~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

5 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Honestly, something needs to be passed for us. We’re out here busting our asses risking infection for the same shitty pay rates we were getting when everyone was complacent.

Agreed.  The people still working are at such a high risk and will no doubt unwittingly spread the virus because of the people they'll be exposed to, and now I have to vent about my work situation...

Currently I am working at an E-commerce warehouse for Walmart and it is insane, as you can imagine everyone is buying from home now.  The pay rate is actually decent for my area, but the working conditions under this "we must contain the virus" is not.  There are almost no precautions implemented since the outbreak has started growing in the U.S. at this facility.  I am working within a 6 foot radius of several people at a time, and to maintain productivity we often have to migrate from station to station.  Everyone is touching everything and they do not have any kind of cleaning supplies for us to use.  They are also currently hiring 400 more people to bring into this already crowded building.  During meetings they (the area managers) are not encouraging any kind of social distancing behaviors.  There are about 3 people for every microwave, and they are making everyone go on lunch at the same time.  The lunch tables are cheap fast food types: Four people to a table using benches instead of chairs.  The break room is packed and are people forced to sit next to each other when everyone goes at the same time.  If one infected person comes into that building, and specifically my department, everyone is going to spread the virus.  

On top of that, because of the insanely high workload the building is forcing the people actually employed by them (I am coming into the building as an outsider) to work 6 ten hour shifts per week.  Since this facility is fulfilling online orders, the employees were only expecting this amount of work between Black Friday and Christmas.  But they have been completely busy since October of last year, working 50-60+ hour weeks, with only about a 3-4 week reprieve in January to their  normal 40 hour work week.   It's a bad situation being made worse by people who are tired and care even less about cleanliness.  I have also noticed the work areas are getting dirtier/dustier by the week, as there are spills (broken grocery items, soups, pasta sauce, etc) that  haven't been cleaned for several days and I can see dust bunnies under tables that were not there a month ago.  I guess they can't spare anyone to push a fucking mop and broom!  I wonder how much profit Walmart is making off this panic buying.

I could leave at any time, but I'm am erring on the side of caution of getting paid as much as I can while I still can.  I'm normally socially isolated, and healthy, so me being infected would be low risk.  But I still would rather not have any risk of spreading it to the few people I do interact with, so by the day I am more and more considering a quarantine, especially if that place doesn't give us some disinfectant spray and paper towels.

So there is a bit of irony here.  People are told to stay home and go out as little as possible, but since we have the ability to order and bring whatever we want to our doorstep people are doing that at an increased rate.  This is putting a huge burden the likes of Amazon and Walmart, such that these companies are hiring more employees to stuff into central locations, demand these people put in above average work hours, and do absolutely nothing to clean the work areas (in my situation), which as a result will provide the perfect breeding ground for this virus to spread rapidly.  

18 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

So my son just found out that his employer is making sure each employee works only works 1 day a week to prevent them from filing unemployment. Only management is getting their normal shifts. 

File the claim anyhow.

19 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

So my son just found out that his employer is making sure each employee works only works 1 day a week to prevent them from filing unemployment. Only management is getting their normal shifts. 

I don't know about every state, but in Texas you can file for unemployment even for massive reductions in hours. And screw this company. They trash.

2 hours ago, chakoo said:

What chain does she work for? I'm just curious how different chains are handling this. I've been really liking the constant communication put out by the loblaw team.

Fortinos is the name of her store. I just don’t know if this is for all store locations or just hers. Plus I just got another email from work for yet another conference call as of 9am tomorrow. Probably more of the same but who knows anymore 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I have no clue what in the fuck he's talking about.

Unless he's referring to the phrase, "get that corn cob outta your ass." It's basically the same as if you used the word "broomstick" so I still don't really get it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171207033905/https://www.farmersalmanac.com/home-garden/2016/05/02/what-did-people-use-before-toilet-paper/

In rural agrarian communities, handfuls of straw were frequently used, but one of the most popular items to use for clean-up was dried corncobs. They were plentiful, and quite efficient at cleaning. They could be drawn in one direction, or turned on an axis. They were also softer on tender areas than you might think. Even after toilet paper became available, some people in Western states still preferred corncobs when using the outhouse.

25 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'm having a hard time imagining how corncobs would be effective.

If they're wet, you're putting slimy cornwater on your cornhole. :sick: 

If they're dry, you're scraping your cornhole up something fierce. :nervous:

Lord have mercy. 

To understand, google corn cob butt plug. If you can’t shit, you don’t need TP. 
Actually, don’t. 

• Haha 1

Italian Doctors Are Coming Out of Retirement to Treat Coronavirus — and Dying

The world’s deadliest coronavirus outbreak is devastating Italy’s doctors, with the death toll among physicians now at 14.

Italian doctors have been dying at a rate of more than one a day since the first physician’s death on March 11, according to the federation of Italian doctors guilds, which added five names to its list of “fallen doctors” Thursday. Among the victims were two doctors in the northern city of Como — pneumologist Giuseppe Lanati, 73, and GP Luigi Frusciante, 71 — who had come out of retirement to help respond to the outbreak, only to succumb to the virus themselves.

• Sad 3