Looking into building a new PC

Rev

I want to spend around $1,000.00, maybe like $1,300.00 at most. I plan to use it heavily for VR, and would like it to play AAA games at 4k/60fps, etc. I've been out of the loop on which brands, etc. are the best or most popular lately. Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

I want to spend around $1,000.00, maybe like $1,300.00 at most. I plan to use it heavily for VR, and would like it to play AAA games at 4k/60fps, etc. I've been out of the loop on which brands, etc. are the best or most popular lately. Any thoughts?

Your budget isnt gonna cover 4k 60 fps. You need a 2080 S or better which is gonna be $700 but ideally you gonna want 2080ti which is your entire budget. 

Quick and dirty

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hK397T

6 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Your budget isnt gonna cover 4k 60 fps. You need a 2080 S or better which is gonna be $700 but ideally you gonna want 2080ti which is your entire budget. 

Quick and dirty

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hK397T

Does it matter which brand?  Would something like https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Dual-Fan-Graphics-DUAL-RTX2080TI-11G/dp/B07XVSQKRS/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=2080ti&qid=1579482069&sr=8-9 be good? Only 900 something.

15 minutes ago, Rev said:

My current pc can do 4K @ 30 with my nvidia 1080. It’s just getting old. 

A 2080 Ti is twice as fast as a 1080, so simply swapping that in by itself will give you the 4k60 performance out of the games you're currently getting. 

As long as you have a Core i7, or 4 core/8 thread processor, or better, you shouldn't need to worry about a CPU bottleneck at 4k.  If you only have an i5, or a CPU that's 4 cores/4 threads or less, only a couple of games are going to be affected at 4k, so you could still get by until you can upgrade the rest of your system.

50 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

A 2080 Ti is twice as fast as a 1080, so simply swapping that in by itself will give you the 4k60 performance out of the games you're currently getting. 

As long as you have a Core i7, or 4 core/8 thread processor, or better, you shouldn't need to worry about a CPU bottleneck at 4k.  If you only have an i5, or a CPU that's 4 cores/4 threads or less, only a couple of games are going to be affected at 4k, so you could still get by until you can upgrade the rest of your system.

My processor is bottlenecking me as well. I could just replace both, I suppose but I’m also having issues with what appears to be my usb 3.0 ports not keeping a stable connection and I’m worried the mb and other parts will start failing before long. 

1 minute ago, emalider said:

Not necessarily. The Rift S recommended specs are i5-4590/ryzen 5 1500x.

We recently got the Oculus link cable for our Quest and it's pretty sweet.

Yeah, I have that too. That's how I noticed my USB 3.0 ports don't seem to hold a stable connection. It disconnects the Quest randomly. :/

A 2080 Ti struggles in quite a few games for 4k/60.

What are your current specs beyond the 1080? It may make more sense to upgrade everything except your GPU and grab a 3xxx RTX card that is supposedly coming in spring, otherwise that 4k/60 area isn’t going to last very long... especially with Cyberpunk and more-and-more RTX/Ray-Traced games on the horizon

• 1 month later...

Honestly, I would do what Spork suggested. From what is rumored (new node, 50% gains), the increase should be substantial this spring/summer. I feel like now is a bad time to buy a gpu for 4k gaming. I’d expect big rtx gains with the cards as well. Just buy the rest of the computer now and stick with the 1080 until the new series comes out IMO

10 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly, I would do what Spork suggested. From what is rumored (new node, 50% gains), the increase should be substantial this spring/summer. I feel like now is a bad time to buy a gpu for 4k gaming. I’d expect big rtx gains with the cards as well. Just buy the rest of the computer now and stick with the 1080 until the new series comes out IMO

Any estimates on how much the 3xxx card might cost when it releases?

On 1/22/2020 at 2:53 AM, Spork3245 said:

A 2080 Ti struggles in quite a few games for 4k/60.

What are your current specs beyond the 1080? It may make more sense to upgrade everything except your GPU and grab a 3xxx RTX card that is supposedly coming in spring, otherwise that 4k/60 area isn’t going to last very long... especially with Cyberpunk and more-and-more RTX/Ray-Traced games on the horizon

Thanks for this advice. I think I’m gonna do this. I just need to put together a desktop now which will be as good as I can get for about 2200 including the rtx 3xxx which is compatible with both my gtx 1080 and the future rtx3xxx

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, Rev said:

Thanks for this advice. I think I’m gonna do this. I just need to put together a desktop now which will be as good as I can get for about 2200 including the rtx 3xxx which is compatible with both my gtx 1080 and the future rtx3xxx

What did you end up going with?