~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

18 minutes ago, SlipperySlope said:

Even more so when you realize that in absolute numbers, the US has more smokers than Italy. I feel the need to point that out because I've seen some people point to the deaths in Italy as a comment on the percentage of adults that smoke there.

Here's what my school/work situation is like:

• All schools shut down for remainder of school year
  • All school staff not working this upcoming week (still paid) to self-care
  • All students moved up to next grade (or graduation), no exceptions
  • All failing marks bumped to 50%
  • Students will be given chance to continue with new supplemental curriculum online (being developed) with 5-20 hours of school work per week from home
  • High school students can improve marks with this supplemental work
  • Teachers will deliver material through online classrooms
  • University entrance qualifications will be amended next year

So actually, they've handled it really well for both staff and students, I am impressed. My department is fortunately being paid through to next year since we will be needed to continue servicing tickets and to maintain the online system, etc. We also have projects we are working on that will need to continue (replacing entire intercom systems in our 32 schools with VOIP phones/classroom audio). Also replacing about 1,000 student laptops this summer so we'll need to image them and move stuff around in schools.

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So many people are viewing this as a holiday: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-51994504

Unprecedented scenes as Britains flock to holiday areas

_111385753_penypass-saturday20thmarch.jp

I have to admit, it frustrates me a bit to see stories about how people just can't manage to avoid going out and congregating. There's nothing I would like more than to stay home with some Minecraft , but my place of work remains open. And, has already been said on this thread, after years of shit wages and no growth, it sure is a funny joke to see just who are "essential workers" now....

Kroger to give all associates a bonus, expands paid time off for COVID self-quarantine.

They're doing what they can to keep our DC safe while still functioning with record volume. Every shift, a member of the maintenance team is dedicated to disinfecting pretty much everything. They've split us into 3 groups for breaks/lunches, so the break room is less crammed.

A few weeks ago, they put a cap on how much overtime you could work... that's gone now. I don't seek out a lot of overtime because it's a very physical job and my body sucks, but some of the dudes on my shift are loving this. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Even more so when you realize that in absolute numbers, the US has more smokers than Italy. I feel the need to point that out because I've seen some people point to the deaths in Italy as a comment on the percentage of adults that smoke there.

That was my thought when I heard how high the mortality rate is in Italy. I thought there HAD to be a link between how much they smoke and their response to the virus.

35 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That was my thought when I heard how high the mortality rate is in Italy. I thought there HAD to be a link between how much they smoke and their response to the virus.

Italy has a higher percentage of adults smokers than the US, for sure, but it's not some crazy higher percentage. We're talking 24% vs 14%. That leaves us with, what? Three times as many smokers as Italy in total numbers? We likely won't come out of this any better than they.

34 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’m amazed they had that many tests. 

Thing is I’m sure at this point we have vastly more unconfirmed cases than we do confirmed cases on Covid-19 infections. 

Considering our piss poor response we are probably on fire and don't even know it.

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

I have to admit, it frustrates me a bit to see stories about how people just can't manage to avoid going out and congregating. There's nothing I would like more than to stay home with some Minecraft , but my place of work remains open. And, has already been said on this thread, after years of shit wages and no growth, it sure is a funny joke to see just who are "essential workers" now....

Makes you realize if there were an alien attack we would all be fucked.