Boy Scouts of America, hobbled by multiple sex-abuse lawsuits, files for bankruptcy protection

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/boy-scouts-america-hobbled-multiple-sex-abuse-lawsuits-declares-bankruptcy-n1125026

Facing mounting legal costs from defending itself against lawsuits alleging sexual abuse of boys, the venerable nonprofit sought Chapter 11 protection in a court filing early Tuesday.

A spokesman for the Boy Scouts of America said in a statement that the filing had "two key objectives: equitably compensate victims who were harmed during their time in Scouting and continue carrying out its mission for years to come. The BSA intends to use the Chapter 11 process to create a Victims Compensation Trust that would provide equitable compensation to victims."

The Boy Scouts said that only the national organization had filed for Chapter 11 and that local councils that provide programming and other services are financially independent.

I was a boy scout and I loved it... well, not so much the scouting part, but I liked being in the woods with my friends and I did learn a lot.

That said, I had my son in cub scouts for a few years and it SUPER SUCKED. I really don't like the Boy Scouts as an organization, so fuck em. Whatever.