What are you playing today?

Still making my way through Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars. I'm getting close to the end, I want to get the follow up game but the end of this game is starting to drag a little so I think i'll wait a while before I try to play it (I do enjoy that these games are over all on the short side). I also started playing a bit of Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania but sadly the game just doesn't feel the same anymore, I feel I might regret this one (but eh it was kind of cheap on amazon anyways).

I'm also playing a few random PSP games on my psp2k. Yet i'm debating if I'm just interested in playing a PSP atm or if I actually want to go back and play some games which would probably be better to play on a Vita TV. It's a bit of both atm. =/

On 5/2/2022 at 1:38 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I've gotten back to Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, so I'll be playing more of that today. Maybe some Triangle Strategy.

last night very late I launched Ratchet & Clank: A rift Apart for the first time on my 83" Lgc1 and I was blown away, truly a visual masterpiece. I'll admit I didn't play it though, just wanted to see how it looked......

• Halal 2

I’ve been playing Shenmue II, and I’m enjoying it a lot more than the first game. It feels more like an actual adventure game instead of an interactive story like the first game did. The pacing is a lot better, you don’t have to wait until certain times of the day to advance in it. Also, there’s a more colorful and interesting cast of characters, the dialogue and voice acting are a little better and the game world is a lot bigger and more varied.

49 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I’ve been playing Shenmue II, and I’m enjoying it a lot more than the first game. It feels more like an actual adventure game instead of an interactive story like the first game did. The pacing is a lot better, you don’t have to wait until certain times of the day to advance in it. Also, there’s a more colorful and interesting cast of characters, the dialogue and voice acting are a little better and the game world is a lot bigger and more varied.

Right now I'm still trucking through Borderlands 3 on Steam {Managed an impressive 3 1/2 hours tonight} before I tackle Elden Ring ON XSX and the 7 games I bought for the PS5 to get me started. "LOL.....Get Me STARTED" That's easily enough gaming for this entire year, oh and II have Xeno Blade Chronicles 3 switch pre-ordered that should be a 80+ hour game too....

So I’ve been reading Batman graphic novels and it’s really given me the itch to go back and play a Batman game. I already replayed Arkham Asylum and Arkham City years back, so I decided to replay Arkham Origins. Dunno how long I’ll stick with it, but it’s given me the fix. 

Playing on PC, since duh. Only getting around 200fps maxed out, lol. 

This weekend I split my time between two games, the first is "Dolmen" which is a janky marriage of DS and a Metroid style theme and atmosphere. It is just OK. I'm somehow in an early access period (maybe I backed it?) as this game releases on May 20th. The second game is "Lunacid" and bills itself as "a first person dungeon crawler inspired by old FROMSOFT games like Shadow Tower and King's Field" which it pulls off really well! This is one of those games where the fact that they chose to emulate a PS1 game's graphics is at first jarring but you get over it and really after 2 hours I just stopped caring all together. Fun little love letter to the before Dark Souls days. 

Started Valhalla back up on XSX, got my save carried over from when I started on pc so I’m already in England. Looks great on current gen, really cool seeing AC at 60fps on console and still looking so nice. Since I did beat Elden Ring, I’m going to try not to be too intimidated.

Also just love how I can play it on pc in my living room and carry it over to bed on my xsx. Every company needs to do this on every game. It was so seamless to continue right where I left off. I should beat Ghostwire this weekend and then I think this will be my main game.

Oh and I carried over my Avengers save to XSX as well and started the Black Panther campaign so I’ll probably go through that too.

• Halal 1

A bit of Star Trek: Elite Force II including a rather annoying zero gravity with a time limit level where getting up in the "air" is easy but coming back down is a pain. After almost finishing it but running out of time while trying to fall down to the last objective, I got fed up and enabled cheats so that I could use noclip to fly around.

Finished some levels in Baba is You but I'm at the point where most of them seem impossible so not much reward for the time spent. I was going to start  a replay of FFV PR but when I loaded my last save I discovered there was an update that gave me Gogo's bestiary entry which finished off the last 2 achievements. Then I started a replay of Katamari Forever.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:32 AM, stepee said:

Started Valhalla back up on XSX, got my save carried over from when I started on pc so I’m already in England. Looks great on current gen, really cool seeing AC at 60fps on console and still looking so nice. Since I did beat Elden Ring, I’m going to try not to be too intimidated.

