Barr Installs Outside Prosecutor to Review Case Against Michael Flynn, Ex-Trump Adviser

Jason

Amid turmoil in the U.S. attorney’s office in Washington, the attorney general has also sent outside prosecutors to review other politically sensitive cases.

Over the past two weeks, the outside prosecutors have begun grilling line prosecutors in the Washington office about various cases — some public, some not — including investigative steps, prosecutorial actions and why they took them, according to the people. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive internal deliberations.

• 2 months later...

Just to remind everyone, the "case" against Flynn is that he lied to the FBI. Which he did. Which he already admitted in court.

I feel like this is an important point to make. This isn't like Manafort or Stone where you could go down a rabbit hole of complexity over what they did, and how the " deep state" might have done this or that. 

While the trial has revealed further abhorrent behavior by Flynn(so much so that the judge labeled him treasonous) the crime he is charged with is still just the one thing. Which he definitely did. And already pled guilty to....

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Just to remind everyone, the "case" against Flynn is that he lied to the FBI. Which he did. Which he already admitted in court.

I feel like this is an important point to make. This isn't like Manafort or Stone where you could go down a rabbit hole of complexity over what they did, and how the " deep state" might have done this or that. 

While the trial has revealed further abhorrent behavior by Flynn(so much so that the judge labeled him treasonous) the crime he is charged with is still just the one thing. Which he definitely did. And already pled guilty to....

Lying to the FBI is just a process crime. Nobody got hurt! VERY UNFAIR!

On 4/30/2020 at 2:32 PM, CitizenVectron said:

"Trying to force him to lie" just means "They asked him a questions and he had to lie if he wanted to avoid jail."

I think it's even worse than that. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the fifth amendment applies in Flynn's situation. He didn't even have to lie or admit the true. He had the option of not answering.

And it occured to me that there is yet more idiocy involved here. I remember a Chris Hayes segment a while back where Sanders or someone came out and told a lie about Trump that was obviously a lie(it might have been about that check from Trump to Cohen that he produced that all but said "campaign finance crime to silence one of my mistesses" in the memo line).

Anyway, it was a lie, and everyone in the conversation was bringing up strong circumstantial evidence that it was a lie. And they were like halfway through the segment before someone was like, "Guys, Trump admitted to that two weeks ago".

It was a real time example of how Trump lays down so many layers of bullshit that even pundits who do this for a living can't keep track of everything. And so you find yourself in arguments about this stuff, and there can be examples of Trump outright admitting something. But if it happened more than a week ago no one fucking remembers each.

Which is a long winded way of saying that in my first post I said what I thought was the most basic fact of why Flynn was guilty. And then I came back to one even more basic than that.

He fired him for it!

Trump himself fired Flynn for (supposedly) lying to Pence about the exact same thing he lied to the FBI about! 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/attorney-general-william-barr-on-michael-flynn-obamacare-and-coronavirus-restrictions-transcript/

The transcript of the interview is now available. It's a total softball from a former 23 year Fox News correspondent. The most concerning part is, Bill Barr doesn't even make the argument Flynn didn't lie. The reason for dropping the case, he says, is because the investigation itself was not legitimate. Therefor anything related to the investigation should be null and void.