What are you playing today?

I finished Katamari Forever but still have 8% collection completion to go. Since it's a replay I wasn't sure if I'd bother (got the Platinum trophy back in 2009) but since I got that stupid cowbear it shouldn't be a problem to finish the rest of the collection.

I finally started playing Grand Theft Auto IV in earnest. I've had the game for years, of course (came out in 2008, probably bought it in 2011 or so). I'm only about 2 or 3 hours in but it feels like all I'm doing are taxi missions so far. I guess it's building up. :shrug:

28 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I finally started playing Grand Theft Auto IV in earnest. I've had the game for years, of course (came out in 2008, probably bought it in 2011 or so). I'm only about 2 or 3 hours in but it feels like all I'm doing are taxi missions so far. I guess it's building up. :shrug:

I played that for a couple of hours myself years ago when GFWL was still in the game.

• Halal 1

Really enjoying Valhalla as my new main game, I’m idk like 1/4th in? I’m still just making kings happen, not sure who the real big bad in this one is going to be yet.

I

started an affair with my brothers wife

and I’m curious if that actually leads to real drama! But I liked her so idk I felt I should go for it.

Where I left off yesterday I am doing a dream sequence in Asgard which is pretty cool, and awesome looking. Does this kind of of act as a prequel to the Raganock expansion? This is the same concept with your character being Odin and more realistic depictions of the other gods as that is isn’t it?

Game can look so stunning sometimes, really hope ubi gets RT GI at some point this gen, the lighting is always what betrays the rest of the scene sometimes imo, it’s always certain times of day where these games shine.

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

Really enjoying Valhalla as my new main game, I’m idk like 1/4th in? I’m still just making kings happen, not sure who the real big bad in this one is going to be yet.

I

Reveal hidden contents

and I’m curious if that actually leads to real drama! But I liked her so idk I felt I should go for it.

Where I left off yesterday I am doing a dream sequence in Asgard which is pretty cool, and awesome looking. Does this kind of of act as a prequel to the Raganock expansion? This is the same concept with your character being Odin and more realistic depictions of the other gods as that is isn’t it?

Game can look so stunning sometimes, really hope ubi gets RT GI at some point this gen, the lighting is always what betrays the rest of the scene sometimes imo, it’s always certain times of day where these games shine.

I loved Valhalla and its gorgeous looking. I couldn't beat it though because it's just too damn big. I thought the dream sequence in Asgard was very cool and beautiful to look at too. I can't wait to see the next Creed game with a smaller scale with incredible visuals. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I loved Valhalla and its gorgeous looking. I couldn't beat it though because it's just too damn big. I thought the dream sequence in Asgard was very cool and beautiful to look at too. I can't wait to see the next Creed game with a smaller scale with incredible visuals. 

its definitely a game I can see someone enjoying and never finishing it since while it’s so long it has all these sagas that are like their own self contained stories. Im not confident in the next AC being smaller in scope especially if the next one is still that Infinity live service type one.

It’s crazy how after people started to get a bit burned out by the size of these with Odyssey  they made comments like they will tone it down for the next one then they went and just like fucking doubled the size of Odyssey.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

its definitely a game I can see someone enjoying and never finishing it since while it’s so long it has all these sagas that are like their own self contained stories. Im not confident in the next AC being smaller in scope especially if the next one is still that Infinity live service type one.

It’s crazy how after people started to get a bit burned out by the size of these with Odyssey  they made comments like they will tone it down for the next one then they went and just like fucking doubled the size of Odyssey.

