What are you playing today?

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Go ahead .... I’m listening. Lol

What kind of a game is this?

I'm so glad you asked cause I am dying to talk about this game :)

It's a strategy game like advance wars, but you have a team of just three mechs with various abilities. Each attempt of the campaign ends in victory, or you fail and your three pilots go back in time to the beginning to try again, and you can choose one of them to retain their learned skills. 

You can unlock other squads of mechs with totally different abilities that require different playstyles, and pairing them with different unlockable pilots adds to the strategy. There are four islands to conquer, each broken into a section of stages, and after clearing each island you can upgrade and customize your mechs and pilots. 

Each map is objective based, so you have to balance killing enemies, keeping your civilian buildings alive, keeping your mechs alive and completing the objective. As the stages get harder and harder it becomes more a game of making hard choices, smart sacrifices and puzzling out how to mitigate losses rather than just wiping the enemy out. Maybe losing this building is OK if it means I complete the objective, or maybe I pass on the objective to keep everyone alive. 

One of the mechs is just a defenseless little floating bot with a grappling hook that can move an enemy. At first I thought it was almost a joke unit, completely useless. By the end of my run I realized it was the mvp unit, dragging enemies into environmental hazards, pulling attackers off their target or moving a friendly unit out of danger. 

The game can be tough as nails though. You make a wrong move and your campaign may be over in a single turn. Things can really get out of control the further you go on. But that's OK - the game isn't meant to be completed, it's meant to be replayed over and over and over again. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I watched some YouTube gameplay videos and man does it look intimidating. I’m sure it’s because I’m watching instead of actually playing it. But I’m seriously confused. :lol:

Yeah, it took me a few runs for it to click. But once it did, man, I'm hooked. 

52 minutes ago, mo1518 said:

Yeah, it took me a few runs for it to click. But once it did, man, I'm hooked. 

Looks good. I can imagine it looks kick ass in handheld mode. How much is it? I could check myself since I’m playing right now in handheld mode watching football but I’m lazy. Lol

I need to download Captain Toad Treasure Tracker too. 

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

Looks good. I can imagine it looks kick ass in handheld mode. How much is it? I could check myself since I’m playing right now in handheld mode watching football but I’m lazy. Lol

I need to download Captain Toad Treasure Tracker too. 

Think it's $15 for Americans. 

I’ve been playing Chrono Trigger on my phone during work breaks. It’s obviously not the ideal way to play it, but I’m more or less comfortable with the touch controls now. 

It it works surprisingly well as a game you can play for 15-20 minutes and feel like you’ve made some real progress.

Just beat The Evil Within 2! Better gameplay mechanics than the first game, along with better graphics and other production values. But, it somehow just wasn't as weird as the first game. At times it had striking visual moments, but overall I think the first game is the more memorable of the two, which is funny because I "liked" 2 a bit more. they are an odd pair of games. 1 is more distinctive, 2 is the better made game. 

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Just beat The Evil Within 2! Better gameplay mechanics than the first game, along with better graphics and other production values. But, it somehow just wasn't as weird as the first game. At times it had striking visual moments, but overall I think the first game is the more memorable of the two, which is funny because I "liked" 2 a bit more. they are an odd pair of games. 1 is more distinctive, 2 is the better made game. 

2 is better in just about every single way.

Probably just Monster Hunter on the switch.

I beat Shenmue over the weekend, and dont want to start Shenmue 2 until after I beat Spider Man. Whenever gamefly decides to ship my copy.  I'm in zero rush for it.  I know it's going to be fun, but I just have zero hype for the webslinger. Even after seeing all the super glowing reviews.