Masters of the Universe: Revolution (continuation of story from Revelation) - Official Trailer (Netflix, 25 January 2024)

27 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Seeing online the far-right manbabies are in an uproar because they believe Teela is going to upstage He-Man. Also that they think her new haircut is disgusting, Kevin Smith is "woke" because it appears Teela will have a girlfriend, and that Teela shouldn't have a better physique than Prince Adam (pre-transformation).

More fish squirming as the ocean leaves them behind.

Oh jesus it gets worse. Now they're forming clubs and organizing!

• Haha 2

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought so initially until they showed Teela in another part looking like her classic self. Maybe that's a flashback? That's what confused me. 

Kevin Smith teased that Teela has always been the lone person in He-Man's circle to be left out on his secret identity, and that the show explores the consequences of that, should she happen to find out.

I'm guessing there's a falling out, and a time jump where Teela is on her own, changes her look, potentially gets herself a female bedfellow, etc.

1 minute ago, Reputator said:

Kevin Smith teased that Teela has always been the lone person in He-Man's circle to be left out on his secret identity, and that the show explores the consequences of that, should she happen to find out.

I'm guessing there's a falling out, and a time jump where Teela is on her own, changes her look, potentially gets herself a female bedfellow, etc.

That's actually kinda hilarious :lol: I have no idea about the plot of the show so yeah. Is She-ra involved in this at all?

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I thought so initially until they showed Teela in another part looking like her classic self. Maybe that's a flashback? That's what confused me. 

Yea I had to look it up, the big give away is her classic white outfit is underneath the brown vest.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's actually kinda hilarious :lol: I have no idea about the plot of the show so yeah. Is She-ra involved in this at all?

That I don't know, but it would be kinda weird to ignore her character I'd think, since the show continues directly off the 80s show and the two definitely had episodes together.

Yeah I’m guessing all the shots in that trailer of Teela in her classic outfit are from the first episode or flashbacks. Something will happen that causes her to drop the tiara and go on her own. Seems like maybe He Man is gone for awhile?

Unless this is a one off I’d guess She Ra doesn’t get introduced till a later season. How many crossover episodes were there? Secret of the Sword obviously. And I think He Man showed up a couple more times on She Ra but did she ever cross back over to He Man? If she shows up you need to introduce the Horde and that would be A LOT for one season. 

On 6/10/2021 at 5:27 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure if Kevin Smith is writing, directing, or just producing, but this show is a direct sequel to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe from 1983-85.

I do believe it was a rotation of 4 or 5 writers including Kevin as well as Marc Bernardin (who he co-hosts his weekly show at the Mos Eisley Cantina in Hollywood.) 

Also worth noting that he states this cartoon will actually be much more mature to the point wherein people CAN and WILL die in the show, so that's intriging!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reviews:

Because of all of these elements, the show doesn’t feel quite as refreshing or daring as She-Ra. But for a direct sequel to the original cartoon made to sell toys, its surprisingly modern; the dramatic opening paves the way for a new path even if Revelation never fully breaks away from its source.

68c3fd9b199c7c66887db349a6cbbf96.png
GIZMODO.COM

*Often satisfying, occasionally baffling, and meaningless to anyone else who isn't already interested in He-Man.

If you’re a He-Man fan, there’s far more to like about Masters of the Universe: Revelation than there is to dislike. It’s not perfect, but Kevin Smith has pulled off a remarkable tightrope act of making a sequel to a show that never had serialized storytelling, a series that somehow keeps the framework of a cartoon made for eight-year-olds while building a story designed for middle-aged nerds who still have the original Castle Grayskull playset hanging around in their garage, attic, or living room. If you’re one of those people, Revelation was literally made for you (and me). Everybody else…maybe go rewatch Loki?

958e2a92efff5b098c604d02dd0e77be
WWW.YAHOO.COM

The original He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe is perhaps the quintessential nostalgic animated 1980s show. Its static animation, ultra-masculine approach to its magical-fantasy world, strained comic quips and sidekicks, and hokey end-of episode lessons make the show nigh-unwatchable now for anyone but fans of the original. Those viewers are the target audience for Masters Of The Universe: Revelation, a rare, actual sequel series. Unlike...

Even if the characterization is hit or miss, Masters Of The Universe: Revelation still shows real acumen in its dynamic action scenes and vibrant colors, courtesy of Powerhouse Animation (which is also behind Netflix’s slick, stylish Castlevania series). Bear McCreary’s music for the show and the sound design are meant to match the 1983 iteration, but the writing and storytelling is leagues above its previous incarnations, as Revelation delves deep into themes of loss, trauma, betrayal, and trust. Revelation is billed as an adult animated show, but it’s not nearly as gory as Castlevania or Invincible; save for a moment in the fifth episode, it never shows any blood. That doesn’t mean the show is bloodless—it’s remarkable how Smith and his team manage to take a property so genuinely, obviously toyetic and turn it into something intriguing and reflective. If you can buy into the wholesale changes and choices made in this Netflix series—and it is a huge buy-in—Masters Of The Universe: Revelation is, indeed, eye-opening.