The difference between Odyssey and Valhalla for me is that I didn’t want Odyssey to end, but I wanted Valhalla to. By the way, when I speak of Odyssey it’s strictly playing as Kassandra and not as her dopey brother Alexios. I say this because I wouldn’t have wanted to play one minute of Odyssey if I had to play as Alexios, that’s how much that I despise him as a character. With that out of the way, Odyssey wasn’t really an Assassin’s Creed game to me. It should have been a separate game from the series called The Adventures of Kassandra the Eagle Bearer, because that’s basically what it was to me. I pretty much ignored the modern day sci-fi stuff in it like I usually do in the AC games, because it’s basically nonsense to me. Odyssey’s main storyline isn’t that compelling IMO, and it’s a little on the short side. The game to me is a mercenary for hire sim, the bulk of its content are the side quests. They’re almost all individual character quests separate from the main story, and they’re often humorous. The game never really felt like it took itself too seriously, it had an almost comedic vibe to it a lot of the time. Kassandra is often snarky, and her voice actress is perfect. I loved playing as her, she’s one of my favorite video game characters. If Ubisoft continued to make new content for the game then I would keep playing it, because that’s how much that I like the game. I was never bored while playing, and it never dragged. It was constantly fun to me, and I loved it’s colorful world.

Valhalla on the other hand isn’t quite as fun to play, it’s world isn’t as appealing to me and it takes itself a little too seriously a lot of the time. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the game but for me it’s a more dark and serious story driven game compared to Odyssey. The main story and characters are both really strong, better than Odyssey’s IMO. But it’s all about its main story, it offers very little in terms of actual side quests. It’s very story and character focused, and the story is long. Like you said, it has a lot of individual sagas and they’re lengthy. They just keep going and going. The game is absolutely packed with story content, and there’s even more with its DLC. As much as I enjoy the story, it becomes a bit heavy and is a lot to take in. There’s not much else to do to take a break from it, and it’s lacking the somewhat silly tone to lighten things up like Odyssey had.

This is my opinion of the two games, I like them both but Odyssey is the better game overall IMO. Valhalla has the stronger story and cast of characters, but from a pure fun factor standpoint Odyssey is the more entertaining to play between the two. If they released new content for Odyssey I would buy it on day one because I would love to spend more time with Kassandra in Greece, but I have no interest in playing Valhalla anymore. I got my fill of it, and have no desire for more.

I finally finished the first release for Voice of Cards yesterday. I love the world, characters, design and game mechanics but by the end was a bit of a drag and the final fight while cool was also a bit of a drag. Not to mention the game isn't really all that difficult by the end (the NPC that kick your ass no more than 1/2 chapters earlier are so weak in the end, =/). I'm gonna pick up the second game in the series that came out earlier in the year but will probably wait a few months before I do and will just play something else instead (I've still got the great ace attorney, Persona Strikers & SMT 5 waiting to be played).

I've been playing a great Metroidvania called "Dark Light", very polished despite still being in Early Access. 

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1651718421
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Dark Light is a Sci-fi platformer, Metroidvania, souls-like game. As a Dark-Hunter, you will explore the apocalypse world full of supernatural beings, some of them are only visible in the light source of your drones. Kill, gain, upgrade, build skills and get stronger in the dark world!

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

The difference between Odyssey and Valhalla for me is that I didn’t want Odyssey to end, but I wanted Valhalla to. By the way, when I speak of Odyssey it’s strictly playing as Kassandra and not as her dopey brother Alexios. I say this because I wouldn’t have wanted to play one minute of Odyssey if I had to play as Alexios, that’s how much that I despise him as a character. With that out of the way, Odyssey wasn’t really an Assassin’s Creed game to me. It should have been a separate game from the series called The Adventures of Kassandra the Eagle Bearer, because that’s basically what it was to me. I pretty much ignored the modern day sci-fi stuff in it like I usually do in the AC games, because it’s basically nonsense to me. Odyssey’s main storyline isn’t that compelling IMO, and it’s a little on the short side. The game to me is a mercenary for hire sim, the bulk of its content are the side quests. They’re almost all individual character quests separate from the main story, and they’re often humorous. The game never really felt like it took itself too seriously, it had an almost comedic vibe to it a lot of the time. Kassandra is often snarky, and her voice actress is perfect. I loved playing as her, she’s one of my favorite video game characters. If Ubisoft continued to make new content for the game then I would keep playing it, because that’s how much that I like the game. I was never bored while playing, and it never dragged. It was constantly fun to me, and I loved it’s colorful world.

