how much I like it.  Frequently, I really enjoy the puzzle design, and then other times, I bang my head against the wall for a bit, finally figure it out and say "that was stupid/random".  Most of the areas aren't hard (they may have 1-2 hard puzzles), but some (like the desert and the like the symbol that looks like 3 lines going to points of a triangle) just didn't have good intros into what the puzzles were all about.  (I'm at the point where I have maybe 7-8 lasers turned on -- don't really have a feel for if this is FAR into the game, or right near the beginning).

I gave up on Witness after putting about 12 hours in.  It's okay, but overall pretty joyless.  Give Supraland a shot if it wasn't up to your speed.

I started playing DMC5 -- sort of as a palate cleanser from all of the open world games I've been playing recently.  It's been a while since I've played a Japanese character action game, and its not really clicking with me so far (although I am only midway through the 4th mission).  My mind has not yet wrapped around the combo system of RB + Analog stick movement + timing of Y presses.

34 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I gave up on Witness after putting about 12 hours in.  It's okay, but overall pretty joyless.  Give Supraland a shot if it wasn't up to your speed.

I just finished the Witness (after about 15 hours).  There was a lot to like about a lot of the puzzles -- but some of the puzzles just weren't that interesting for me to solve (particularly in the mountain at the end).  Mid-way down the mountain, I just decided that if I was confident I knew HOW the puzzle had to be solved, but didn't want to be bothered solving it, I would look at a guide.  Did this about 5 times, and was much happier for it.

About to finish Miles Morales. Platinum’d Astro’s playroom this morning. Restarted God of War, but that was just to see it in 4k. Later today, Sackboy and Valhalla. Might even buy godfall, im not sure.

On 11/8/2020 at 5:24 AM, gamer.tv said:

I just had a quick check and I’m roughly half way through the main story if Fallen Order. I’m still really enjoying it, though occasionally there are some performance issues and slightly annoying parts. I’m also still pretty poor at the gameplay - although not a massive fan, Dark Souls seems to give you a lot of practice against the enemies in it, which makes deaths feel more your fault. Fallen Order doesn’t have as high an enemy count and so I sometimes end up just blunt forcing my way through with force powers, holding triangle and running away.

it has helped me enjoy games though where the point is to be lost, unsure but explore - even with a marker on it’s not like many games where it’s either a very obvious marker or the game literally has something that guides you.

it’s also nice just seeing out the last few releases of this generation with my limited free time before we buy a PS5 and a new TV next summer. 

i loved JFO when it wasn’t graphically broken or crashing. I plan on replaying on ps5, I hope it works better. 

It was never fixed. I don’t know if the issue was my base ps4, or the coding and design. Guess we’ll see.