Jump to content

What are you playing today?


CastlevaniaNut18
 Share

Recommended Posts

After the rough beginning of Nier Automata, I am starting to enjoy it more, but I don’t see myself playing through this multiple times. The combat is what you expect from a Platinum game. It’s fast and fluid but lacks weight. It’s also really busy on screen where it is hard to see exactly what is going on and devolves to button mashing. The camera doesn’t help either. FF7 Remake should arrive soon and I’ll probably drop this and never come back. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

After the rough beginning of Nier Automata, I am starting to enjoy it more, but I don’t see myself playing through this multiple times. The combat is what you expect from a Platinum game. It’s fast and fluid but lacks weight. It’s also really busy on screen where it is hard to see exactly what is going on and devolves to button mashing. The camera doesn’t help either. FF7 Remake should arrive soon and I’ll probably drop this and never come back. 

If by playing through it multiple times you are referring to the multiple endings its not really playing through multiple times. You will tread over some of the same content, but you'll also play as different characters, in different situations, in different environments.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A bit more REmake this morning (online lecture which was a lot of talking, a lot less doing) and have acquired the shotgun, located the kerosene container and then after saving went on an exploration run and located the dog whistle and the lighter, so I'll replay that little bit later on and then go and grab a few items to throw in the item box. 

 

I've not used a guide/map so far, but I think I probably will end up doing so, more to keep a tab on things that I've found so far. 

 

Update: As always happens with RE games, just popped it on again to have a bit more of a go and now Richard has been given the serum, I've got the Armour key and I'm just milling around opening up things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

After the rough beginning of Nier Automata, I am starting to enjoy it more, but I don’t see myself playing through this multiple times. The combat is what you expect from a Platinum game. It’s fast and fluid but lacks weight. It’s also really busy on screen where it is hard to see exactly what is going on and devolves to button mashing. The camera doesn’t help either. FF7 Remake should arrive soon and I’ll probably drop this and never come back. 

I just finished Automata recently and I really liked the opening 'stage' and once the open world-ish structure hit, it became a snoozefest a few hours in and I thought the combat constantly did devolve into button mashing due to idiotic camera angle choices, tons of on-screen clutter and whatever else they crammed in there. I felt like there was a really cool linear Action game in there unfortunately crammed into that endless-fetch-quest kind of generic RPG structure. It's definitely an appealing game in many ways but it dropped the ball too frequently and too hard in many areas to where I played it to the first ending, then read there are like twenty fucking endings, and I just dropped it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A combination of terrible unproductivity and some actual extra free time and I've now also gone through Far Cry New Dawn. ~10 hours to do some of everything and complete the story.

 

I liked New Dawn much better than 5. The lack of kidnappings helped, but most of all there was a much better sense of progression and a path through it. Enemies got harder, you needed better guns, which you got by doing stuff out in the world and upgrading your base, etc. It's a very harmonious feedback loop for an open world game, especially when it doesn't needlessly rip you out of that open world at periodic intervals.

 

I liked the slightly higher difficulty and that some of the OP stuff (helicopters with guns, slienced weapons) were harder to get, pushing you through that play loop. I do wish they'd worked some of the outposts into the story better. Given the recapture mechanic, it's odd that the baddies didn't recapture outposts either after a set amount of time or during the story. Maybe it's just a matter of not being a full numbered entry, but it felt like there's a lot of potential untouched. It also seems odd that in a world where guns are literally crafted out of junk that there wasn't a way to modify weapons nearly as much as in 5. Maybe not allowing a silencer on every gun is a good thing, but it would have been nice if you could put a bigger clip or different sight on some of them.

 

There was also a crazy difficulty spike with the end bosses that seems bizarre. I used a silenced purple rifle that would mow down top level enemies with the armor piercing rounds and it hardly touched the end bosses. I went back with a golden LMG and they were a piece of cake. If anything, I kinda wish there had been more reason to craft one earlier.

 

Also, it ran pretty well. Ultra @ 4K and things were smooth and looked good with only a few hiccups. If I were a completionist I could easily double the time spent in game, but I feel like I got my $5 worth. 