Valhalla on the other hand isn’t quite as fun to play, it’s world isn’t as appealing to me and it takes itself a little too seriously a lot of the time. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the game but for me it’s a more dark and serious story driven game compared to Odyssey. The main story and characters are both really strong, better than Odyssey’s IMO. But it’s all about its main story, it offers very little in terms of actual side quests. It’s very story and character focused, and the story is long. Like you said, it has a lot of individual sagas and they’re lengthy. They just keep going and going. The game is absolutely packed with story content, and there’s even more with its DLC. As much as I enjoy the story, it becomes a bit heavy and is a lot to take in. There’s not much else to do to take a break from it, and it’s lacking the somewhat silly tone to lighten things up like Odyssey had.

This is my opinion of the two games, I like them both but Odyssey is the better game overall IMO. Valhalla has the stronger story and cast of characters, but from a pure fun factor standpoint Odyssey is the more entertaining to play between the two. If they released new content for Odyssey I would buy it on day one because I would love to spend more time with Kassandra in Greece, but I have no interest in playing Valhalla anymore. I got my fill of it, and have no desire for more.

I started a save on Odyssey as Kasandra and own the version with all the dlc on pc but when I started it, I think it was too close to Origins for me. A lighter AC does sound fun, some of the older ones were actually pretty light for a lot of them. Valhalla does seem like it’s chasing a more serious plot, though, I still have not seen much of its hand I feel as far as the overarching plot in it. But yeah, maybe I’ll be feeling more up to Odyssey again some day and will tackle it on deck or something.

I primarily chose this one when deciding I wanted to play an AC game in my bedroom after work because I can carry the same save over to my living room tv/pc and play it there on the weekends. I generally enjoy all the AC games, It’s just a matter of balancing them so it’s not too many too soon for me. I even really enjoyed Unity which is kind of the black sheep. The only one I really couldn’t get into is Black Flag because I’m not here for ship combat, and to a lesser degree AC3 because it takes so damn long to start that I still need to beat that one and also because of the ships.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

I generally enjoy all the AC games, It’s just a matter of balancing them so it’s not too many too soon for me. I even really enjoyed Unity which is kind of the black sheep. The only one I really couldn’t get into is Black Flag because I’m not here for ship combat, and to a lesser degree AC3 because it takes so damn long to start that I still need to beat that one and also because of the ships.

Black Flag is one of the only Assassin’s Creed games that I played but didn’t finish because there was too much of an emphasis on ship traversal, combat and upgrading. I didn’t mind the ship stuff in Assassin’s Creed III too much because it wasn’t a big part of it, and I found the few times that I had to do it somewhat fun. But they made it too big of a focus in Black Flag, and I didn’t like that. There’s some ship traversal and combat in Odyssey, but it’s not a big part of the game and it’s done well. It’s actually fun to traverse the oceans of Greece in it, and the combat is pretty cool too.

By the way, I think that I remember you saying that Syndicate is your favorite Assassin’s Creed game. It’s one of my favorites, too. Odyssey was developed by the same team, they’re also the team that developed Immortals: Fenyx Rising which is a game that you like as well if I’m not mistaken.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

Black Flag is one of the only Assassin’s Creed games that I played but didn’t finish because there was too much of an emphasis on ship traversal, combat and upgrading. I didn’t mind the ship stuff in Assassin’s Creed III too much because it wasn’t a big part of it, and I found the few times that I had to do it somewhat fun. But they made it too big of a focus in Black Flag, and I didn’t like that. There’s some ship traversal and combat in Odyssey, but it’s not a big part of the game and it’s done well. It’s actually fun to traverse the oceans of Greece in it, and the combat is pretty cool too.