Also just love how I can play it on pc in my living room and carry it over to bed on my xsx. Every company needs to do this on every game. It was so seamless to continue right where I left off. I should beat Ghostwire this weekend and then I think this will be my main game.

Oh and I carried over my Avengers save to XSX as well and started the Black Panther campaign so I’ll probably go through that too.

Same for me on AC Valhalla. I’ve already put about 25hrs into it and am still very into it. But I’ve always been fascinated with Viking lore and medieval England so, yea no brainer. The AI can be total morons but possibly my favorite AC game so far.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

42 minutes ago, nublood said:

Same for me on AC Valhalla. I’ve already put about 25hrs into it and am still very into it. But I’ve always been fascinated with Viking lore and medieval England so, yea no brainer. The AI can be total morons but possibly my favorite AC game so far.

Glad you're enjoying it. Valhalla is a phenomenal game imo and might actually be my favorite of them all. But, yes, the enemy AI in combat or stealth is lacking significantly. The AI for your allies is brain dead, too. Still great game lol

5 hours ago, nublood said:

Have you played Odyssey? I personally like it more than Valhalla myself. I found it more fun to play with better combat, ship sailing and I really like its big colorful world. But only playing as Kassandra and not as Alexios, because Alexios is lame. He shouldn’t even be an option. Kassandra is one of my favorite video game characters. I really like Valhalla as well and I feel that it has a stronger story than Odyssey, but I just didn’t find it quite as enjoyable overall.

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Valhalla is a phenomenal game imo and might actually be my favorite of them all.

You only like it more than Odyssey because you made the mistake of playing as Alexios instead of as Kassandra. :p

Started and finished Turnip Boy.

Now I'm trying to decide what's next.  I definitely want to be done with whatever I start before Xenoblade 3 is out in late July.  That said, any recs out of these?

Spoiler

WhlSQs0.jpg

iGUmcww.jpg

... forgot Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon too, I'd like to play it before I'd start 3 at some point.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:14 PM, Phaseknox said:

You only like it more than Odyssey because you made the mistake of playing as Alexios instead of as Kassandra. :p

That could be it but the forced leveling to progress was really frustrating too. Its been a while so I don't remember a ton. 

49 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Started and finished Turnip Boy.

Now I'm trying to decide what's next.  I definitely want to be done with whatever I start before Xenoblade 3 is out in late July.  That said, any recs out of these?

Reveal hidden contents

... forgot Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon too, I'd like to play it before I'd start 3 at some point.

Ill rep Mail Mole, you seem to be a 3D platformer fan and this is one of the few good indie ones that legit plays well.

Inmost was a really great limbo/inside like game with a good story and beautiful art and fun puzzles that never get too obtuse. 

Katana Zero is a great indie if you are looking for super meat boy but swords. 

But you have Minish Cap there, so maybe that. 

Surprised that someone here played Inmost, seems like a hidden gem.  Greak looks even more intriguing to me, but the reviews aren’t so great…

I’ve been on a bit of a Zelda-like roll lately, with Death’s Door and Turnip Boy.  But I also don’t want to burn out them, like I did after beating 3 Metroids back to back last year.  (Which is why Guacamelee 2 and Ori 2 are still on the back burner for me)

29 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Surprised that someone here played Inmost, seems like a hidden gem.  Greak looks even more intriguing to me, but the reviews aren’t so great…

I’ve been on a bit of a Zelda-like roll lately, with Death’s Door and Turnip Boy.  But I also don’t want to burn out them, like I did after beating 3 Metroids back to back last year.  (Which is why Guacamelee 2 and Ori 2 are still on the back burner for me)

Inmost was on Apple Arcade early on when it seemed like it was going to feature more games with some meat on them than it has since. I played it on my phone with kishi (switched to backbone since) like two years ago during commute/lunch breaks. Hasn’t been an iphone game that captivated me to play it to completion since.

