KOTOR Remake Rumored to be in the works...

skillzdadirecta

23 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I was trying to make it clear that I understood that turn based doesn’t mean paused combat. 

Again, like I said, KOTOR is absolutely turned based as described. But what I’m saying is that the term “turn based” came to mean a specific (yet somewhat ambiguous) thing, and calling KOTOR a turn based RPG doesn’t really meet those parameters. That is what you’re seeing in this thread - people who have adopted that term to mean something specific in their minds and then seeing it applied to something that it doesn’t match up for.

Well, the fact that I said “keep it turn-based” should have clued those people in unless they never played KOTOR or a pre-Mass Effect BioWare game before :p 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Well, the fact that I said “keep it turn-based” should have clued those people in unless they never played KOTOR or a pre-Mass Effect BioWare game before :p 

You weren’t the only one who called it turn based though, I wasn’t trying to single anyone out. 

17 minutes ago, BlueAngel said:

I tried last week but it doesn't play well with Windows 10 at all the game just crashed. Unfortunately my RX480 doesn't have any kind of legacy support for windows beyond 7 so I may throw a 7 install on my other drive that has a linux install on it and hope it works on there otherwise I need to get this rig I found on the street working but I don't have any old GPU's laying around so I would have to find an older card for it or find my 8800GT. Would be nice to have a legacy rig for situations like this.

That's weird, it worked just fine with my Windows 10? I played it on my main monster rig and it worked perfectly, weird. Let me know exactly what the problem is, I can't remember if I did anything after I installed it on Steam to get it to work.

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

I tried last week but it doesn't play well with Windows 10 at all the game just crashed. Unfortunately my RX480 doesn't have any kind of legacy support for windows beyond 7 so I may throw a 7 install on my other drive that has a linux install on it and hope it works on there otherwise I need to get this rig I found on the street working but I don't have any old GPU's laying around so I would have to find an older card for it or find my 8800GT. Would be nice to have a legacy rig for situations like this.

This reddit page may help. It has a bunch of mods to make the game more playable on modern hardware.

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

KOTOR 3-9 happened already in the Star Wars The Old Republic. 

Ehhh not really the same, especially since that's an MMO, and a proper KOTOR III would be single player focused. 

I guess I also wouldn't mind a complete reboot though either. Start the series over, but now be canon. 

11 minutes ago, Brick said:

Ehhh not really the same, especially since that's an MMO, and a proper KOTOR III would be single player focused.

Have you played it? If you ignore the MMO parts it's very KOTOR. The story is very robust for all the classes. You go on quests. I mean you can even solo it if you so choose.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Have you played it? If you ignore the MMO parts it's very KOTOR. The story is very robust for all the classes. You go on quests. I mean you can even solo it if you so choose.

I have not, but with it being an MMO wouldn't a lot of it be focused on multiplayer stuff? 

• Guillotine 1

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

“Turn-based” doesn’t mean “paused”. There’s an internal and unseen dice-roll happening with each action, characters wait for the roll (ie: their turn) before attempting the action. In an action RPG, a dice roll may still occur but it’s caused and controlled by the player and is usually limited to damage amounts as dodging/aim is based on hit detection.
There are multiple kinds of turn-based combat, tactical (ie: FF7, Grandia), real-time (pretty much all pre-Mass Effect BioWare games). Not trying to split-hairs or anything, but, if not “turn-based”, I don’t know what else to reference the combat style as.

It’s kinda odd Skillz upvoted your post unless he never played KOTOR and had no idea what I was referencing by “keep it turn-based”. :confused: 

Of course I've played KOTOR and I'm currently playing the second one now. I even acknowledged in my response that I may have misunderstood what you meant, because your initial post implied two things: ONE, that you consider the original KOTOR to be a turn based game and TWO that, if the next game doesn't play like that, then it's simply an action game like Fallen Order. I acknowledged that I may have misunderstood what you meant, you clarified and even continued to clarify with this post... cool. No need to question whether or not I've actually played the game that I'm actually posting about. 

I really don’t care what you call it. Wikipedia calls it “round based.” I think my friends and I just eventually started calling that style KOTOR or Bioware-style combat, knowing full well it was not the original game by any means to do its combat like that.

I always thought of this style being referred to as "Active Time Battle" or something like that which is the phrase that the developers of Grandia came up with at the time, I think. I never regarded KOTOR or DA:O as being turn based games but whatever. It's why, again, I acknowledged that i may have misunderstood something in his post.

22 minutes ago, Brick said:

I have not, but with it being an MMO wouldn't a lot of it be focused on multiplayer stuff? 

It used to be, but now they even have story mode dungeons. That means you, your companion, and a tank robot enter a dungeon and you get the full dungeon experience but solo. The PvP can be ignored 100%. When I played it, the only reason I could even tell it was an MMO was from the other people just hanging out in the world. 

At least this is all true for the base version(1-50) of the story. The story that was there at launch. Just in December I played through the vanilla Bounty Hunter story all solo. Never partied up with a single player. But yeah, SWTOR can easily be played solo and it is far better that way IMO. Also, even the newer DLC was designed for Solo play if that is how you wish to go about things. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

It used to be, but now they even have story mode dungeons. That means you, your companion, and a tank robot enter a dungeon and you get the full dungeon experience but solo. The PvP can be ignored 100%. When I played it, the only reason I could even tell it was an MMO was from the other people just hanging out in the world. 

At least this is all true for the base version(1-50) of the story. The story that was there at launch. Just in December I played through the vanilla Bounty Hunter story all solo. Never partied up with a single player. But yeah, SWTOR can easily be played solo and it is far better that way IMO. Also, even the newer DLC was designed for Solo play if that is how you wish to go about things. 

What he said.

Though when I played I did pair up with a rando for a couple of hours one time... :p

11 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Is Knights of The Old Republic free to play? I may check it out after I'm done with KOTOR 2.

It's completely free though I think you need to be a subscriber for the newer expansions. Though from what I understand if you subscribe for one month and it expires you'll still have access to all the story content.

I will say it's worth (or it was when you COULD get it) the starter pack off amazon for like $40. (You got some goodies a 90 day subscription and some cartel coins (You can still get a 90 day prepaid on amazon though)) - But ignore all that first if you just want to give the game a shot which you can do for free.

Here's a breakdown of F2p vs subscriber / preferred benefits: https://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/wiki/f2p

• Thanks 1