~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

19 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Not nu, but Omicron.

health-coronavirus-africa.JPG
WWW.CBC.CA

A new coronavirus variant that was identified this week in South Africa has been named a variant of concern and given the name Omicron by the World Health Organization.

Sounds like a Transformers villain.

• Haha 1

Based on nothing but my own gut, I am going to predict that this variant will dominate infection worldwide within 3-4 weeks, and will prove to reduce the efficacy of the vaccines down to something like 10-20% for stopping infection. The vaccines will still hold up in terms of preventing severe disease for most people (since T-cell response is quite different than antibody response, and relies less on the shape of spike protein). Regardless, hospitals will once again start to become overloaded as more and more unvaccinated people enter them as the virus spreads among both vaccinated and unvaccinated. Most governments will be afraid to introduce lockdowns, etc, until it's too late. New vaccines for this variant (and Delta) will be released mid-to-late-2022 and will prove quite effective. We will enter 2023 roughly where we are right now, except that the far-right will have taken advantage of this in the US as well as Europe.

• True 1

This is why the development of therapeutics remains a necessity. Many thought these would just be for the unvaccinated, but not so.

Everybody is going to catch this thing at some point.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is why the development of therapeutics remains a necessity. Many thought these would just be for the unvaccinated, but not so.

Everybody is going to catch this thing at some point.

Honestly one "good" thing (despite the cost) to come out of this pandemic is the giant amounts of investment into anti-viral research, both preventative and treatment-wise. 

6ID5SNGVQZP4XOMVP65JT5JEXA.JPG
WWW.THEGLOBEANDMAIL.COM

Growing momentum for paid sick leave ignores underperformance of programs launched during the pandemic

Basically there is a movement in Canada to legally guarantee sick leave for all people. Most people have it through their work, but because it's not regulated, not all do. Also, lol at the article saying the pandemic-era temporary sick leave programs were "flops." Most of them required action after you took leave to be reimbursed by the government. If you know you have to do a bunch of paperwork to get paid after, you are far less likely to take it (especially it you make less to begin with). But if you know ahead of time that you can take a day off with pay, you are more likely to use it.

Per my sister this evening, my nieces husbands family all have contracted Covid last week. 4 out of the 10 are currently in the hospital  with 1 of the those in the ICU in piss poor shape. For fucks sake get your god damn vaccinations, fucking morons the entire lot of them.

• Sad 4
  • True 1

9 hours ago, vaxick said:

Suddenly, this David Bowie song from the PC/Dreamcast game Omikron: The Nomad Soul is going to take on a new meaning.  Thanks David Cage.

Between references to Omikron and the Pandemic Legacy board game there’s no way we’re not living in a simulation. 

• Haha 2

Well, it finally happened. A relative has fallen to Q over the vaccines and covid. 

So this is fairly distant, but I see them every Thanksgiving and Christmas. My cousin on my dad's side married this guy. I'm not super close with him, but he's always been generally pretty jovial and okay to cut up with at the holiday gatherings. He's always been right wing--his son's a cop, he was big into Trump. But that was fine. We could spar with one another here and there and leave it with a "but whatever" and be fine to move on. 

Last year, our thanksgiving and christmas gatherings (which usually had 20+ people at them) were cancelled for safety reasons. We started back this year since everyone (minus this guy) was vaccinated. He gets there and I find him. He's sitting in a room by himself watching football, brooding. I strike up some small talk because I know he liked to mix it up in the past and he's always outspoken. So I talk about my work's vaccine mandate. He says a couple of dismissive things and then says "but I'm on a short leash, so I can't talk much." The look on his face is really pained in that it looks like he wants to go off. 

He doesn't get in line when food's ready. He doesn't eat with us. After the meal, when we're all milling around, he's nowhere to be found. As I was leaving, I catch a glimpse of him and the rest of his family leaving in their car. He sat in his car the entire time alone. 

I talked with my hillbilly uncle and he was like "oh yeah, he's into that Q stuff. It made him angry at the world. He lost a few friends over it and might even quit his job." He makes $26/hr driving dump trucks. That's damn good money here. He's always been big on talk, and that might just be all talk... but with Q, you never know. And if it came to that, his wife--my cousin--might decide that's the last straw.

I wish I knew more. What got to him, if it's actually Qanon stuff, or just run of the mill (lol) right wing stuff on facebook
It's no one I'm really mourning over losing. I see him twice a year and have only really done that in the last 5-6 years. I didn't grow up with him or anything. But the drastic change from 2019 to now is stark. I just feel bad for everyone in his life that was more close to him or that had to deal with him in the day to day over the last two years. Facebook, Q, OANN, and all that garbage got to him.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My first morning back in Texas after a week and a half in Mexico and it's another planet. In Mexico everyone is wearing masks, everyone. Here it's like 2%, I'm at the gym and statistically at least half these people aren't vaxxed and probably got COVID on Thursday. Some will probably have lingering effects, maybe a few die. We deserve this. 

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

Also I hear sometimes oh it's hard to breathe while working out with a mask. If I can squat 425 with a mask you can curl 25lbs with it. 

Hmm, I don’t wear a mask in the gym when working out. I put it on at all times until I’m working out though. I don’t think we have to. I am a bit worried about it

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Also I hear sometimes oh it's hard to breathe while working out with a mask. If I can squat 425 with a mask you can curl 25lbs with it. 

I have 19% lung capacity and had on an n95+surgical mask through a spinal injection. They'll be fine.