 

 

After playing through Odyssey and these two Far Cry games, I feel like Far Cry is not nearly as polished as it should be. Ubisoft has made 10 of them, and while some things show that maturity, much of them feel half baked or ill-considered. Maybe Far Cry just doesn't get as much dev time because it doesn't sell as well and they're trying to make as big a game as possible, but for whatever the reason, I really think a bit more time and thought could help these games tremendously. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Started Route B in Nier Automata.  I am doing the main quests only and ignoring the rest as I try to crank it out. Going through the story a second time, which I never do, is slowly deteriorating my opinion of the first playthrough.  The additional story bits interspersed throughout Route B has yet to justify the repeat playing so far. Not sure I can stick it out much longer. 
 

Also, if you are going to make a hacking mini-game the main mechanic in Route B, it better be damn good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2020 at 4:45 PM, TwinIon said:

A combination of terrible unproductivity and some actual extra free time and I've now also gone through Far Cry New Dawn. ~10 hours to do some of everything and complete the story.

 

I liked New Dawn much better than 5. The lack of kidnappings helped, but most of all there was a much better sense of progression and a path through it. Enemies got harder, you needed better guns, which you got by doing stuff out in the world and upgrading your base, etc. It's a very harmonious feedback loop for an open world game, especially when it doesn't needlessly rip you out of that open world at periodic intervals.

 

I liked the slightly higher difficulty and that some of the OP stuff (helicopters with guns, slienced weapons) were harder to get, pushing you through that play loop. I do wish they'd worked some of the outposts into the story better. Given the recapture mechanic, it's odd that the baddies didn't recapture outposts either after a set amount of time or during the story. Maybe it's just a matter of not being a full numbered entry, but it felt like there's a lot of potential untouched. It also seems odd that in a world where guns are literally crafted out of junk that there wasn't a way to modify weapons nearly as much as in 5. Maybe not allowing a silencer on every gun is a good thing, but it would have been nice if you could put a bigger clip or different sight on some of them.

 

There was also a crazy difficulty spike with the end bosses that seems bizarre. I used a silenced purple rifle that would mow down top level enemies with the armor piercing rounds and it hardly touched the end bosses. I went back with a golden LMG and they were a piece of cake. If anything, I kinda wish there had been more reason to craft one earlier.

 

Also, it ran pretty well. Ultra @ 4K and things were smooth and looked good with only a few hiccups. If I were a completionist I could easily double the time spent in game, but I feel like I got my $5 worth. 

 

 

After playing through Odyssey and these two Far Cry games, I feel like Far Cry is not nearly as polished as it should be. Ubisoft has made 10 of them, and while some things show that maturity, much of them feel half baked or ill-considered. Maybe Far Cry just doesn't get as much dev time because it doesn't sell as well and they're trying to make as big a game as possible, but for whatever the reason, I really think a bit more time and thought could help these games tremendously. 

I seriously loved FC5. 

 

the kidnappings were the best part 

 

CULL THE HURD! Great Antagonist imo. I’ve been wanting to play New Dawn. 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2020 at 9:31 AM, Dre801 said:

May be grabbing and playing Saints Row The Third Remastered today;  sounds like they put a lot into it.  

I want It myself. But the price to me is steep for what’s essentially a better running upscaled version of a mediocre game. (Fun... but average). 

 

For $20. I’d do it. Not $40. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, maddux4163 said:

I want It myself. But the price to me is steep for what’s essentially a better running upscaled version of a mediocre game. (Fun... but average). 

 

For $20. I’d do it. Not $40. 

 

I wonder what will happen when it comes to steam. Only the non remaster is on steam the remaster is epic exclusive. Fun!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just surprised to find out that the HD Metal Gear Solid collection isn't on PS4. Wanted to replay the whole main series but I haven't broken out the PS3 in years. Let's see if it still works.

 

I've been playing Streets of Rage 4 a lot the past few days but the online has been sucking ass for me so I'm giving that a rest for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I’m midway through Chapter 2 of Witcher 2 on the “Roche” playthrough. Still somewhat not enjoying the mechanics of this one. Should I be doing an Ioveth playthrough too?  

I remember the first time I played The Witcher 2 I didn't enjoy the gameplay that much either because I was trying to play it like a typical action RPG. It doesn't play like that at all really and once I got into the flow of the game, I enjoyed the gameplay MUCH better. I've beaten the game twice i think and plan on doing a third playthrough once I force my way through the first game.  That one is a struggle for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2020 at 8:27 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I remember the first time I played The Witcher 2 I didn't enjoy the gameplay that much either because I was trying to play it like a typical action RPG. It doesn't play like that at all really and once I got into the flow of the game, I enjoyed the gameplay MUCH better. I've beaten the game twice i think and plan on doing a third playthrough once I force my way through the first game.  That one is a struggle for me.

