Update: D1P's piratepwnsninja joins Archetype Entertainment (new Wizards of the Coast studio founded by ex-BioWare veterans)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Archetype Entertainment joins the D&D and Magic: The Gathering company

Archetype’s debut project is described as a multi-platform role-playing game “set in an all-new science fiction universe that will send players on a story-driven epic where choices they make will have real consequences on how their story unfolds.” The property will be set outside of the D&D and Magic franchises.

Archetype Entertainment website

Wizards of the Coast’s new game development studio, Archetype Entertainment, has landed another former BioWare veteran: Drew Karpyshyn, the lead writer on Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 and senior writer on Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

“When I started at BioWare, everything was fresh and exciting,” Karpyshyn wrote. “It was a dream job — talented people working together to create epic games like Baldur’s Gate, KOTOR, Mass Effect and Dragon Age. But as we grew and became more successful, things changed. We became more corporate. We were less able to make what we loved, and the teams were pushed to create games based on market research rather than our creative instincts and passions. My dream job became just a job, and I lost the enthusiasm and excitement I once had.

“But with Archetype, my passion has been rekindled. The feel in the studio reminds me of my early days at BioWare; I can feel the magic in the air. And even though I can’t get too deep into the specifics of what we’re working on yet, we’re already generating plenty of excitement in the industry.”

• 1 month later...