Try mail mole and report!

Since its launch, the only game Ive been playing was Elden Ring and I finally finished it last night. Time has been limited to say the least. 

the good news is that today a massive new and free content drop just hit for Hell Let Loose - so I will be diving back in!

14 hours ago, stepee said:

Inmost was on Apple Arcade early on when it seemed like it was going to feature more games with some meat on them than it has since. I played it on my phone with kishi (switched to backbone since) like two years ago during commute/lunch breaks. Hasn’t been an iphone game that captivated me to play it to completion since.

Try mail mole and report!

Tried both last night.

Mail Mole - Beat the first two worlds and boss fights.  Jumping works more like a snowboarding or skateboarding game in my mind, where you hold a button, then release to hop.  It's fine for ramps, but kind of frustrating for precision platforming.  They could have also tuned the 'run' butter better here.  It feels too slow on its own, but slightly too fast when you time it for a boost on landing.

Visuals are rough at times.  There's polygonal-looking environments, like that world in Mario Odyssey, including all the collectables (weird).  And all the characters look like FNAF rejects.

ss_14cc35f45dfe3169739250373e99d8488f834

I'll keep going, since it's still better than some of the other budget 3D platformers I've tried and gave up on (thinking of Unbox here).

Inmost - It's really interesting.  There's almost a 2D Prince of Persia heft and length to the animations.  I can't say I've played anything like it with its visual style, it's much more more cinematic than I was expecting.  The Limbo comparison is apt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Tried both last night.

Mail Mole - Beat the first two worlds and boss fights.  Jumping works more like a snowboarding or skateboarding game in my mind, where you hold a button, then release to hop.  It's fine for ramps, but kind of frustrating for precision platforming.

Visuals are rough at times.  You've got polygonal-looking environments, like that world in Mario Odyssey, including all the collectables (weird).  And all the characters look like FNAF rejects.

ss_14cc35f45dfe3169739250373e99d8488f834

I'll keep going, since it's still better than some of the other budget 3D platformers I've tried and gave up on (thinking of Unbox here).

Inmost - It's really interesting.  There's almost a 2D Prince of Persia heft and length to the animations.  I can't say I've played anything like it with its visual style, it's much more more cinematic than I was expecting.  The Limbo comparison is apt.

lol the art in Mail Mole is kind of insane. It starts kinda easy but it definitely picks up and gets into some better challenges. And yeah unbox is DREADFUL. So mad I paid a premium on that when it first launched on switch still.

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

And yeah unbox is DREADFUL. So mad I paid a premium on that when it first launched on switch still.

I can't remember where I got it, probably in a bundle.  But yeah, everyone should stay away from that one.  Much more slapdash than the visuals suggest.  I almost never get motion sick in games, but Unbox made me feel ill.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

I can't remember where I got it, probably in a bundle.  But yeah, everyone should stay away from that one.  Much more slapdash than the visuals suggest.  I pretty much never get motion sick in games, but Unbox made me feel ill.

Slapdash is a good way to put it, it felt like it didn’t have any real thought put into design, like it was made by AI or something,

Whereas Mail Mole feels like someone really loved 3D World and wanted to make their own cute little 3D World game. It’s probably even lower budget but the person knows what they are trying to accomplish and understands the feel of the game they are trying to mimic somewhat.

• Halal 1

A little bit of PGA tour 2k/22 on ps4, just started Divinity 2 on pc, also a bit of forza5 on pc. Last night I played a bit of Disco Elysium:DC on series x! Have yet to devote any real time at all to the 9 games I have for my new ps5. I dont know exactly why, but not really even warmed it up other that 2.5 hours on Returnal. This after really really liking it too. I'll get there eventually though...

I started playing Leisure Suit Larry: Wet Dreams Don’t Dry, and I’ve been enjoying it. The last Leisure Suit Larry game that I played was Box Office Bust back in 2009. This one is a return to form as it’s a point-and-click adventure/puzzle game similar to the originals with you playing as Larry Laffer instead of as his nephew like in the two previous games. It’s nice to play a classic style LSL game again with hand drawn graphics, adult humor and clever key item puzzles.