What are you playing today?

CastlevaniaNut18

Started Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday. Played through the 1st mission. Visuals are incredible. The banter is amazing and hilarious. The gameplay is so-so. 

Question for people playing on a next-gen console - what graphical setting did you go with? For a game like this I dont care about 60FPS. So Im using quality mode now, but wondering if the ray tracing mode is a noticeable difference. 

24 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Started Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday. Played through the 1st mission. Visuals are incredible. The banter is amazing and hilarious. The gameplay is so-so. 

Question for people playing on a next-gen console - what graphical setting did you go with? For a game like this I dont care about 60FPS. So Im using quality mode now, but wondering if the ray tracing mode is a noticeable difference. 

Ray Tracing mode looks pretty nice. The Digital Foundry video does a good job of showcasing it.

Nearing the end of Sonic Colors and it’s a good Sonic game still but Planet Whisp didn’t have any levels as good as the other worlds imo so that was an unfortunate one for me to save for last.

I don’t know if the whole last world is going to do the annoying Sonic bump up the difficulty to 11 at the last minute to end on a sour note for me thing but the first level of it certainly is. 

The problem is when you have these super long sections in a row with no checkpoints is as I learn the beginning parts over and over again I get sooooooo bored. That’s the problem with difficulty spikes for me it’s just pure boredom. This would actually be a sweet looking level if it had checkpoints too sigh. I’ll play it tomorrow, I’d probably beat it in another 20 minutes but I need to refresh my frustration with it.

Seeing @dualhuntermention them got me back into the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters. I’m a decent way into 2 now. If I ever played an earlier version of this game, I don’t remember it at all. It’s fun, but I don’t know how much I like the class-less characters. My crew all just kinda do everything. If I get to a point in the late game where I really need specialization, I’m going to be frustrated.

25 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

Seeing @dualhuntermention them got me back into the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters. I’m a decent way into 2 now. If I ever played an earlier version of this game, I don’t remember it at all. It’s fun, but I don’t know how much I like the class-less characters. My crew all just kinda do everything. If I get to a point in the late game where I really need specialization, I’m going to be frustrated.

You don't really need much specialization. Pick a different primary weapon for each character. Most magic is useless so just use what you find useful. Hold on to weak weapons, if you want to level up weapons attack yourself with weak weapons, if you want to level up HP do the same with your best weapons. With lots of HP and high weapon skill you'll be fine. Healing magic (cure, esuna, basuna, life) is useful. Give each a different elemental attack spell for the occasional enemy that resists physical attacks but other than that Ultima is the only thing that does decent damage beyond the beginning of the game, even against bosses with elemental weaknesses physical attacks tend to be better. Attack boosting spells like haste and berserk can be useful if 1 character is doing lots of damage and the others aren't, in that case keep casting them on that character since they stack and the fight will be over soon.

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

About 7 hours into Star Wars fallen order and I'm thoroughly enjoying. I read it's roughly 15 hours to compete so I'm about half way through. Great game.

I have it currently downloaded on Series X, only gave it about 2 hours the first time I played then moved on. I plan on really giving it my full attension next time and see if it grabs me and can hold my attention!

15 hours ago, HardAct said:

I have it currently downloaded on Series X, only gave it about 2 hours the first time I played then moved on. I plan on really giving it my full attension next time and see if it grabs me and can hold my attention!

It definitely holds my attention because the pace is great. No wasted dialogue and shit gets right to the point. The exploration and puzzles are awesome and so is the combat. The game is laid out perfectly in terms of menus and upgrades etc. I just played 2 more hours and I'm on chapter 4 of 6. I recommend you give it another shot.