By the way, I think that I remember you saying that Syndicate is your favorite Assassin’s Creed game. It’s one of my favorites, too. Odyssey was developed by the same team, they’re also the team that developed Immortals: Fenyx Rising which is a game that you like as well if I’m not mistaken.

I did not realize that was the same team! Makes sense, yeah I loved Fenyx and Syndicate might be my favorite, though Origins is close. Syndicate I really felt like an Assassin more so than the other games, and it was a really fun story. I thought playing (as Evie especially) in stealth was a blast and something that hasn’t felt as good since.

I agree that Valhalla was too long. 

Spoiler

In Odyssey, all the Greek mythology was basically DLC content. In Valhalla, Ubisoft decided to add the Norse mythology to the main game. The only way I could finish it was to skip most of it. 

AC is the last thing Ubisoft makes that I actually like. I look forward to them messing that up. 

I did what I think is the first half of the Asgard  saga today, i really enjoyed that. I could see wanting enough of that to want to play the expansion but probably not after actually finishing all of this tho who knowz. 

Seems like the story is about to pick up

I’m starting to fight with my brother and it seems he thinks he is a God now? Maybe he ends up being the big bad? But the assassins are good right and he’s been led by one hmmmmmmmmmm

so everything is pretty great atm.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Syndicate I really felt like an Assassin more so than the other games, and it was a really fun story. I thought playing (as Evie especially) in stealth was a blast and something that hasn’t felt as good since.

I agree, Evie is another one of my favorite video game characters. She’s a badass assassin with a cane blade. I only played as Jacob in Syndicate when it was mandatory, otherwise I played as Evie. I would like a side game with her as the main character.

2 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

AC is the last thing Ubisoft makes that I actually like.

What about Far Cry? I thought that Far Cry 6 was really good, but I feel that it’s time for them to change up the formula a bit.

• Halal 1

Sorry for the off screen pic but Windows needs an easy universal screenshot and post to twitter option like I have on all the consoles. As a pc tv gamer the current options are too annoying, if I have to pick up my keyboard then it’s not happening.

But anyway I just had to share this cat I played with in Valhalla lmao look at him:

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Sorry for the off screen pic but Windows needs an easy universal screenshot and post to twitter option like I have on all the consoles. As a pc tv gamer the current options are too annoying, if I have to pick up my keyboard then it’s not happening.

Turn on the game bar if you dare :skull:

Just bought Divinity II Original Sin Definitive Edition on switch! Really hope it runs well, excited to play this game...Kind of sucks because this are all potential Steam Deck purchases but I'm in the hurry up and wait crowd still. Most of the Games I'm buying on Switch I feel would be better enjoyed on SD, and My 512Gig card in the switch is full now too! This HURTS as now I need 2 OF THESE!!!

5 hours ago, HardAct said:

Just bought Divinity II Original Sin Definitive Edition on switch! Really hope it runs well, excited to play this game...Kind of sucks because this are all potential Steam Deck purchases but I'm in the hurry up and wait crowd still. Most of the Games I'm buying on Switch I feel would be better enjoyed on SD, and My 512Gig card in the switch is full now too! This HURTS as now I need 2 OF THESE!!!

Oh man, you should have bought Divinity 2 on any other console or pc, the switch version is terrible. Its one of my favorite CRPG's, and still, the switch version wasn't worth the 11.50$ I paid for it.  (Unless its been fixed since, but I had a troubled time with it on Switch).

Amazing game, but had console choice. 

On 4/29/2022 at 2:10 AM, Phaseknox said:

Tales of Berseria is quite good, it’s well paced with a pretty good story, cast of characters and battle system. Scarlet Nexus is pretty good too, but the last areas drag on for too long and the last few bosses are frustratingly difficult. Ys VIII is really good. It has an entertaining story, a colorful cast of characters, a fun real-time action battle system and great music.

