SaysWho?

~*Official Democratic Party Primary Thread of Chaos, Conspiracy, and Communism*~

Culinary Union in Nevada comes out against Sanders' and Warren's health care plans. Side note: The union did not endorse in 2016's primary (they endorsed Hillary in the general). Sanders has strong union support elsewhere, but Nevada is the next caucus, and I'm reading they're a key union in the state.

Sanders responds to them and Buttigieg's comments on Medicare-for-All and the union:

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Saw a quote on Twitter: people say you can’t buy elections, but we’ve never tested it at this price point

Ugh.

I've read some anecdotal stories on Twitter of people jumping from Warren to Bloomberg. I know someone who is like that, personally. I don't get it at all.

34 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Saw a quote on Twitter: people say you can’t buy elections, but we’ve never tested it at this price point

2 minutes ago, Jose said:

Ugh.

I've read some anecdotal stories on Twitter of people jumping from Warren to Bloomberg. I know someone who is like that, personally. I don't get it at all.

The more I read about Bloomberg, the more this looks like his m.o.: just  buy off the small fish for a large amount of money (for us) which the sum total impact to Bloomberg is minimal. 

37 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

His ads are fucking everywhere, at least for me. All over tv and my FB feed. So if I think of some average joe blow who doesn't pay much attention, I can see him getting support. The only ads I've seen for me are his and Trump's, and I see nothing of everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

His ads are fucking everywhere, at least for me. All over tv and my FB feed. So if I think of some average joe blow who doesn't pay much attention, I can see him getting support. The only ads I've seen for me are his and Trump's, and I see nothing of everyone else.

The “beauty” of being in a Super Tuesday state. I get the same thing. Other campaigns have a budget, Bloomberg really doesn’t. 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The “beauty” of being in a Super Tuesday state. I get the same thing. Other campaigns have a budget, Bloomberg really doesn’t. 

Right, and much like you I'm sure I've been seeing his ads since before the Super Bowl. So by the time our primary hits, he has blitzed the state with 2 months of constant ads, while everyone will do what 2 weeks worth? And if you don't pay much attention does some average guy in Gilbert Arizona know who the fuck say the mayor of some city in a state you probably can't find a map anymore is based off his 1 week of ads when you've seen Bloomberg and Trump on tv since the New year?

I would say it's like Ross Perot, but Perot at least had some charisma and likability too. Bloomberg is just straight blitzing my state, and I'm sure many others with non stop ads. 

Bloomberg has had free rein in the Super Tuesday media markets since the end of last year and it's definitely reflected in the polling data.

5 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Culinary Union in Nevada comes out against Sanders' and Warren's health care plans. Side note: The union did not endorse in 2016's primary (they endorsed Hillary in the general). Sanders has strong union support elsewhere, but Nevada is the next caucus, and I'm reading they're a key union in the state.

Sanders responds to them and Buttigieg's comments on Medicare-for-All and the union:

Apparently the Bernie Bros are unhappy with this outcome:

While I very much understand that unions don't want to lose their hard fought healthcare plans, I'm still surprised that this seems to be their primary point of contention with progressive dems. 

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Apparently the Bernie Bros are unhappy with this outcome:

While I very much understand that unions don't want to lose their hard fought healthcare plans, I'm still surprised that this seems to be their primary point of contention with progressive dems. 

Ill admit I am dumb as a bag bricks but why would they lose it?

5 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

It depends on the M4A plan, but some of them involve essentially eliminating private health insurance. 

6 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Private health insurance would cease to exist under a Sanders plan.

Just now, TwinIon said:

It depends on the M4A plan, but some of them involve essentially eliminating private health insurance. 

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

Shows how much I have been paying attention 

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

Right, and much like you I'm sure I've been seeing his ads since before the Super Bowl. So by the time our primary hits, he has blitzed the state with 2 months of constant ads, while everyone will do what 2 weeks worth? And if you don't pay much attention does some average guy in Gilbert Arizona know who the fuck say the mayor of some city in a state you probably can't find a map anymore is based off his 1 week of ads when you've seen Bloomberg and Trump on tv since the New year?

I would say it's like Ross Perot, but Perot at least had some charisma and likability too. Bloomberg is just straight blitzing my state, and I'm sure many others with non stop ads. 

Yes, nothing but Bloomberg ads here in Florida.

This is in large part of the Citizens United Supreme Court case. There are barely limits to anything. It was actually in the past week-ish that I learned of another case, McCutcheon v. FEC. Quick wiki summary if you don't know about it:

"McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission, 572 U.S. 185 (2014), is a landmark campaign finance decision of the United States Supreme Court. The decision held that Section 441 of the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA), which imposed a limit on contributions an individual can make over a two-year period to national party and federal candidate committees, is unconstitutional."

34 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

As a union member my only concern is my employer pocketing 100% of the savings.

29 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

As a union member my only concern is my employer pocketing 100% of the savings.

I mean, at least in theory you can use this as leverage in the next negotiation to get better pay or working conditions

Wow the ads worked really well for Bloomberg. Amazing that he has so much support from minorities after overseeing aggressive police tactics in minority neighborhoods and he has boasted about his belief in these tactics. It really sucks that he seems to be getting the traction. I want criminal justice reform from the center lane! Fuck old Biden and “Mike”. 

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Yes, nothing but Bloomberg ads here in Florida.

This is in large part of the Citizens United Supreme Court case. There are barely limits to anything. It was actually in the past week-ish that I learned of another case, McCutcheon v. FEC. Quick wiki summary if you don't know about it:

"McCutcheon v. Federal Election Commission, 572 U.S. 185 (2014), is a landmark campaign finance decision of the United States Supreme Court. The decision held that Section 441 of the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA), which imposed a limit on contributions an individual can make over a two-year period to national party and federal candidate committees, is unconstitutional."

Bloomberg spending on himself is not an issue Citizen United touches on. There haven’t ever been limits on candidate donations to their own campaigns.

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

Wow the ads worked really well for Bloomberg. Amazing that he has so much support from minorities after overseeing aggressive police tactics in minority neighborhoods and he has boasted about his belief in these tactics. It really sucks that he seems to be getting the traction. I want criminal justice reform from the center lane! Fuck old Biden and “Mike”. 

That's gotta really bother Pete.

If you want a moderate, you have two decent candidates in Buttigieg and Klobuchar, I don’t know what Bloomberg has to offer you except baggage.  All the arguments premised on the idea that being the mayor of a city in no way makes you qualified to be president apply as much to him as to Mayo Pete.