I felt I was largely successful in combat playing the first game -- so, I think I was "playing it right".

 

However, in this second game -- I don't have the same feeling.  The mini-games I've played so far is super-easy (arm-wrestling, fist fighting), and one-on-one combat with parrying is really simple.  HOWEVER, the boss fights (particularly the one in the first chapter against Letho), and the scenes where I am swarmed by 5-6 enemies are pretty tough.  I've taken to dodging, running away until I get into a 1-on-1 situation, throwing an Aard sign, hitting him twice, roll-away and repeat. (Using a Swallow/Rook potion, and the appropriate oil on my blade.) To me, it feels like I am cheesing the game.  When I do this, and focus on taking "no hits at all" then I can beat the scenarios pretty easy.  But again, it doesn't feel satisfying -- so I have this feeling that "I'm not playing the game right".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I felt I was largely successful in combat playing the first game -- so, I think I was "playing it right".

 

However, in this second game -- I don't have the same feeling.  The mini-games I've played so far is super-easy (arm-wrestling, fist fighting), and one-on-one combat with parrying is really simple.  HOWEVER, the boss fights (particularly the one in the first chapter against Letho), and the scenes where I am swarmed by 5-6 enemies are pretty tough.  I've taken to dodging, running away until I get into a 1-on-1 situation, throwing an Aard sign, hitting him twice, roll-away and repeat. (Using a Swallow/Rook potion, and the appropriate oil on my blade.) To me, it feels like I am cheesing the game.  When I do this, and focus on taking "no hits at all" then I can beat the scenarios pretty easy.  But again, it doesn't feel satisfying -- so I have this feeling that "I'm not playing the game right".

Yeah Letho kicked my ass the first time I fought him in my first playthrough.  I can't remember what I did the second time, but I do remember him not being as hard. As far as multiple opponents go, I think what I realized is that you have to literally use everything at your disposal... signs,  traps, bombs, throwing knives, everything. The little arena mode the game has kinda teaches you this. Also a leveled up Geralt in W2 is nowhere near as squishy.  

I just remember my second playthrough being a lot more enjoyable than my first because I grasped the "flow" of the game if that makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally beat that God damned Guardian Ape today in Sekiro... I have such conflicting feelings about this game that I will elaborate on once I finish it but it increasingly feels like the game is just difficult for difficulty's sake. Looking to beat this game and get some perspective on it so that i can really pass judgement on it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finally beat that God damned Guardian Ape today in Sekiro... I have such conflicting feelings about this game that I will elaborate on once I finish it but it increasingly feels like the game is just difficult for difficulty's sake. Looking to beat this game and get some perspective on it so that i can really pass judgement on it.

I like, and even love, quite a few things about Sekiro but I think it legitimately is at meme-levels with From at this point and I think it got annoying with Sekiro. When a damn 3-health-bar boss with multiple phases can kill you easily with two shots and demands near complete perfection to beat, I just think it's become silly. I absolutely love the setting, atmosphere and regular combat but it often feels like 20 minutes of playing and another two days of roadblocks and bashing your head against a mountain of difficulty. There's a gulf between the actual levels' difficulty and the mini-bosses within them especially. 

 

I'd actually go so far as to say my initial playthrough, well I quit at the end boss, was unpleasant and the only thing pushing me forward were the aesthetics and atmosphere and my fanboy-ism for From. I actually really asked myself why the hell I even played it once I finally quit seeing how it put me in a shit mood and made me feel extremely frustrated after nearly every play session. I picked it up twice and played to a certain point when I stopped having fun, that's about it.  

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Finally beat that God damned Guardian Ape today in Sekiro... I have such conflicting feelings about this game that I will elaborate on once I finish it but it increasingly feels like the game is just difficult for difficulty's sake. Looking to beat this game and get some perspective on it so that i can really pass judgement on it.

I want to get it eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm currently giving The Last Of Us: Remastered a second shot. I powered through the insanely boring first hour or more and I enjoy the gameplay now that things are picking up a bit but I still have trouble with this structure and pacing. I keep hoping the AI partners get killed somehow in the story and I get to play the game by myself without interruptions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still some COD MW19. 
 

trying to pick up FF7R again but I’m just not finding it as good as I hoped. I think I’m on chapter 12 so well past the halfway point (i think) and i just feel like there hasn’t been a ton of story progression to keep my attention. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...