I beat Berseria and Arise while I was away working. I enjoyed Berseria, but it's combat was really long in the tooth, which as a tales fan, im sure you know. But I did enjoy the story and characters. It went different places than Tales usually does, and I enjoyed my time in the world, but it felt... old.

OTOH, I absolutely loved Tales Of Arise from start to finish. I loved the characters, the simple story, the different kingdoms. The combat was some of the best in the genre, and just as good as FF7R imo. Of course it's full of jrpg tropes, but that's to be expected. I was interested in Shionne and Alphens journey from start to finish, even when I saw most of the twists coming.

6 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Oh man, you should have bought Divinity 2 on any other console or pc, the switch version is terrible. Its one of my favorite CRPG's, and still, the switch version wasn't worth the 11.50$ I paid for it.  (Unless its been fixed since, but I had a troubled time with it on Switch).

Amazing game, but had console choice. 

Yea

I've had the game on my wishlist for a very long time and was just looking for a long game to play on switch. I also have Xenoblade 3 preordered for switch and am just hoping it runs well. Looking forward to diving into D2 and I'll buy it on steam if it grabs me....I am now having to archive games to make room for games and I hate that. Though Extreme 1tb sd cards are spendy and looks like I need one for Steam Deck {Eventually getting my preordered 512 version someday this year} and one for my Switch....

38 minutes ago, HardAct said:

Yea

I've had the game on my wishlist for a very long time and was just looking for a long game to play on switch. I also have Xenoblade 3 preordered for switch and am just hoping it runs well. Looking forward to diving into D2 and I'll buy it on steam if it grabs me....I am now having to archive games to make room for games and I hate that. Though Extreme 1tb sd cards are spendy and looks like I need one for Steam Deck {Eventually getting my preordered 512 version someday this year} and one for my Switch....

After price and performance the track pads are the biggest advantage of the Deck. It's perfect for CRPGs between the track pads for mouse use and every button is customizable so you can bind them to the corresponding hotkeys on a keyboard.

17 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I beat Berseria and Arise while I was away working. I enjoyed Berseria, but it's combat was really long in the tooth, which as a tales fan, im sure you know. But I did enjoy the story and characters. It went different places than Tales usually does, and I enjoyed my time in the world, but it felt... old.

I’m glad that you enjoyed it. BTW, it felt old because it is old. :p It originally came out for the PS3 (Japan only).

17 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I absolutely loved Tales Of Arise from start to finish. I loved the characters, the simple story, the different kingdoms. The combat was some of the best in the genre, and just as good as FF7R imo. Of course it's full of jrpg tropes, but that's to be expected. I was interested in Shionne and Alphens journey from start to finish, even when I saw most of the twists coming.

I have it, but I haven’t played it yet. I’m glad to hear that you loved it, now I’m really looking forward to playing it.

• Halal 1

Tried a bit of Greak last night. I know reviews have dogged it a bit, though I haven’t read into why.  Could be the playable character switching mechanic gets annoying.

But damn does this game look (and sound!) good.  It’s like if Hollow Knight had some Ori injected into it.

11 hours ago, best3444 said:

Played 4 hours of cyberpunk today. Fuckin awesome game imo.

I REALLY LIKED CYBERPUNK! It ran just wonderfully on my aging gaming system. I only saw a couple glitches, and a few crashes but I bought it 3 months after release and a lot had been fixed by then thankfully! i7 9700k and a RTX 2080ti both with mild overclocks held 60fps just fine with 1440p, some Raytracing on and DLSS on with Vsync.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I loved CP2077. I put almost 100 hours in it. The only recent game I did that with is Elden Ring (140 hours and counting). 

I'm taking my time with this game and doing all side quests. I know you have a nice rig but you should check it out on your xsx or ps5. Patch 1.5 basically made the game seem complete like a final build should have looked like at its initial release. 

• Halal 1