MERc349b63894fdd98b1d8a5877a171a_masters
DATEBOOK.SFCHRONICLE.COM

While it’s invigorating to see He-Man, Skeletor and crew gussied up with a 2021 makeover, the series does threaten to stumble under the weight of its grimness.

But the sudden stark tone does feel a bit incongruous since “Revelation” specifically uses the classic series as its starting point, making comparisons both inevitable and slightly jarring. Even so, it’s a promising start to a still-unfolding story. Smith did such a good enough job paying homage to the Eternian mythology we know, while also delving into new, unseen directions, that it’s worth hanging in to see how he’ll wrap things up.

“Masters of the Universe: Revelation” may not be revelatory just yet, but it does have some power.

TQ4XgxvFuY6kYzpE8nUU6-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

Netflix’s Masters of the Universe: Revelation Part 1 does justice to the original He-Man animated show

That Revelation Part 1 packs so much into its near three-hour runtime, though, is testament to Kevin Smith and Netflix’s ability to reinvent He-Man as an animated show. It’s well paced, doesn’t feel rushed or too bogged down in its semantics, and its shocking ending will leave you immediately wanting more.

Advertisement

Established fans and newcomers alike, then, will get a kick out of this simultaneously nostalgic and modern take on the He-Man legend. If you’re looking for your next animated binge watch, Masters of the Universe: Revelation Part 1 should be at the top of your list.

mastersoftheuniverse-revelation-part1-ep
WWW.IGN.COM

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation is a big take-having, big swing-taking He-Man sequel that superbly flips the script on the mythos and characters.

Kevin Smith's Masters of the Universe: Revelation is a big take-having, big swing-taking He-Man sequel that superbly flips the script on the mythos and characters. It makes the bold choice that Prince Adam and He-Man should be integral to the story, but not central, allowing them to push forward others' arcs in interesting new ways. Kevin Smith has created an eye-popping serialized after-Eternia arc that features tragedies, bitter choices, and dark feelings amid the previously nutty world of these super-buff titans and robots. And it works like a charm.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Masters of the Universe: Revelation (Netflix, July 23) - reviews posted

I finished the first two episodes. I can already imagine the neckbeards foaming at the mouth as the second episode doesn't feature He-Man at all. I kinda wish Teela and her "friend" randomly broke out into a full on makeout session just so the man-children's pacemakers short out.

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

I finished the first two episodes. I can already imagine the neckbeards foaming at the mouth as the second episode doesn't feature He-Man at all. I kinda wish Teela and her "friend" randomly broke out into a full on makeout session just so the man-children's pacemakers short out.

I watched the first 5 min this morning and right away you can tell this show isn’t really about He-Man

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm thoroughly enjoying this so far!  It's definitely a more mature take on the mythos but definitely not too dark at all which I appreciate!

The subtle nod to another 80s toy-based cartoon series got a chuckle out of me :p

Reveal hidden contents

I thought that was a nod to the Masters movie?

• Like 1

Just finished watching the first 3 and will watch the other 2 tomorrow. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the classic series but my gawd does it bring back some warm and fuzzies. Loving the animation and at times, really has a slightly stiff 80’s animation with some movements at times. Normally that would be jarring, but it feels right here. I kept thinking Liam Neeson was Man-at-Arms but surprised to see that this was just more Game of Thrones alumni. As for the voices. I find Gellar a little wooden with her voice work at times, but delivers in others. Rest of the cast has been great, and I just love hearing Stephen Root again. (Bring back Jimmy James and NewsRadio reboot please) can’t wait to finish the next 2 tomorrow

Finished Part 1.

The emotional moments were a bit forced, but the story and action are very enjoyable. They're definitely setting up Teela to be the next Champion, and again my fantasy of seeing mass neckbeard pacemaker failure is at an all-time wet peak!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Man babies Unite!

Masters-Of-The-Universe-Revelation-Revie
MOVIEWEB.COM

While critics have been full of praise Masters of the Universe: Revelation, audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and social media have blasted the show.

:lol: It's their loss!

Also I can see Kevin Smith's remarks about He-Man and Skeletor not being sidelined as being in reference to the series as a whole. Part 1 was almost a prolong to setting up MOTU Skeletor. Prince Adam is injured but not dead by the end of the first five episodes, so he could appear as a more prominent character in Part 2.

20 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Just watched the first episode.  Liked it.  Not sure how much I bought Teela’s extreme reaction to finding out who He Man really is though.

It threw me off too but I guess that revelation 

Spoiler

coupled with his apparent death and the fact that they hid it from his father, The King, made it make sense to a degree.