I finished Far Cry 6, and after dumping I don’t know how many hours into it I was in the mood for something really different so I started playing a little indie 2D side scrolling Metroidvania with 8-bit pixel art graphics and chiptunes called Alwa’s Awakening. It looks and plays like an authentic NES game, and it’s been giving me nostalgic warm and fuzzies from my youth. It’s cute and charming with action, platforming, and puzzle solving.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

I finished Far Cry 6, and after dumping I don’t know how many hours into it I was in the mood for something really different so I started playing a little indie 2D side scrolling Metroidvania with 8-bit pixel art graphics and chiptunes called Alwa’s Awakening. It looks and plays like an authentic NES game, and it’s been giving me nostalgic warm and fuzzies from my youth. It’s cute and charming with action, platforming, and puzzle solving.

The 16-bit style sequel Alwa's Legacy is even better.

On 1/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, atom631 said:

• Like 1

Finally started Halo Infinite… made it past the Tower section… the grappling mechanic is addictive… though I definitely miss some of the mobility options from Halo 5..

Figured I’d start this after GR: Breakpoint just failed its last chance..  I have the new Tombraider games waiting in the wings

On 1/14/2022 at 1:29 PM, dualhunter said:

The 16-bit style sequel Alwa's Legacy is even better.

Yeah, I watched a gameplay trailer for it and it looks like they addressed some of the things that people didn’t particularly like about the first game such as the basic combat, slow movement and floaty jumping. These are things that I’ve been finding somewhat troublesome with the game as well since the design of it often requires quick and precise movement and jumping which isn’t possible with the somewhat sluggish controls which unfortunately lead to a lot of underserved deaths as a result. The gameplay in the sequel looks a lot faster, snappier and fun. I’m definitely going to buy it when it goes on sale at the PS Store.

Skyrim.  I'm probably gonna be playing it off and on for a long time.  It takes me forever these days to finish games like this.  I played Fallout 4 off and on for over two years before I finally finished it.

31 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Finished Lost Judgment and started up RDR 2 for the second time. I didn’t get before I quit so I decided to restart and give it another chance. 

RD2 is so beautiful. The story, characters, ai, and gaming world is off the charts. Once you adjust to the controls and combat it's in my opinion a masterpiece. 

16 hours ago, best3444 said:

i saw this and switched to ray tracing. 

this game is really beautiful and just plain fun.  Im on chapter 7 now and Im smiling the entire time im playing. Ive never card so much about characters before. The banter really brings them to life and i think really makes this game stand apart from other action games. The combat is growing on me more but I still dont find it amazing. 

• True 1

I started playing Alchemist Adventure, and it’s a pretty good isometric view action adventure game. It’s a little rough around the edges here and there, but I’m finding it to be somewhat entertaining since the core gameplay is fun.

Continuing my Dying Light run on the Xbox (beat it the first time on PS4). Also some Dark Souls 2 and Halo sprinkled in. On the last boss in Resident Evil Village so i might give that a couple of tries although I have little motivation to beat the game at this point. I'm waaaaay out of the loop on this game apparently.

Back to Perfect Dark, second to last mission. I wandered around for ages trying to see what to do. Turns out, I needed to blow up three relatively unassuming terminals to lower some shields, then the alien was one hit killed and I failed the mission. Classic gaming at its best.

I also had a little temptation of buying a new Xbox 360 controller to buy and play the Gears games and Halo 3. Then I remembered I have no time for playing new games much less replaying games I owned when I was 17 so had a word with myself and now I won’t be doing that.

11 hours ago, best3444 said:

Played 3 more hours of Valhalla. It's really polished now and it looks and runs amazingly well on the xsx. It's a damn good game I don't care what anyone thinks. 

Im almost done with GOTG (on chapter 13) and I was thinking of going back to Valhalla  after Im done. My only concern is I dont want to get open-world burnout right before Forbidden West drops. As for Valhalla, I have 34hrs clocked in already

Spoiler

Im just after that first Midgard section that really felt like a slog running around collecting all those things (forget what they were) for 3 skills points. lol

but in typical AssCreed fashion, I get to a point where i feel like: ok, this basically what this game has to offer, nothing is going to be a significant change for the next 20-30hrs. I then just stop playing and never go back. Have done that with every single one except AssCreed II which I finished and actually 100%. I have no idea why THAT one did it for me..but I absolutely loved it.